The Proper Use of the Apostrophe

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
The apostrophe may be the most abused punctuation mark in the English language. A quick glance at street signs, advertisements, and store marquees will demonstrate that almost no one seems to know how to use this mark properly.

The apostrophe has two, and only two, uses: to show possession and to indicate the omission of letters or numbers. To further illustrate this point, let us examine some of the rules that dictate when apostrophes should be used and where they should be placed in a word.

Common rules

Possessive common nouns are common nouns or pronouns that own other nouns. Apostrophes are used to indicate this possession in the following ways:

If the noun does not end in -s (in most cases this means it is singular), add -'s.
Here are two examples:

The bike's handlebars were bent in the crash.
The boy's sister traveled by bus to meet us.

Contractions

Contractions are shortened versions of words or phrases typically limited to casual speech or writing. Avoid the use of contractions in formal and professional writing. When writing a contraction, remember that an apostrophe marks the place where letters have been omitted. For example:

Don't forget to vote! (Don't is a contraction of do not; the o in not has been omitted.)
I'm so sick of this cold weather. (I'm is a contraction of I am; the a in am has been omitted.)

An apostrophe is also used to indicate the omission of the first two digits of a year or years.

The members of the class of '98 have all gone on to be successful.
The pre-Depression era of the '20s was a time of social change and material excess.

When NOT to use an apostrophe

The most common apostrophe error is the addition of an apostrophe where one is not needed. We have found apostrophes in some pretty strange places. The following are some of the most frequently made errors:

Do not use an apostrophe in the possessive pronouns whose, ours, yours, his, hers, its, or theirs.

Do not use an apostrophe in nouns that are plural but not possessive, such as CDs, 1000s, or 1960s.

Do not use an apostrophe in verbs. Apostrophes sometimes show up in verbs that end in -s, such as marks, sees, or finds.

Some apostrophe mistakes involve the confusion of two words that sound the same but have different meanings.

Confusion of its and it's. Its is a possessive pronoun, while it's is a contraction of it is.
The dog pulled on its leash.
I just realized it's time to go!

Confusion of your and you're. Your is a possessive pronoun, while you're is a contraction of you are.
Don't forget your umbrella.
You're the worst dancer I've ever seen.

Confusion of whose and who's. Whose is a possessive pronoun, while who's is a contraction of who is.
Whose turn is it to take out the trash?
I wonder who's going to play Hamlet.

When in doubt over whether to use an apostrophe, think about the word's (or words') meaning. Does this noun own something? Are two separate words being combined into one contraction?

https://www.scribendi.com/advice/using_apostrophes.en.html

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I feel the one apostrophe missing may be able to save more lives.
There are signs around my neighborhood that display " Slow Children At Play".
I'm sure these children are not slow, either in speed or knowledge.
I have been contemplating going around the neighborhood and placing an apostrophe after the word "Slow", then writing at the bottom of the sign, "Apostrophes Save Lives"!

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Noted... But I like CD's. I find, while incorrect, sometimes without the apostrophe it becomes confusing in chat programs/texts and quick reading. The apostrophe pre-dates common use of acronyms, and it makes some sense to use it with them since they're omitting letters/numbers.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I have been contemplating going around the neighborhood and placing an apostrophe after the word "Slow", then writing at the bottom of the sign, "Apostrophes Save Lives"!

Do you mean commas?

RayDunzl

Jun 26, 2014
Tampa
ApostrophesMeme.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: Al M.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

Where in that sign would the apostrophe go? Comma, as Folsom asks?

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Noted... But I like CD's. I find, while incorrect, sometimes without the apostrophe it becomes confusing in chat programs/texts and quick reading. The apostrophe pre-dates common use of acronyms, and it makes some sense to use it with them since they're omitting letters/numbers.

Yeeaahh . . . I think "CD's" is a major apostrophe violation. :)

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
Then there is the possessive for people whose last names end in "s".

It was James Levine's Boston Symphony.

Now it is Andris Nelsons' Boston Symphony.

Larry

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
It is what we.are most sure of that provides the best opportunity for error.
Thank you. My English teacher thanks you.

BMCG

VIP/Donor
Oct 1, 2016
United Kingdom
It is what we.are most sure of that provides the best opportunity for error.
Thank you. My English teacher thanks you.

Strunk, White and Chicago...bless your efforts :)

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Wasn't Astronomy Apostrophe a Pink' Floyd' song?

SoundAndMotion

Mar 5, 2015
I appreciate your effort, but I have a couple of comments.

Languages change with time. Standardized rules attempt to slow this process so that people can communicate without each person having their own version of the language. Some languages (e,g, French in France, German in Germany) have official documents to create/enforce the standard rules, but even these get updated. English lacks a universally accepted standard, and even attempts at standards disagree to some extent with one another. Check out comma rules to find these.

Another issue is that although simple rules are easiest to remember, there seem to always be exceptions.
When NOT to use an apostrophe
Do not use an apostrophe in nouns that are plural but not possessive, such as CDs, 1000s, or 1960s.
The exception is that single letters or digits can have an apostrophe to indicate plurals:

There are 4 i’s and 4 s’s in Mississippi.
There are two 4’s in the previous sentence.

The justification is that it provides clarity of meaning.

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/punctuation/apostrophe

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
So, are audiophiles' use of apostrophes seamless and coherent?
Do they have transparent reasons for their use?
Does one's knowledge of English grammar have to be sufficiently full range to be confident of their use?

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
Another grammatical subject that tickles me is the "dangling participle". And the sentence I remember from the 8th grade (or whenever that subject was taught) was: "My mother cooked dinner in her calico dress". (Actually, she cooked dinner in the oven while she was wearing a calico dress).

If you keep an eye out for this misuse, you can find some very comical examples.

"I found my keys looking for my sunglasses".

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
The apostrophe I can deal with, it's the comma that kills me.

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
Not the way I learned to use them on abbreviations, nor the way my bazillion of reports and papers were written (that were all proofed by some tech editor, usually several, along the way). I have always been required to add an apostrophe after various acronyms and abbreviations and am unlikely to change, sorry (old dogs).

p136 of my old Harbrace College Handbook (8th printing, 1977): "Use the apostrophe and s to form the plural of lower-case letters and abbreviations... When needed...use to form the plural of abbreviations, symbols..." It goes on to say either is acceptable for abbreviations and provides examples. This reference would say CD's or CDs is valid.

If the worst thing about me is my grammar I'll die content.

And I thought the cable debates were bad...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing