The Master - Official Trailer (2012) [HD]

I hated this movie. Here is what I posted on my facebook account....

I just saw the WORST movie in perhaps three decades tonight. It's getting great hype of course so I am going to perform a public service here and warn you to stay away from The Master by Paul Thomas Anderson. This movie starts out promising with brilliant flashes of acting between Philip Seymour Hoffman and Joaquin Phoenix. It's loosely about Scientology but we all know that story and the nutjobs involved in that train wreck.

The problem here is there no damn story line. And it drags. It drags so much that it becomes boring. It makes a Terrence Malik film look like Tony Scott directing an MTV video (may he rest in peace). It lasts 2.5 hours but feels like four hours. And oh god is it pretentious. In fact it's so boring and pretentious that I expect it to win many big awards at the Oscars. In fact, that's it most redeeming feature is the business model as we consultant's say. Here you have an subtle by skewering anti-Scientology movie (no worries there right?) that will be championed by the millions of anti-Scientology actors and directors in Hollywood. Those in Scientology will hate since it implies all sorts of nasties about their particular brand of cult. Their hate will raise the profile of this undeserving piece of ramble on. This is precisely the type of tedious, pretentious movie making (it doesn't deserve to be called a "film") that will win major awards that will endanger millions of unsuspecting citizens to spend their hard-earned cash.

I will be totally honest. I'm absolutely pissed. I want my $11 back. And I've lost faith in Rotten Tomatoes to properly score a film. And I've lost some faith in mankind for creating such an absolute waste of entertainment resources.

Stay away friends. There are much better movies to spend money on. You have been warned. This is my last Paul Anderson movie, maybe my last Weinstein movie. So sad, I remember when those fat Weinstein brothers made films.

We saw The Master yesterday.

IT WAS HORRIBLE, DEADLY BORING and I could use a few other vernacular descriptive terms, but I will control myself.

Save your money and spend your time seeing something else.

I completely agree with Lee's post.

The trailer is tremendously misleading.

It shows you the few interesting and exciting SECONDS in the movie.

I enjoyed the film very much. The story started with an in depth character development of Joaquin Phoenix's character. Then the film evolved into him meeting the charismatic cult leader portrayed by Phillip Seymour Hoffman.
The writer/director and the photographer in my opinion did an excellent job showing many examples of the Master exerting his mind control over both the group as a whole as well as within individual "processes" which was the term used for the application of his methodical imposed control over his members and always including the evolving relationship between the Master and Joaquin Phoenix's character.

The significant story line became obvious that the Master was building up a personal relationship with Joaquin Phoenix, a bipolar hyper-sexed member who The Master ...(wont tell any more) Don't anyone reveal why as it will be a spoiler.
I found it to be quite intense, and I highly enjoyed it.

My girl friend and I saw it together and we both agreed that Joaquin Phoenix's performance has Oscar written all over it. We felt that Phillip Seymour Hoffman delivered what we regarded as his always dependable stellar acting.

There was one scene that had some group full nudity that I felt should have been edited out - not because it displayed explicit nudity - but rather because the scene appeared to be incongruously out of place, and placed in there only to add some additional sensationalism which the film didn't need at that point in the setting.
That to me was but a small flaw in an otherwise very well done and superbly acted film.

There are a significant amount of reviewers within this collection of 96 reviews of the film that rated The Master (2012) high/very high/ and 5 out of 5 ratings.
http://www.mrqe.com/movie_reviews/the-master-m100101685

Last edited:
There are a significant amount of reviewers within this collection of 96 reviews of the film that rated the film high/very high/ and 5 out of 5 ratings.

That in itself is enough to keep me away. With that kind of movie, my experience has told me that the higher the reviews, the less likely I am to enjoy the film.

I was clueless from the posted trailer and would never have seen it anyway.

--Well, one thing that I learned very early on in life is that Cinema (moving pictures) is an art form.
And it can be extremely satisfying and revelling, or it can also be very bad and destructive.

And each individual person (autonomy) on this planet, or group of people (slaves of their own demises, as it can be positive and also negative), has their own view/opinion from which they cultivate and harvest what their heart and mind and eyes can apprehend from it.

Never judge the judge before you become your own judge. :b ...The master judge? ;)

Last edited:
I guess this is what makes the world go round:) Rotten Tomatoes gives "The Master" 86% and the IMdb gives it 8.2, both pretty high marks.

---See; some people saw in it what others didn't.

I guess I will watch it myself and be my own master judge. :b

But it's very alright that people share their views in full honesty;
and particularly when they vary so much, as it makes for a more challenging and lively world. :b

* Just as an aside; look at the different reactions around the world from that youtube video (film depicting an invisible God)! :eek:

My wife saw it last night with a friend. I asked her how she like it and she replied "It's not the type of movie you LIKE. Joaquin Phoenix is going to win an Academy Award." She is willing to see it again with me...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing