The Doors Album -- Best Reissue

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
There have been so many vinyl re-issues of the debut album by The Doors titled The Doors.

Who has compared these various re-issues directly?

Is there a consensus on which re-issue sounds the best?

How is the Acoustic Sounds 45RPM reissue?

Which re-issue was re-mastered using an all-tube electronics chain from the original master tapes?

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Thank you.

We have to acknowledge that the quality of a new remastering must offset the inexorable decline in the fidelity of the master tape.

In other words a reissue from 10 years ago remastered using audiophile remastering techniques might sound better than an even better remastering electronics chain used today but from a further time-degraded tape.

Last edited:

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
The AS 45 series sounds great. Have you heard any of the 45 reissues? The 45 of LA woman is a knock out as well.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
The AS 45RPM of The Doors beat the sound quality of three (3) different tapes my friend and I A/Bed against the LP.

PS: This proved, again, that just because it's tape it doesn't mean it's better!

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
The AS 45 series sounds great. Have you heard any of the 45 reissues? The 45 of LA woman is a knock out as well.
i've had a 15ips, 1/4" master dub (of unknown provenance) of 'L.A. Woman' for many years which is pretty fine. owned it for maybe 13-14 years. i play 'Rider's On The Storm' from that as the encore/last cut to group listening sessions and it kills it. the AP 45 is very good and not embarrassed by the tape....but the tape is a level better.

some tapes could be digitally sourced. just say'n. they are out there.

Last edited:

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
The AS 45RPM of The Doors beat the sound quality of three (3) different tapes my friend and I A/Bed against the LP.

PS: This proved, again, that just because it's tape it doesn't mean it's better!
competently dubbed tapes are as perfectly garbage in/garbage out as it comes. depends on what it starts with.

Reactions: Ron Resnick

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
A friend of mine has this collection: The Doors - The Singles

I only heard two records, but I went ahead and purchased it for myself.

He also has The Doors - The Doors Japanese pressing which sounds excellent.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

I re-did this comparison in the new system. I carefully level-matched the sources.

This time, on the Studer, I preferred the tape. The tape, I think, sounded a bit more open and transparent. It definitely had a greater sense of depth.

Reactions: Mike Lavigne

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing