The Music World Has Lost An Icon-Prince Is Dead

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
The report I read said he was found inside an elevator, in his house/studio compound, 9am today... Flu is unlikely... Could've been a fatal stroke.

TBone

Nov 15, 2012
RIP Prince, a big part of Toronto's musical culture/scene also gasped today; he was truly loved here with a major passion.

His shows were legendary dance/funk, some rock, shredding less & less guitars along the journey.

Under all that funk, was an awesome rock&roll guitarist.
2015520-prince3.jpg

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
That Clapton quote has gone viral, so the authenticity is to be questioned...sorry. Steve Vai used to give him high praise, which says a lot.

I didn't realize how great a guitarist he was until I saw him in concert 10 years ago. Here's a famous clip that is going around where he shreds the Rock 'n Roll hall of fame stage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SFNW5F8K9Y

Thanks for posting that link. On the guitar player forums everyone is totally shocked! Prince Rogers Nelson was a major talent on the guitar and like others have posted....somewhat under appreciated.
A terrible loss for the whole music community....

and humanity in general.:(:(

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
He always surrounded himself with the best musicians on stage as well as helped make names for many others.

But most of all to me he was a guitar playin fool! So underappreciated in that respect.

Like we should be, he was in it for the music and the universal love it brings.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
HI

Prince is on of those artists whose talent and body work become better known and appreciated with their passing. The man played several instruments much above mere competence. Could compose long pieces and arrange them in a matter of minutes or sometime completely without any preparation, on a idea given by an associate in any setting. {ushed the career of several major artists, built studios, made movies, compose music for films. He was an iconoclast but with a Talent, musicianship and output to match.
WHen you compare his outputs and musical talents to today's artist some of them much more able at wielding Marketing than any musical notes, you only begin what we have lost.

One of the greatest musical talents of the 20th Century? You bet! Could well figure among the 10 greatest Musical talents of the last Century.

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
Niagra turned purple , the color of royalty to commorate the Queen's birthday . Well by some coincidence , the purple one left us too !

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
I heard on the news (radio) this morning that drugs were involved. Some kind of opiate.

Tom

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
I heard on the news (radio) this morning that drugs were involved. Some kind of opiate.

Tom

Thought he was clean , terrible loss all the same . Performed at the Apollo recently , back to back sold out shows . So was still giving to music .

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
NEWSFLASH: In today's joint news conference between President Obama and British PM Cameron, the President was asked by a reporter to comment on the passing of Prince. He said that PM Cameron has a "turntable" in his private residence and that the two of them listened to Prince's "Purple Rain" LP to "warm up" before their morning meeting. How cool is that? Two of the most powerful people on the planet listening to vinyl together.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA

Tom

And a medical emergency about a week ago on his private plane forced an unscheduled landing so that he could be rushed to a local hospital for treatment. The SNL skit may be seen as topical in retrospect. Very sad if true, and surprising.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
NEWSFLASH: In today's joint news conference between President Obama and British PM Cameron, the President was asked by a reporter to comment on the passing of Prince. He said that PM Cameron has a "turntable" in his private residence and that the two of them listened to Prince's "Purple Rain" LP to "warm up" before their morning meeting. How cool is that? Two of the most powerful people on the planet listening to vinyl together.

A slight twist in the tale , but still kool....... President Barack Obama listened to Prince to get pumped up before his big meeting with British Prime Minister David Cameron on Friday.
"I'm staying at Winfield House, the US ambassador's residence," he said during a Friday press conference alongside the prime minister in London.

"It so happens our ambassador has a turntable, and so this morning we played 'Purple Rain' and 'Delirious' just to get warmed up before we left the house for important bilateral meeting like this," he added

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
A slight twist in the tale , but still kool....... President Barack Obama listened to Prince to get pumped up before his big meeting with British Prime Minister David Cameron on Friday.
"I'm staying at Winfield House, the US ambassador's residence," he said during a Friday press conference alongside the prime minister in London.

"It so happens our ambassador has a turntable, and so this morning we played 'Purple Rain' and 'Delirious' just to get warmed up before we left the house for important bilateral meeting like this," he added

Thanks for the correction. I'm sorry I got the details wrong. I did hear him say this live today during lunch while watching the news. I guess the only detail important enough for me to recall was the turntable. LOL.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Been a big Prince fan since a teenager. All of these albums are like time capsules of what you were doing at some point and the memories come flooding back. the song, Baby I'm a Star used to be one of our going out songs back in the day - it was so uplifting and always put us in a good mood before we went out on the town.

You really don't fully appreciate people until they are gone. Very Sad and RIP Prince.

I am celebrating Prince's life by playing all his albums in chronological order over the next few days

26298969520_aaa35f301f_h.jpg

26585723905_eeb6d44800_b.jpg

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
This is awesome ? your Prince's album collection speaks for itself...it is inspiring...memories are coming back...and I too will honor this extraordinary man by spinning some (CDs).

And you well said it ... time capsules.

RIP - and I saw the sunset last night, with hues of purple.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing