The Truth about Whats Best Forum

Also, 4N silver is not very good, IME 99% of folks find UPOCC copper to be superior.
I wish that was what my ears told me. Would have been cheaper...

Reactions: DLS
You should be happy with that development Bob ! Focus on rich guys and frivolous spending with limited sound improvement can never be good for audio dealers !:rolleyes:

Some people focus on the rich and the frivolities, others want to pursuit the interesting subject of the evolution of stereo sound reproduction along time and why some of us find the sound improvement is not so limited ... :)

Some people focus on the rich and the frivolities, others want to pursuit the interesting subject of the evolution of stereo sound reproduction along time and why some of us find the sound improvement is not so limited ... :)

there is no doubt that the sound has changed. The question is: is it better? Is it more convincing? Does it sound more natural?

we can certainly find a Sound we prefer because the choices are many. And yet there’s a lot of searching going on.

Here is a recent hifi critic interview with Peter Qvortrup lamenting how the industry has been going backwards.

Here is a recent hifi critic interview with Peter Qvortrup lamenting how the industry has been going backwards.
" A talented copyist " ! From the horse's mouth ! ;) We Danes are often full of it, and experts at pricing high !:rolleyes:

Reactions: tima
there is no doubt that the sound has changed. The question is: is it better? Is it more convincing? Does it sound more natural?

Peter,

I find so, particularly more convincing. And looking for published opinions and their explanations in audio magazines and forums I can say that the majority also finds so.

we can certainly find a Sound we prefer because the choices are many. And yet there’s a lot of searching going on.

Fortunately. IMHO the main point where stereo is been improved is in the proper handling of micro detail, managing to bring us more information is a very natural, not fatiguing way.

Reactions: Al M. and Armsan
" A talented copyist " ! From the horse's mouth ! ;) We Danes are often full of it, and experts at pricing high !:rolleyes:

You manufacture some of the best existing speaker units, representing great value for money - still listen almost daily to Esotar T330 tweeter's!

And you have Bang & Olufsen - now a success story, due to a good investment and development strategy in the past years.

Reactions: Lagonda
At some point most of us reach a point and give up and simply relax to enjoy the music. A few never give up and keep trying to optimize. AJ vdH is one of those. But how can we ever be sure that a system is sounding optimal, the best that it is capable of sounding? I think the best we can hope for is that we have exhausted our attempts to hear it sound better elsewhere. That usually ends the pursuit for that system. And it is enough for the time being.
Peter, IME you have it backwards - most audiophiles crave the journey to achieve better sound while reaping the rewards of their efforts via ever - better sounding music and the minority are content and stop seeking better sound. Both groups relax and enjoy the music but one continually seeks to improve. It's the nature of most audiophiles.

Reactions: bonzo75 and DaveC
The guy denounces the transistor and digital as the downfall in audio and now designs and sells CD players..

Reactions: Al M. and Lagonda
Peter, IME you have it backwards - most audiophiles crave the journey to achieve better sound while reaping the rewards of their efforts via ever - better sounding music and the minority are content and stop seeking better sound. Both groups relax and enjoy the music but one continually seeks to improve. It's the nature of most audiophiles.

Good point. Perhaps I was referring to the few I have spoken to lately and my own changing approach and not audiophiles at large. I know a few who are no longer chasing better and others who continue to search. Nothing wrong with either approach. Yes, they both enjoy music, but I'm not so sure how relaxed the searchers are. I suppose much depends on how much further one thinks he can go towards better sound, ignoring for the moment the often high cost of going there.

Will the next footer or cartridge or amplifier take them there? Surely, for a while. I agree that it is the nature of most audiophiles.

Reactions: sbo6 and Bobvin
The guy denounces the transistor and digital as the downfall in audio and now designs and sells CD players..
But he packs them with silver and tubes and only uses old dac's, so they must be good ! ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: sbo6 and Al M.
Peter,

I find so, particularly more convincing. And looking for published opinions and their explanations in audio magazines and forums I can say that the majority also finds so.

Fortunately. IMHO the main point where stereo is been improved is in the proper handling of micro detail, managing to bring us more information is a very natural, not fatiguing way.

Fransisco, just so I know to what you are referring when you describe a system as "more convincing", please give me an example of a couple current systems, digital I presume, which you find to be so, and some from the past that you think sound less convincing.

Micro details is an interesting area. I prefer resolution or information that is balanced and even and does not draw attention to itself. When I read "detail" I think "hifi". I hear it from many contemporary expensive systems. And often, fatigue comes with it in the high frequencies. The brain/body can not relax, but oh there is detail. I think of nuance and low level resolution like hall ambiance, string texture, hollow wood body, subtle placement and spatial relationships, and timbre all improving with resolution and increased information. Perhaps you call this detail.

Last edited:
But he packs them with silver and tubes and only uses old dac's, so they must be good ! ;)

The belt drive CD player and no streaming are interesting. I thought the precision of the drive with all the correction and sampling is what makes it perfect. He has a different idea. I wanted to read more about his speakers and turntable. This article stands in sharp contrast to the end of the issue interviews I used to read in TAS where they asked designers four basic questions: 1. How did you get into the hobby?, 2. What is your latest design?, 3. Tell us about analog vs. digital, and 4. What do you think of the future of high end audio? They always ended by asking about the guys other hobbies.

Here is a guy who does not think the present is better than the past. It is certainly a different opinion.

The belt drive CD player and no streaming are interesting. I thought the precision of the drive with all the correction and sampling is what makes it perfect. He has a different idea. I wanted to read more about his speakers and turntable. This article stands in sharp contrast to the end of the issue interviews I used to read in TAS where they asked designers four basic questions: 1. How did you get into the hobby?, 2. What is your latest design?, 3. Tell us about analog vs. digital, and 4. What do you think of the future of high end audio? They always ended by asking about the guys other hobbies.

Here is a guy who does not think the present is better than the past. It is certainly a different opinion.
It is definitely a lot easier to reuse other peoples old designs with a few changes, claim state of the art and jack-up the price, like Audio Note does. They are a glorified modding company ! I don't buy the claim that old dac's, Redbook and tubes is the only way to go with digital. Pleasant sounding maybe, but state of the art ? :rolleyes:

Great observation. I'm definitely in the minority. Two questions. At what point does one decide to be in the minority and why?

Reactions: sbo6
Great observation. I'm definitely in the minority. Two questions. At what point does one decide to be in the minority and why?

I have been in the minority more than once where I was basically inactive for a couple of years and then got back into it. For me I just needed a break and wanted to sit back and enjoy what I had as opposed to fiddle fiddle fiddle listen listen listen. I think it's healthy to take a break every once in a while.

Rob :)

Reactions: DaveC
What I've observed as we all get older (older than, say 50) is we become content with what we have and the journey comes to an end. I don't consider this a bad thing btw. Also, I think for some it's simply about budget.

I will say this - the journey up the ladder can be bitter sweet because there's less and less to aspire to achieve so maybe the journey ends when the pot of gold isn't as attractive as it once was..

Reactions: Down Under
The belt drive CD player and no streaming are interesting. I thought the precision of the drive with all the correction and sampling is what makes it perfect. He has a different idea. I wanted to read more about his speakers and turntable.

The thing that tickles me most WRT those that admonish streaming is that - everything in digital is streaming - data from one point to another. The only difference is the cable length and protocols. If care is taken to minimize noise and master -> slave clocking, streaming = local data transfers.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing