The first Totaldac D1-Twelve Mk2 DAC in Hong Kong

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
Although I'm not a reliable reference due to moving to a new location in between listening to the MK1 and the MK2 reclocker, it does strike me as sounding more natural, smoother with better flow and immersion, and generally "bigger and bolder". Funny enough it seems to me it infuses a bit of "D1-driver magic".

cat6man

Feb 6, 2013
west of NYC, east of SF
I’ve had the two new MkIi reclockers installed in the system in series for about 2 hours now.

The only difference in the system from before and now is that the MkII reclockers have replaced the MkI reclockers.

The Taiko extreme is still connected to the reclockers as before: Extreme/Taiko usb card->Berkeley Apha converter->AES cable->Reclocker1–>AES cable->Reclocker 2.

All I can say is wow...the MkIIs even though not close to being broken-in, have produced a significant jump in the emotional and visceral listening experience in my room over the MkIs

The most noticeable change is not so much that the images are more solid and more fully fleshed with great tonality and texture, but that voices and the instruments now project their sound pressure profile dynamically out into the room in a natural way that sounds and feels much more realistically live than before; and not by a small margin. You can’t help but be engaged in the music in an effortless way

The MkIIs are a transformative product especially when coupled with the Taiko Extreme (TAS server, usb card and OS), the totaldac d1-12 MkII DAC, the totaldac d1-drivers and mono amp-1s.

Congratulations Vincent. Bravo!!

thanks for the report cmarin!
my update is in shipping hell...........it spent a week in NJ and the next 5 days (so far) in paris..............it should get to Vincent this week.

one question: have you tried going usb into the first reclocker, since you still get to aes/ebu eventually? or is the berkeley alpha converter helping?

totaldac

Industry Expert
Aug 17, 2012
France
www.totaldac.com
my update is in shipping hell...........it spent a week in NJ and the next 5 days (so far) in paris..............it should get to Vincent this week.

one question: have you tried going usb into the first reclocker, since you still get to aes/ebu eventually? or is the berkeley alpha converter helping?
USPS is not fast currently, other customers used DHL, Fedex or UPS and this was fast, 2 to 3 days most times, so they already received back their reclocker.

cmarin

VIP/Donor
Jul 16, 2011
Texas

Hi cat6man,

I connected the Extreme USB out (with Taiko OS, Taiko USB driver, Taiko USB card) straight into the first MkII reclocker on Thursday, the day after receiving the MkII reclockers.

Going through straight to the receclocker bypassed the Berkeley alpha (usb to AES) converter and a slightly lesser quality AES digital cable (nordost Valhalla2 versus the Odin2s that is used in the rest of the totaldac).

Even with the totaldac mono d1-amps cold and with a low volume setting, I could immediately hear a perceptible increase in clarity and a further extension of the visceral acoustic pressure into the room, with yet a more natural/relaxed presentation.

Over the last few days, the uptick in performance produced by going straight from the Extreme USB into the first MkII reclocker continued to increase, reaching levels of emotional involvement on many albums that extend far beyond what I had previously experienced in my room with the MkI reclockers.

The Taiko tricked out Extreme and the Totaldac d1-12 MkII with dual MkII reclockers are a match made in heaven.

Last edited:

cat6man

Feb 6, 2013
west of NYC, east of SF
USPS is not fast currently, other customers used DHL, Fedex or UPS and this was fast, 2 to 3 days most times, so they already received back their reclocker.

it definitely is limited by usps processing. it took a week for it to go from my post office to flying out of Newark Airport.
i could walk that distance in less than a day. :)

in france, it sat the weekend but customs clearance only took a day, so it should be getting to the north soon.

Reactions: cmarin

cmarin

VIP/Donor
Jul 16, 2011
Texas
Today I received the last link in the totaldac-Taiko upgrade chain.

Vincent (totaldac) delivered a second mono amp-1 with a 20 amp IEC to replace my demo amp-1 with a 15 amp IEC. This allowed matching the other mono amp-1 using the Odin2 (20 amp) power cord directly without an adapter.

Turned the mono amp—1s at 5:00 pm. By 11 pm ...Holy crap!!...It was as if the last rope tethering the helium filled zeppelin was released, liberating the music into goosebump territory

...just gobs of greater clarity, scale, emotion etc at an increment that simply crumples the law of diminishing returns and throws it into the trash bin.

A grateful tip of the hat to the totaldac-Taiko team for allowing this mere mortal an opportunity to touch musical heaven

totaldac

Industry Expert
Aug 17, 2012
France
www.totaldac.com
Can Totaldac products be used with other sources than Totaldac DACs?

Here is the sound of a Totaldac system, but for other Totaldac products: d1-driver preamp, Amp-1 amplifier, c100 speaker cable and d100 speakers.
No digital source here but analog tape, a way to evaluate the amplifier and speakers without considering any DAC.

This short track show how loud and clean it can play:

This uncompressed track is available only on tape and doesn't exist in digital format.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Can Totaldac products be used with other sources than Totaldac DACs?

Here is the sound of a Totaldac system, but for other Totaldac products: d1-driver preamp, Amp-1 amplifier, c100 speaker cable and d100 speakers.
No digital source here but analog tape, a way to evaluate the amplifier and speakers without considering any DAC.

This short track show how loud and clean it can play:

This uncompressed track is available only on tape and doesn't exist in digital format.
Thanks Vincent fort sharing.

Will you become a dealer of the French Analog Audio Design tape decks? :)

totaldac

Industry Expert
Aug 17, 2012
France
www.totaldac.com
Reactions: CKKeung

totaldac

Industry Expert
Aug 17, 2012
France
www.totaldac.com

totaldac

Industry Expert
Aug 17, 2012
France
www.totaldac.com
Mono&Stereo magazine released a review of the Totaldac d100 speakers.

"The immediacy of the d100 allows the listener to interact with the magic of the music rather than observe sonic commodification, which is all too often the case with many speakers with much higher price tags.
Totaldac d100 wins the 2021 Mono & Stereo Highly Recommended award."

https://www.monoandstereo.com/2021/08/totaldac-d100-speakers-review.html

See also this dedicated tread: https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/new-totaldac-d100-speaker.32467

totaldac_d100_speakers_review_matej_isak_mono_and_stereo_2021_2022_ - 1.jpg

totaldac

Industry Expert
Aug 17, 2012
France
www.totaldac.com

totaldac

Industry Expert
Aug 17, 2012
France
www.totaldac.com
A review of the Totaldac d100 speakers by HifiPig:
https://hifipig.com/totaldac-d100-loudspeakers/

"A big, standard looking 2.5-way loudspeaker that manages to transcend its looks with a sonic performance that draws you in and captivates with its rightness.
They are dynamic and detailed in a way that they just shouldn’t be and with a presentation that seems neutral and natural whether you play them loud or at more moderate volumes.
I want some!
Editor's choice"

dedicated forum here: https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/new-totaldac-d100-speaker.32467/page-2

cmarin

VIP/Donor
Jul 16, 2011
Texas
A review of the Totaldac d100 speakers by HifiPig:
https://hifipig.com/totaldac-d100-loudspeakers/

"A big, standard looking 2.5-way loudspeaker that manages to transcend its looks with a sonic performance that draws you in and captivates with its rightness.
They are dynamic and detailed in a way that they just shouldn’t be and with a presentation that seems neutral and natural whether you play them loud or at more moderate volumes.
I want some!
Editor's choice"

dedicated forum here: https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/new-totaldac-d100-speaker.32467/page-2

Congrats Vincent!

Reactions: Scott Naylor

BF38

Oct 31, 2017
Hi,
i also have the chance to have these d100 for several days at home and i can only be agree with this review, like all the others ... music seems so so real, extremly impressive !

So same effect, same conclusion... i want some too !!!

Last edited:

totaldac

Industry Expert
Aug 17, 2012
France
www.totaldac.com
The feedback of the event by HifiPig:

"never have we experienced something quite as good as the Totaldac d100 loudspeaker launch."

"it sounded sublime. It was a very ‘live’ sound, dynamic and energetic but also very engaging and pure, perfect to relax and enjoy. David Solomon of Qobuz came with us and thought that someone was playing the piano live when we walked onto the boat."

"As an event, this was just magical."

totaldac-paris-cruise-hifi-show-oct-2021-8.jpg

Reactions: Addicted to hifi

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
The feedback of the event by HifiPig:

"never have we experienced something quite as good as the Totaldac d100 loudspeaker launch."

"it sounded sublime. It was a very ‘live’ sound, dynamic and energetic but also very engaging and pure, perfect to relax and enjoy. David Solomon of Qobuz came with us and thought that someone was playing the piano live when we walked onto the boat."

"As an event, this was just magical."

Thank you hifiPig for coming, thank you to the team, to all guests, and a big thank you the very talented musician!

View attachment 83095
Very nice system.

BF38

Oct 31, 2017
HI all,
i had the chance to be there and what magical moments, no other words! I sincerely did not think that I would be so captivated with such intensity by the music played, especially with this "landscape", Paris by night all along the Seine (and with Qobuz streaming !!)

Many many thanks to Vincent for giving us these suspended moments of music and shared humanity, they will remain in my memory.

Nice day

totaldac

Industry Expert
Aug 17, 2012
France
www.totaldac.com
Hello,
The d1-twelve-mk3 (upgraded from d1-twelve-mk2) has been released and some reviews are posted here:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing