The Rise of the Uber-High End Integrated Amp

Puma Cat

Feb 20, 2011
SF East Bay Area
I'm not sure if it qualifies for this specific thread with respect to it being "über-high end" enough, but I've been listening to the Constellation Inspiration integrated amp exclusively for a couple months now while the external power supplies for my First Sound preamp were back at First Sound for some updates, and I absolutely love the Inspiration integrated. VERY impressed with it, so much so that I could use it as the amplification "core" for my system instead of my separates, and be very, very happy, indeed. Bottom-line: I frickin' LOVE this thing...

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
If I read the thread thoroughly I did not see mention of the darTZeel 8550 Mk2 which is classic and very, very good.

I have no experience with their smaller integrated, the LHC-208 but understand the latest version is super good as well. No phono stage like the 8550, but includes a terrific DAC and updated streamer. That particular piece is my favorite industrial design from darTzeel and the first time the gold and red darT livery has really spoken to me visually.

lhc-208-front-34-787x4503.jpg

Reactions: Puma Cat

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
I don’t really care about integrated components other than the preamp and amps. Does anyone make a decent integrated that does 1200 watts into 4 ohms. That might be worth considering.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
I don’t really care about integrated components other than the preamp and amps. Does anyone make a decent integrated that does 1200 watts into 4 ohms. That might be worth considering.
You have an arena you are dying to power for late night listening or something?

Sablon Audio

Industry Expert, VIP Donor
May 22, 2015
I'm very much enjoying my Riviera Levante (after the mandatory tube upgrade). Reason for going integrated was to tidy up shelf space and this one is also beautifully built. The 30wpc Class A setting is much stronger than expected on moderately insensitive speakers and comfortably fills a 4500 cubic ft room.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
I'm very much enjoying my Riviera Levante (after the mandatory tube upgrade). Reason for going integrated was to tidy up shelf space and this one is also beautifully built. The 30wpc Class A setting is much stronger than expected on moderately insensitive speakers and comfortably fills a 4500 cubic ft room.
That could be quite nice! Did you have a chance to listen to the Ypsilon Phaeton? Every time I have heard that integrated (also a hybrid) I find it impressively good sounding.

Sablon Audio

Industry Expert, VIP Donor
May 22, 2015
Only in passing Brad but I have heard good things about it from others. I have been in touch with Silvio from Riviera for a couple of years now so when they launched Levante, it seemed like a good time to take the plunge. Swapping the JJ valves to some nice pinched waist Philips 5965 ones gave a step change in sound quality and dynamic drive.

Republicoftexas69

Look for all these manufacturers to raise their products with rising cost, tube shortages, Nickle and other metals used in manufacturing being in short supply. Transportation will get even worse with fuel costs, vessel, truck shortages. Then there is the dreaded T word (Tarif) .

Inflation is a tax.

Republicoftexas69

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing