The first Totaldac D1-Twelve Mk2 DAC in Hong Kong

Fohlenfan

Aug 28, 2016
So single ended output is fine.
If you think that your system is giving already too much triode characteristics then go to d1-six.
Else the d1-tube-mk2 is what you are looking for: warmer emotional side as you said.

A d1-direct would be perfect as well.

In any case a Totaldac relcocker will very much help the Aurender.
Thank´s a lot. Good to know.

cat6man

Feb 6, 2013
west of NYC, east of SF
So single ended output is fine.
If you think that your system is giving already too much triode characteristics then go to d1-six.
Else the d1-tube-mk2 is what you are looking for: warmer emotional side as you said.

A d1-direct would be perfect as well.

In any case a Totaldac relcocker will very much help the Aurender.

hi vincent

i've always used aes/ebu into your DAC(s), from the d1-dual (fed from rendu==>sotm txusbHD usb/ aes/ebu converter) to the d1-direct (fed by a totaldac reclocker)

is aes/ebu also the preferred input to the reclocker?

i'd appeciate your thoughts as i'm getting ready to try that experiment here with the outputs of a taiko extreme, which offers both outputs...............and of course, anyone else with experience comparing usb and aes/ebu into the reclocker or d1-twelve

Last edited:

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
hi vincent

i've always used aes/ebu into your DAC(s), from the d1-dual (fed from rendu==>sotm txusbHD usb/ aes/ebu converter) to the d1-direct (fed by a totaldac reclocker)

i'd appeciate your thoughts as i'm getting ready to try that experiment here with the outputs of a taiko extreme, which offers both outputs...............and of course, anyone else with experience comparing usb and aes/ebu into the reclocker or d1-twelve
IMHO the usb output of Extreme Server is a bit more transparent and vivid than its aes/ebu output.
This may be even more so, when the Extreme has got its proprietary internal usb card.
My 2 cents.

Reactions: cmarin

cat6man

Feb 6, 2013
west of NYC, east of SF
IMHO the usb output of Extreme Server is a bit more transparent and vivid than its aes/ebu output.
This may be even more so, when the Extreme has got its proprietary internal usb card.
My 2 cents.

Thanks CK.

Is that comparison with the latest TAS beta and the new driver?

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Thanks CK.

Is that comparison with the latest TAS beta and the new driver?
I got my impression in the pre-TAS era.
However if you understand the underlying mechanism of the Extreme's aes/ebu output, you will agree that it will remain the same when TAS is onboard.
;)

totaldac

Industry Expert
Aug 17, 2012
France
www.totaldac.com
hi vincent

Hi Cat6man,
I use mostly AES-EBU yes but you need to pass from the computer world to the audio world somewhere. I do this in the USB input of the reclocker (embedded in the d1-streamer) via a GIGAFILTER. You can also do this in a PCI to AES-EBU mounted in a Taiko extreme for example but it seems that most people prefer the USB output of the Taiko. Anyway you have to use such an asynchronous converter to pass from the computer world to the audio world, this is always a touchy part but by luck it is almost always bit-perfect so you can improve its jitter using one or several Totaldac reclockers. This really works.

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain
There are also DACs that perform Reclocking and double Reclocking on its USB input, saving us the cost of an external device.

totaldac

Industry Expert
Aug 17, 2012
France
www.totaldac.com
There are also DACs that perform Reclocking and double Reclocking on its USB input, saving us the cost of an external device.
All Totaldac DACs do it already with their double reclocking from the USB input, but a Totaldac reclocker helps again.

cat6man

Feb 6, 2013
west of NYC, east of SF
I got my impression in the pre-TAS era.
However if you understand the underlying mechanism of the Extreme's aes/ebu output, you will agree that it will remain the same when TAS is onboard.
;)

hi CK

doesn't the TAS buffering impact the aes/ebu output also?

(but i do not understand the details of aes/ebu...................)

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
hi CK

doesn't the TAS buffering impact the aes/ebu output also?

(but i do not understand the details of aes/ebu...................)
I did the comparison a year ago.
The spdif AES/EBU digital output of that Extreme Server was made by adding a top-level professional PCIe soundcard internally.
(I won't disclose the brand and model unless Emile agrees)

At that time, I found the usb digital output was more transparent and with less colouring.
With the coming Taiko Audio proprietary internal usb card for the Extreme, the usb output will have more advantages for sure.

Reactions: cmarin and matthias

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
I did the comparison a year ago.
The spdif AES/EBU digital output of that Extreme Server was made by adding a top-level professional PCIe soundcard internally.
(I won't disclose the brand and model unless Emile agrees)

At that time, I found the usb digital output was more transparent and with less colouring.
With the coming Taiko Audio proprietary internal usb card for the Extreme, the usb output will have more advantages for sure.

@cat6man
This makes absolutely sense in my view.
I would use the USB output of the Extreme with the new Taiko USB card.
The TotalDAC reclocker USB input is XMOS based, so a perfect match for the Taiko USB driver.

Matt

Reactions: CKKeung

totaldac

Industry Expert
Aug 17, 2012
France
www.totaldac.com
parttimeaudiophile.com has released his review of the Totaldac d1-tube-mk2 DAC.
This DAC will be used as reference DAC by the publisher now.

"In conclusion, I’m rather thrilled with the TotalDAC and a little envious that I have to ship it off to our publisher Scot Hull… I’ve enjoyed my time with it and certainly count it amongst the most enjoyable DACs I’ve heard."

https://parttimeaudiophile.com/.../totaldac-d1-tube-mk2.../

Reactions: cmarin and CKKeung

totaldac

Industry Expert
Aug 17, 2012
France
www.totaldac.com
The d1-streamer is now Squeezelite compatible, under a real time operating system.
It means that it can be controlled by a Logitec Media server.
It also means that you can use Roon and output audio via the Squeezelite network output instead of the RoonReady RAAT output and get the sound of Squeezelite under real time operating system.

icon-logitech-squeezebox-controller.png

Last edited:

BF38

Oct 31, 2017
Great new sound experience! Probably the best I have ever had.
So close to the acoustic event... does all of this really happen in my living room?

Thank you !

Last edited:

totaldac

Industry Expert
Aug 17, 2012
France
www.totaldac.com
A reclocker upgrade will be soon available.
Here are two recordings using this new reclocker upgrade (and the d100 speakers):

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
A reclocker upgrade will be soon available.
Here are two recordings using this new reclocker upgrade (and the d100 speakers):

Hi Vincent,
Pls tell us more about this Reclocker Upgrade.
Will it be beneficial to both Reclocker owners and D1-Twelve Mk2 dac owners?
Many thanks!

totaldac

Industry Expert
Aug 17, 2012
France
www.totaldac.com
Hi Vincent,
Pls tell us more about this Reclocker Upgrade.
Will it be beneficial to both Reclocker owners and D1-Twelve Mk2 dac owners?
Many thanks!
Yes it is for the Totaldac d1-digital reclockers owners, so also for the d1-twelve-mk2 owners and d1-streamer owners.

Among upgrades are:
-in the FPGA, with a lower jitter implementation. The volume control and the optional DSD to pcm conversion had to be removed to allow this new reclocker implementation
-an optimisation in the clock system
-in a custom RF shield to reject even more the jitter from the source
-the live-power to reject even more the noise from the mains network

cat6man

Feb 6, 2013
west of NYC, east of SF
Yes it is for the Totaldac d1-digital reclockers owners, so also for the d1-twelve-mk2 owners and d1-streamer owners.

Among upgrades are:
-in the FPGA, with a lower jitter implementation. The volume control and the optional DSD to pcm conversion had to be removed to allow this new reclocker implementation

is this an upgrade to the live-power unit itself, or a swap of the old power supply for a live-power version?

totaldac

Industry Expert
Aug 17, 2012
France
www.totaldac.com
is this an upgrade to the live-power unit itself, or a swap of the old power supply for a live-power version?
It is a swap of the old power supply for a live-power version.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong

Among upgrades are:
Thanks Vincent for the info.

I would like to know whether the Reclocker or the D1-Twelve Mk2 can still receive and decode DSD digital signal from usb input & spdif inputs(DoP) after this "Reclocker Upgrade"?
Thanks again!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing