Throat Singing!

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Although Canada's Inuit people can't lay claim to its invention, they are today the most accomplished at this very specialized form of singing. It is a very mesmerizing art form because it connects immediately with the audience. Not everyone's cup of tea, but I find it beautiful on various levels.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Throat singing is not normally done singularly. Duets are the more common.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Hello, John. While I can appreciate the art form and talent this may require? I rank it along the lines of a DJ scratching records.

Why?

Tom

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
Does the world really need this???

Is this an art, or just some kind of sound/noise she can create???

If my daughter was doing this, I would ask her to go to her room and close all the doors behind her before continuing.

This has about as much appeal to me a rap and hiphop.

Hopefully, time will filter this into the trash.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Does the world really need this???

YES! It's an Inuit tradition dating back hundreds of years.

Hopefully, time will filter this into the trash.

I suppose open-mindedness or belief in tradition isn't a part of your world? Quite sad really! The Inuit are trying very hard to keep this alive, and I, for one, hope they manage that.

My reason for posting this was quite simply to show another way in which singing is practiced. Would I go out and buy a CD of throat singing (and yes, they are available)? No, I wouldn't, but I can still appreciate the difficulty involved. I personally thought the video was very captivating, but I can understand why it wouldn't float anyone else boat.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
YES! It's an Inuit tradition dating back hundreds of years.

I suppose open-mindedness or belief in tradition isn't a part of your world? Quite sad really! The Inuit are trying very hard to keep this alive, and I, for one, hope they manage that.

My reason for posting this was quite simply to show another way in which singing is practiced. Would I go out and buy a CD of throat singing (and yes, they are available)? No, I wouldn't, but I can still appreciate the difficulty involved. I personally thought the video was very captivating, but I can understand why it wouldn't float anyone else boat.

The question I asked about throat singing could just as easily been asked, "Does the world really need Mozart?" and the honest answer would be "NO," except that he is nice to have around. In fairness to you, I will submit that throat singing could be looked at in the same manner as Mozart.

I'm certainly NOT for eliminating any cultural form of expression. I am all for the preservation of cultural activities and artifacts. I support various art museums and the Museum of Natural History. I was not aware that this was an old cultural form of singing on the verge of extinction, however, it if was something new, I would certainly not support it.

Last edited:

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Art expresses and evokes emotions. This made me want to go out and hunt deer with a flint tipped spear. Real Trippy in a very primordial kind of way.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Art expresses and evokes emotions. This made me want to go out and hunt deer with a flint tipped spear. Real Trippy in a very primordial kind of way.

LOL! Too funny Jack!

It ain't something I'll be requesting Chad to produce a 45RPM audiophile pressing of either!

I think what fascinates me about this is the technique itself, so I find it interesting. On it's own it doesn't hold much appeal, but I'd love to see some of it incorporated by someone like Peter Gabriel......that would be pretty cool!.

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
HI

The debate about what constitute art will go forever ... This form of emitting sound however seems to be at the very periphery of what many would call "Art". It may have some kind of ritualistic importance and I respect that but do people sit around and listen to these for a good time? I wonder and am not sure...

.. That it is given audience is laudable ... I am not sure it will spawn a craze throughout the world anytime soon ... The way that Hip-Hop and rap, art forms in my view did...

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
---...The home of all mankind; the musical wombs of women.

Some music can be listened to for very long time; others for much shorter time...
The emotional impacts they vary, as emotions come from various parts of our brain (chords).

Each tribe of our planet have their own culture, as each one of us we have our own 'beat' (rhythm).

True acceptance and true respect starts in ourselves.

To like or not like, to love or not love; is a learning process that takes time and experience.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
This is powerful stuff. While I passed on looking for flint to tie on to the end of my rake, I still have a hankering for venison. Damn you John!!!!!!

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
Hi! Nice to see such beautiful cultural heritage getting some recognition. To me, there is no throat singing without a mention of the great Batzorig Vaanchig. Can't wait for some more recommendations!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing