The new audiophile vinyl series The Original Source from Deutsche Grammophon (AAA)

Stokowski Dvorak new world. Very inexpensive vinyl

Thank you Kedar for another great video recording! Just out of curiosity... it appears that you are listening to the Avalon speakers in a very near field set up. What would you guesstimate is the distance from the speaker drivers to your ears in that listening position?

Thanks much and best wishes,
Don

Reactions: bonzo75
While my first batch of Original Source albums is still on a SHIP from Germany to Canada, I now asked DG to confirm that my next two orders will not be shipped by sea. (Every previous order was shipped by air - except for this last one, someone made a mistake and shipped it by sea...).

Now the new excuse for why DG cannot help is as follows:
Unfortunately, I am not able to get involved with your orders at Bravado due to data protection reasons. DG is considered a third party, so I am not allowed to discuss any purchase directly with the team. I am kindly asking you to get in touch with the Bravado Customer Service.

Can you believe it?! "Third party?!" I ordered from DG.com!
Deutsche Grammophon must win the award for the WORST online customer service in 2023. It's simply unbelievable.

I am trying to find all the new albums through other channels, and will promptly cancel the orders from DG.com. Unfortunately, I have yet to find all the albums elsewhere...

Thank you Kedar for another great video recording! Just out of curiosity... it appears that you are listening to the Avalon speakers in a very near field set up. What would you guesstimate is the distance from the speaker drivers to your ears in that listening position?

Thanks much and best wishes,
Don

hi I don’t remember the length, will check next time. It was meant to be there for the first wave hit, just tuned by ear.

Reactions: No Regrets
While my first batch of Original Source albums is still on a SHIP from Germany to Canada, I now asked DG to confirm that my next two orders will not be shipped by sea. (Every previous order was shipped by air - except for this last one, someone made a mistake and shipped it by sea...).

Now the new excuse for why DG cannot help is as follows:

Can you believe it?! "Third party?!" I ordered from DG.com!
Deutsche Grammophon must win the award for the WORST online customer service in 2023. It's simply unbelievable.

I am trying to find all the new albums through other channels, and will promptly cancel the orders from DG.com. Unfortunately, I have yet to find all the albums elsewhere...
Bravado, which manages fulfillment for Deutsch Grammaphon, continues to claim that “we have no control over how DHL sends packages” — rather than admitting fault that they shipped my order by sea instead of by air, they continue claim that they have “no control over shipment method”. Can you believe this?!
I honestly cannot believe this is a conversation I’m having in 2023 with a company owned by Universal Music…

DG answered the investigation will take 6-8 weeks and until then they cannot do anything.
Great customer service!!!

Anyway, decided to order the 1st batch directly from Amazon, it'll be here in a few days and I paid less.
Received both Amazon and DG packages on the same day! (Amazon was ordered a week ago)
Anyway, I have 2 copies now.

Listened to a few, they do sound very good compared to the thin-dry sound of the 70/80 DG originals.
Also, the pressing is very quiet.
I'll probably order the next batch as well (from Amazon).

Reactions: bonzo75
I'll probably order the next batch as well (from Amazon).

Great to hear! The problem is that Amazon does not have all of the albums. I have been unable to find the complete collection of the Original Source albums anywhere except at DG.com.
It would be easy if we could just never order from DG.com directly again... unfortunately, if you want all the albums, it seems like we have to.

Just received a tracking number from DG.
Last update was on 3rd or June, that the package is being loaded into a container... :eek:

There is no delay here other than Bravado/DG’s incompetence. They likely shipped yours via sea, so it will take 6-8 weeks. Does your tracking # start with letters instead of numbers? That’s a giveaway that they use the DHL level of service that uses your country’s local post office for delivery within your country, so that will add more time.
I did just get my first order, 8 weeks after they shipped it.

There is no delay here other than Bravado/DG’s incompetence. They likely shipped yours via sea, so it will take 6-8 weeks. Does your tracking # start with letters instead of numbers? That’s a giveaway that they use the DHL level of service that uses your country’s local post office for delivery within your country, so that will add more time.
I did just get my first order, 8 weeks after they shipped it.
See my post above. Received both from DG and Amazon on the same day.

Great to hear! The problem is that Amazon does not have all of the albums. I have been unable to find the complete collection of the Original Source albums anywhere except at DG.com.
It would be easy if we could just never order from DG.com directly again... unfortunately, if you want all the albums, it seems like we have to.
If they had the 1st batch, I assume Amazon will have all the batches.
Gilels Brahms and Verdi’s Requiem already available for preorder.

If they had the 1st batch, I assume Amazon will have all the batches.
Gilels Brahms and Verdi’s Requiem already available for preorder.
They don’t, unfortunately. You would see it as a pre-order on Amazon if they have it.

There are 11 Original Source albums (as of today):

I have not found all 11 anywhere else, other than DG.com. If someone else has found them elsewhere, let us know.

Last edited:
They don’t, unfortunately.

There are 11 Original Source albums (as of today):

I have not found all 11 anywhere else, other than DG.com. If someone else has found them elsewhere, let us know.
They have the next batch, planned to be released on August 4th.
IMG_5911.png

IMG_5912.png

I assume the next will be available for preorder soon.

No, they don’t have the complete set. That’s a mix of batch 1 and 2. Again, there are 11 albums in total (batches 1+2).
Take a look at the link I just posted.

No, they don’t have the complete set. That’s a mix of batch 1 and 2. Again, there are 11 albums in total (batches 1+2).
Take a look at the link I just posted.
The 2nd batch (planned to be released on August 4th) has 3 titles (and available for preorder on Amazon);
Gilels Brahms
Verdi Requiem
Abbado Debussy/Ravel

Then there’s the 3rd batch, planned to be released on September 29th.

So, eventually and in time, Amazon will have all of them.

Ugh, I don’t know why you are arguing. Amazon (as of today) does not have all of the titles. You can pre-order what Amazon has available now, including the 9/29 release albums. You cannot order all 11 albums!

I didn’t say they have.
I said they will.
I ordered the 1st batch after it was released from Amazon.
I don’t plan to order directly from DG, as I paid more (taxes too) and shipping and tracking info was horrible.

Reactions: Ed.P
I didn’t say they have.
I said they will.
I ordered the 1st batch after it was released from Amazon.
I don’t plan to order directly from DG, as I paid more (taxes too) and shipping and tracking info was horrible.
I agree that ordering from DG directly is horrible. But it’s wishful thinking that Amazon will have all 11 albums. It’s just a wish, there’s no basis for it. They have some; but not all. Has nothing to do with pre-orders - they have some pre-order albums. Not all.

Last edited:
Playing the DGG original source at Bill’s today while testing a new DET 25 10 watt amp from Vietnam that was sent across to me for a compare by Glide3 from the US west coast. Hurrah for community compare audiophile spirit. Will put up a Scheherazade video on the SETs forum as well.

Inspirational, it’s sounding great over at Bills… such a fantastic setup. Many thanks for the update Ked.

Inspirational, it’s sounding great over at Bills… such a fantastic setup. Many thanks for the update Ked.

The set up has a long way to go, but the video shows the musicality the system is still bringing out, the dynamic range, and the nuances of the music as each musical line resolves and floats out easily.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing