The official audio myth busting thread

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Hi blizzard,
Can you list which good preamps that you have listened to in your system and also describe the characteristic differences you heard when running direct instead of thru the pre.

I haven't used a preamp for years. Simply because I use DAC's that don't require them. The last preamp I used was a passive pre I built based on the Bent audio ladder resistor network.

hybrid-bal.jpg

It's a decent passive pre, but once I got a DAC with the Sabre chip and 32 bit digital volume control, it's been gathering dust ever since. Actually I have all the parts here if anyone wants a good deal. I have the nice solid aluminum remote and everything. XLR output PCB and all. Fully balanced version.

I listen to all kinds of preamps all the time at dealer showrooms, and friends places. But the only time they are of any benefit sonically is when the DAC has no volume control, or the DAC has a pathetic output stage. DAC's with pathetic output stages are of no interest to me.

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
When PeterA asked you to name some TTs, arms, and carts you have heard, your reply was I haven't used TTs in years.

You probably haven't heard a good streamer or dac either. Thank God for Computer Audiophile and that we can paste some ideas over here as our own

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
When PeterA asked you to name some TTs, arms, and carts you have heard, your reply was I haven't used TTs in years.

You probably haven't heard a good streamer or dac either. Thank God for Computer Audiophile and that we can paste some ideas over here as our own

Coming over here just to troll? I haven't driven a Ford model T either. But a bet a new BMW M3 would make it around the Nurburgring quicker. But I suppose it would take me trying to find out hey?

You know it wouldn't do you any harm to learn a few things. Maybe read my streamer thread and some of the feedback from people who built it.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Rodney Gold

Jan 29, 2014
Cape Town South Africa
lps might not be popular with the hoi paloi.. but sure are among audiophiles.and your vapourware products are aimed at audiophiles..not the general cd/digital buying population.
so compare the rise of TT's/LP's in the AUDIOPHILE population.. most audiophiles I know have one .. and they also use *shock* valves...

Insted of speculating and pontificatio...Put your money where your mouth is..lets see a commercial product from you. If it turns out to be the next best thing since sliced bread ..I will buy one

As to your listening acuity .. the mere fact that you said you eq to flat as possible at listening position is a severe indictment of that.. you obviously prefer a thin and reedy sound , bass light .. unlike 99% of most people..so your listening impressions are actually worthless to *me*

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Rodney Gold

Jan 29, 2014
Cape Town South Africa
Sometimes you just get blinded by the flakes..

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
lps might not be popular with the hoi paloi.. but sure are among audiophiles.and your vapourware products are aimed at audiophiles..not the general cd/digital buying population.
so compare the rise of TT's/LP's in the AUDIOPHILE population.. most audiophiles I know have one .. and they also use *shock* valves...

Insted of speculating and pontificatio...Put your money where your mouth is..lets see a commercial product from you. If it turns out to be the next best thing since sliced bread ..I will buy one

As to your listening acuity .. the mere fact that you said you eq to flat as possible at listening position is a severe indictment of that.. you obviously prefer a thin and reedy sound , bass light .. unlike 99% of most people..so your listening impressions are actually worthless to *me*

I never said I like to EQ flat at the listening position. You have warped this around for so long that you don't even remember what was said. I was talking about passive speakers for 1, no EQ, and the reason they were flat at the listening position was due to the superior off axis frequency response, and the baffle step compensation that made up for the energy lost to the rear of the room from about 350hz downwards. A very common procedure that is well known among any speaker designer that knows anything about building speakers.

Clearly your not among that crowd or else you would be using your CNC machines and building your own, rather than dropping $68000 for Vivid Giya's. You could build something better for well under $10000 your cost if you knew what you were doing and built them yourself.

Last edited:

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Sort of reminds of that movie. Why go on vacation,we can sell you a memory of a vacation. It is better and cheaper. Wonder how get a tan or an STD.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
I appreciate the effort, and seen it before. It won't work.

The 1st thing to think about is how there's no chance you'll get a vast majority of people to alter their beliefs based on information posted on an internet forum, and how attempting to do so only causes animosity... hence the lack of eager participation in this thread.

Sorry, not trying to be a downer, but as I've said... seen it before. Doesn't work.

From page 1...

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
From page 1...

You're missing the point. This isn't to alter beliefs, it's to educate the open minded. We all know some are beyond hope.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Decompensated or decomposed?

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
STOP! Just stop. All of you. If you do not have any technical merit to add to the conversation? Your post will be deleted and reviewed by the management team.

If you make a snide remark toward another member? Your post will be deleted and reviewed by the management team.

If you keep up with the same on other threads? Sanctions will be issued and these sanctions will not be up to debate. Am I clear? Please allow me to state this again.....am I clear? If I am not clear, the the management team will be. Enough is enough.

We are better than this.

Tom

Geardaddy

Oct 1, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Myth busting should generate a good educational dialogue.....and sacred cows do make the best hamburgers as one of my professors used to say....:cool:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing