The new audiophile vinyl series The Original Source from Deutsche Grammophon (AAA)

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017
DG Original Source

I am happy see new AAA series from one of the cornerstones of classical recording labels.There are four titles as of now, all mastered by Emil Berliner from original 4 track tapes. They say all of them will be on 180g vinyl and in deluxe gatefold with original covers. The records are limited and numbered and cost 35euros. No extortion prices and I am happy to pay that sum for clean AAA copies of good performances.

The first four titles are as follows;

Carlos Kleiber & Die Wiener Philharmoniker Beethoven: Sinfonie Nr. 7

Claudio Abbado & London Symphony Orchestra Stravinsky: Sacre Du Printemps

Emil Gilels, Amadeus Quartet & Rainer Zepperitz Schubert: Klavierquintett A-Dur “Forellenquintett” D. 667

Herbert von Karajan & Die Berliner Philharmoniker Mahler: Sinfonie Nr. 5

The email newsletter I got states that the series will continue for 14 albums which will be released over the course of 2023 but there maybe a typo there. Let's hope not!

Last edited:

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
DG Original Source

I am happy see new AAA series from one of the cornerstones of classical recording labels.There are four titles as of now, all mastered by Emil Berliner from original 4 track tapes. They say all of them will be on 180g vinyl and in deluxe gatefold with original covers. The records are limited and numbered and cost 35euros. No extortion prices and I am happy to pay that sum for clean AAA copies of good performances.

The first four titles are as follows;

Carlos Kleiber & Die Wiener Philharmoniker Beethoven: Sinfonie Nr. 7

Claudio Abbado & London Symphony Orchestra Stravinsky: Sacre Du Printemps

Emil Gilels, Amadeus Quartet & Rainer Zepperitz Schubert: Klavierquintett A-Dur “Forellenquintett” D. 667

Herbert von Karajan & Die Berliner Philharmoniker Mahler: Sinfonie Nr. 5

The email newsletter I got states that the series will continue for 14 albums which will be released over the course of 2023 but there maybe a typo there. Let's hope not!
Just registered on the Deutsche Grammophon website and pre-ordered all four of these new LPs :) .

Thank you for your posting 'kodomo' . Much appreciated.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Ah, just in time for my "Well, I *have* been meaning to buy more classical LPs" resolution.

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
Anybody bought these three Deutsche Grammophon 'Master Cut Records' versions;

They are very expensive !

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
Anybody bought these three Deutsche Grammophon 'Master Cut Records' versions;

They are very expensive !

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
Ah, just in time for my "Well, I *have* been meaning to buy more classical LPs" resolution.
Same here 'spiritofmusic' :) .

One of my resolutions last year was to buy the best vinyl LP of Carl Orff Carmina Burana I could afford and get my hands on.

I already had one of the earlier Deutsche Grammophon version which I bought second hand close to 20 years ago.
However even after cleaning it on my Keith Monks Classic RCM three times (which was a soiled / pre-wash and a main wash) it still had ticks and pops from very faint surface scratches etc.

So last year I ended up buying 12 versions (mix of one new and 11 second hand) of Carl Orff Carmina Burana lol o_O:) to try and see how different they all sounded and which one was the best one.

I am going to post today a dedicated thread of this particular LP asking other WBF Members their views of the best version currently possible to obtain today and whether out of the 12 versions I have that it is one of those !

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Same here 'spiritofmusic' :) .

One of my resolutions last year was to buy the best vinyl LP of Carl Orff Carmina Burana I could afford and get my hands on.

I already had one of the earlier Deutsche Grammophon version which I bought second hand close to 20 years ago.
However even after cleaning it on my Keith Monks Classic RCM three times (which was a soiled / pre-wash and a main wash) it still had ticks and pops from very faint surface scratches etc.

So last year I ended up buying 12 versions (mix of one new and 11 second hand) of Carl Orff Carmina Burana lol o_O:) to try and see how different they all sounded and which one was the best one.

I am going to post today a dedicated thread of this particular LP asking other WBF Members their views of the best version currently possible to obtain today and whether out of the 12 versions I have that it is one of those !
Haha, hardcore. Of course, you *could* have just bought a streamer to compare all twelve. And any twelve of any other classical title you're curious about. Probably breaks even monetarily by the sixth title.

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
Good luck dealing with Deutsche Grammophon's online eCommerce team! Absolutely horrible. No one answers your email.
They charge VAT tax even for shipments leaving the EU, which they are not allowed to. Asked the question over a month ago as to why this is happening. No answer.
They will not answer you!
DG customer service does answer, but they have outsourced eCommerce to a 3rd party, so DG has no control or information about fulfillment.
I would wait and order from another retailer.

Reactions: ACHiPo and jeff1225

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
thank you, Kodomo. all analog classical vinyl from DG is essential for me. don't mind the price, want DG to see the value to continue this.

ordered the 4 i could, the Kleiber Beethoven 7th was sold out.

now, maybe we can find a way for DG to offer 1/4" 15ips master dubs.:)

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
thank you, Kodomo. all analog classical vinyl from DG is essential for me. don't mind the price, want DG to see the value to continue this.

ordered the 4 i could, the Kleiber Beethoven 7th was sold out.

now, maybe we can find a way for DG to offer 1/4" 15ips master dubs.:)
Kleiber is not sold out. Only the "white label" 130 gram version is sold out.

Reactions: DetroitVinylRob

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
thanks. i was about to leave for work and was in a hurry to order them all and did not pay close attention. happy to hear it and thanks for setting me straight. :)
Anytime! You've been a great help to me, so happy to have returned the favor (a tiny bit!).

BTW, if you haven't picked up the Supersense Mastercut albums yet, you must! They are not for everyone, but on your system they will sound like no regular vinyl album.

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
Haha, hardcore. Of course, you *could* have just bought a streamer to compare all twelve. And any twelve of any other classical title you're curious about. Probably breaks even monetarily by the sixth title.
Lol :) .... stupid maybe but not hardcore 'spiritofmusic' !

Don't and won't buy a streamer (at least jot in the near future) as now can't even hear digital music with my Chord Blu CD Transporter & Chord DAVE digital set-up after listening to good to excellent quality analogue since July onwards last year.

I now find all digital music sounds very flat throughout the music's frequency ranges and not so life like at all compared to analogue now.

I can only hear digital for max 1 hour straight (and that is pushing it and only when hearing my favourite music) after that I find it boring and sterile and get terrible ear fatigue.

Whereas with my analogue set-up I can listen to music for 5 to 6 hours straight (with coffee and meal breaks in between of course). It never used to be this way, in fact it was the other way around when I had my Rega P10 TT & Rega Aura Phono stage.

p.s. Posted a dedicated thread on my Carl Orff - Carmina Burana journey in trying to find the best or one of the best LP copies out there !

Reactions: SoundMann

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
That's because you haven't heard digital through a Taiko Extreme streamer. Not a joke or exaggeration, it's very very good!
You have to spend more on a vinyl system to beat it.
Digital is digital i.e. just "0s" and "1s" no matter how much you spend on electronics to serve it !

Yes, digital can sound very very good, but against a comparable analogue system...no chance !

It is just not physically possible for digital to exactly replicate analogue no matter what you do with a digital signal and that is just a fact of life !

I have heard some very expensive digital set-ups (granted some much better than others) but they didn't move me emotionally like a good to great analogue set-up does.

Just my experiences and 2 penny's worth. I would love one day to hear a full digital system sound better than an analogue system but that day is not yet (especially with streaming music).

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
I agree but you have to spend a lot more on a vinyl system to sound better, at least at the ultra high end. A Taiko Extreme, which is really in a class of One, seriously, plus a world class DAC, is about $100K.
A TT and phono stage will be hard pressed to sound as good, in all respects, for the same price.

Avidlistener

Feb 18, 2013
I had an experience recently where I found a Jimmy Smith album that was hidden for quite some time. When I played it I was shocked how good it sounded, like I had never heard it before. So much inner detail. I attributed it to having my strain gauge updated and new styli built. Then I realized I had been listening only to the sacd rip of it for over a year. Granted my digital wasn’t one of the top latest units (Directstream MKI fed via EtherRegen and cat 8 cable direct from Mac Pro ethernet). I have the MKII on order with some custom transformers, so I’ll do the comparison again.

As far as comparing analog to streaming, In two of my systems and a friends, we all hear that WAV files sound better than flac, which is the streaming format. When I used to use bubbleUPNP I had it decode flac streams to WAV on the fly, which helped.

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
I bought this 3 Lp set a couple of years ago. It's numbered, cut from original master tapes at Emil Berliner studios, pressed at Pallas and includes a copy of recording data. I think the concept is more or less the same with these new titles. Regarding how good this one sounds I can easily guess these new titles will sound even better.

IMG_0081.jpg IMG_0084.jpg IMG_0082.jpg IMG_0083.jpg

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I agree but you have to spend a lot more on a vinyl system to sound better, at least at the ultra high end.$100K.
A TT and phono stage will be hard pressed to sound as good, in all respects, for the same price.

I am confident that a $100,000 turntable/tonearm/cartridge/phono stage will beat any digital according to at least seven out of ten randomly selected audiophiles.

Last edited:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I am confident that a $100,000 turntable/tonearm/cartridge/phono stage will beat any digital according to at least seven out of ten randomly selected audiophiles.

Perhaps it is true if you select recordings according to your own strict preference.

But IMO if you choose the audiophiles randomly you risk they they will want to listen to MoFi UDS1 recordings in this challenge. o_O

Reactions: bonzo75

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing