The official audio myth busting thread

I didn´t know Mike was on probation nor that he had reached an agreement to avoid the death penalty...whatever the case it is obvious certain people take Blizzard´s words as an offense akin to someone verbally assaulting them, some of them seem to like it though because they can´t avoid looking for confrontation, for those constantly blaming Mike and pointing fingers: it takes two to tango lads, you ain´t without sin but you cast the first, the second and even the third stone.

I thought spanish forums were bad, we like fighting amongst ourselves but I´ve never seen a member anywhere else try to push the administration into the banning of another like I´ve seen here with Mike, or assuring the enforcing of restrictions. To all the guys that don´t like Blizzard, please stay out of it if and let the rest of us breathe some fresh air and have fun.

One last thing, many of us could benefit from being and posting like Mike...Lavigne, so hats off to him.

Thanks for speaking up! :) Most of my supporters do so by PM, so glad you are brave enough to speak up in public. Like you said before, we have a lot of guys with hifiman nanometer diaphragm thick skin around here. And they can easily avoid blizzards corner if they don't enjoy the subject matter around here .

<snip>
BTW, I am not signing up for any videotaping of me. Everyone says I am the most handsome audiophile around and I am not taking any chances of the camera catching my bad side. No sir...

I suppose that those who said that were double-blinded? :D

Which church? Fundamentalist creationists perhaps, but not any church.

Would it matter? Would history be different if the discussion took place anywhere in the world, in any building? Same with the discussion here. The truth is the truth whether it's discussed in the lab of the top engineers in the industry, or a public forum. Personal emotions of certain individuals have no bearing on what's already the truth. Even if you were never born, it would still be the truth. People need to have a little bit more humility around here and maybe consider that their biased opinions based on emotion, have nothing to do with reality whatsoever. I'm trying to adhere to the TOS, and keep the personal element out of the equation.

Thanks for speaking up! :) Most of my supporters do so by PM, so glad you are brave enough to speak up in public.

Well, people do risk being called sycophants if they agree with anything you say... ;)

Well, people do risk being called sycophants if they agree with anything you say... ;)

Yes self confidence may be a prerequisite for taking Narayan's approach :)

Unfair .. I agree with many things Blizzard say, for the record. I will build his streamer. I will pick up the parts next week in Miami. Am also building a serious music server to run HQ player and perhaps Acourate... He had me troubled enough to begin thinking that there could be something special about DSD, something BruceB, MikeL and many others here have been repeating to me ad infinitum. Long time WBFers would tell you I am no fan of DSD but the proof could be in the listening so ... why not?
I believe we may need to stop constantly deriding everything he says. he is voluble, boosterish and not PC .. So be it! Many here take a much nicer road but continue to maintain their point of views no matter what, even when confronted with facts that disprove their theories. So if you hate his guts. Keep off his corner of the web site or prove him wrong To me this is plain and simple
Here is a man asking for a panel to check out if you can hear the differences between a SOTA vinyl rig and its digitized counterpart... This should be a walk in the park since many of the die-hard anlaogue people ( I used to be one back in the days ... :) ) would tell you that the digital is" not even close" well if it so .. you should be able to determine very quickly something or you could be proven wrong. Analog could stillbe king but that you failed at determining it .. Or at least it was close ...

I am interested and am thinking about traveling to the place of this test... We'll see.

And ...Blizz could you tone it down please? :D

. . . . Burn in myth would be my suggestion, now I believe in it but it may well be your ears and brain getting used to the sound. The reason I have trouble with this burn in issue is you never hear anyone saying they loved thier new cables sockets speakers etc but did not like the difference when they burned in! . . . ..

Another interesting phenomenon is that people say the cables should be "tuned" and selected for each given system. If that is the case, why is everyone's holy grail the most expensive model in their favored cable company's line?

You bet "burn in" is nothing more than getting used to what your system sounds like.

Another interesting phenomenon is that people say the cables should be "tuned" and selected for each given system. If that is the case, why is everyone's holy grail the most expensive model in their favored cable company's line?

You bet "burn in" is nothing more than getting used to what your system sounds like.

Could well be, but I must say I have picked some less expensive stuff over more expensive stuff many times and without concern to the price or brand reassurance.

Yes rarely will a dealer tell you the cheapest cable is the best fit for your system. Unless of course they are out of stock of everything else.

Unfair .. I agree with many things Blizzard say, for the record. I will build his streamer. I will pick up the parts next week in Miami. Am also building a serious music server to run HQ player and perhaps Acourate... He had me troubled enough to begin thinking that there could be something special about DSD, something BruceB, MikeL and many others here have been repeating to me ad infinitum. Long time WBFers would tell you I am no fan of DSD but the proof could be in the listening so ... why not?
I believe we may need to stop constantly deriding everything he says. he is voluble, boosterish and not PC .. So be it! Many here take a much nicer road but continue to maintain their point of views no matter what, even when confronted with facts that disprove their theories. So if you hate his guts. Keep off his corner of the web site or prove him wrong To me this is plain and simple
Here is a man asking for a panel to check out if you can hear the differences between a SOTA vinyl rig and its digitized counterpart... This should be a walk in the park since many of the die-hard anlaogue people ( I used to be one back in the days ... :) ) would tell you that the digital is" not even close" well if it so .. you should be able to determine very quickly something or you could be proven wrong. Analog could stillbe king but that you failed at determining it .. Or at least it was close ...

I am interested and am thinking about traveling to the place of this test... We'll see.

And ...Blizz could you tone it down please? :D

The best way for me to tone down is to tune out :) Tune out and my the noise floor of my tone will be attenuated to -140Db. Well below the threshold of audibility :)

Yes rarely will a dealer tell you the cheapest cable is the best fit for your system. Unless of course they are out of stock of everything else.
That's why you should just let the customer try out a few and let them be the judge.

Cables are like films the less you know about them before hand the better the expirance imo .

That's what did, that's what I do. Try it and most of the time I don't like it.

That's why you should just let the customer try out a few and let them be the judge.

Cables are like films the less you know about them before hand the better the expirance imo .

Exactly, don't even tell them the price. Let them choose, and break the price to them later. Never know, could be the cheapest one that's the best fit.

Exactly, don't even tell them the price. Let them choose, and break the price to them later. Never know, could be the cheapest one that's the best fit.

+ 1000

In regard to your honour and your defence, I have tried to stick up for you but all that happens is it causes more abuse. So it's self defeating Mike.

Plus the language I use and my own special way of doing things has got me sanctions hovering over my head. I did post a rather good joke leaned towards your defence but I had to remove it else I would no longer be here, it's was not even rude really. Certainly not offensive imo.

I don't have Daves power to be able to tell some one stfu and still be here. ;)

The last time I changed my analog cables (interconnects, speaker cables) was 23 years ago. Advantage: no pain of choosing all these years.

Granted, I have heard somewhat better cables in my system (MIT/Spectral) but the difference was not important enough to spend all this money. Upgrading my amps with external power supplies made a MUCH bigger difference for less money, and upgrading my room with acoustic treatment an even bigger one.

The famous sound engineer Alan Parsons had this to say (among others, he was involved with The Beatles' Abbey Road and Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon):

I do think in the domestic environment, the people that have sufficient equipment don’t pay enough attention to room acoustics. The pro audio guy will prioritize room acoustics and do the necessary treatments to make the room sound right. The hi-fi world attaches less importance to room acoustics, and prioritizes equipment; they are looking more at brand names and reputation.

+ 1000

In regard to your honour and your defence, I have tried to stick up for you but all that happens is it causes more abuse. So it's self defeating Mike.

Plus the language I use and my own special way of doing things has got me sanctions hovering over my head. I did post a rather good joke leaned towards your defence but I had to remove it else I would no longer be here, it's was not even rude really. Certainly not offensive imo.

I don't have Daves power to be able to tell some one stfu and still be here. ;)

The back ground noise will always be there. Just like mosquitoes in the jungle. You just need to get used to them buzzing in your ear. What I'm more interested in is all the folks who appreciate the information I share, because there's far more of them than mosquitoes. They just don't buzz as loud :)

The last time I changed my analog cables (interconnects, speaker cables) was 23 years ago. Advantage: no pain of choosing all these years.

Granted, I have heard somewhat better cables in my system (MIT/Spectral) but the difference was not important enough to spend all this money. Upgrading my amps with external power supplies made a MUCH bigger difference, and upgrading my room with acoustic treatment an even bigger one.

The famous sound engineer Alan Parsons had this to say (among others, he was involved with The Beatles' Abbey Road and Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon):

I do think in the domestic environment, the people that have sufficient equipment don’t pay enough attention to room acoustics. The pro audio guy will prioritize room acoustics and do the necessary treatments to make the room sound right. The hi-fi world attaches less importance to room acoustics, and prioritizes equipment; they are looking more at brand names and reputation.

I agree! Though room acoustics for enjoying music at home and studios acoustics for processing music are very different things imo. It's hard to know what to believe for home acoustics as every one tell you different things.

The biggest change I make to my system is moving the speakers, just by a inch or less. It's free :)

Also if you change components a reassessment of speaker position is advisable imo.

Just a caveat, you could spend thousands on room treatment but there would be no guarantee you will like the result! Wise words from a very famous speaker designer who was round my gaff a while ago.

Still I do agree with you.

I've got my favorite speaker cables, obviously it's not for everyone or every speaker, so I won't try to convince anyone about its advantages.

The cable sheath says 1992 so I know they are nicely aged now.

2awg.png

Yes, those are 1/2" nuts.

I've got my favorite speaker cables, obviously it's not for everyone or every speaker, so I won't try to convince anyone about its advantages.

The cable sheath says 1992 so I know they are nicely aged now.

2awg.png

Yes, those are 1/2" nuts.
I can see it's the link cables that set you back a few dollars :D

I can see it's the link cables that set you back a few dollars :D

Actually, you're right.

I did buy a roll of 18AWG magnet wire, but the 2AWG and the lugs were leftovers and scrap from my days in Telecom.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing