The Direct to Disc thread

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Back to the D2D's. Tonight I re-visited this LP... c5d19432eaa774e99f728dd2421a74b5.jpg and it is truly an excellent disc. One that definitely belongs high on this list.

Also listened to the Thelma Houston LP... download.jpg . While this has decent sound, the music does nothing for me. So a pass on this one IMO.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Tonight, what I believe to be one of the best sounding classical guitar recordings and a great performance to boot. A real joy to listen to on my SF GH's.

th-1.jpeg

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I get updates on the price of this LP for the past so many years, and this is the highest asking price that I've seen. Usually it hovers in the $400-$500 range.

Not bad when the initial MSRP was $3.99

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
Interesting. Although I don't think that one can get a good idea of the SQ of the LP from a you tube vid. The music OTOH could certainly be enjoyed...or not, as the case may be.

Exactly! What he said...

I was not listening for sound quality, I was listening for general musical involvement/enjoyment.

It was a matter of if I liked it enough to click the buy it now option...or not.

I love you tube for music discovery, that and the prog rock thread here.

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
Picked these two up for $10.
Not a spindle mark on them!

And these for $40.

Getting very anxious to get my kit back together!

Reactions: mtemur

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
The Thelma and For Duke are great scores.....however, looking at the covers, they would seem to be in VG to VG+ condition, at best. Even though there appear to be no spindle marks, have you actually played them?
Spindle marks are not always the best determinant, IME.

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
No I have not played them, thus my comment at the bottom of my post.

The Houston cover is rough I know but the vinyl inside by every visual indication is dead flat and flawless.

I was not about the play them on the provided turntable at the store, only used it to check flatness.

He also gives a blanket, "If it's not as quiet as you want it to be, bring it back y'all"

He does not try to hide anything, he does not clean them prior to putting them out so you get to see how they were treated throughout their life.

Been collecting vinyl for many many moons and some of my quietest vinyl has come out of some pretty nasty covers and some of my worst vinyl out of some of the cleanest covers (some new sealed), sometimes I pair them up.

The vinyl being the most important.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Picked these two up for $10.
Not a spindle mark on them!

And these for $40.

Getting very anxious to get my kit back together!

Great hunting! A few years ago I stepped inside a record shop in San Francisco and asked for a few titles, the shop owner punched into his computer and have me skyrocketing prices based of eBay etc. Certainly there was nothing around $10 for a good direct to disc over there.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Here's the thing of it...IME when collecting vinyl, one can never really know what the true condition of the record is until it is played on one's TT. The cover can be pristine, the record can be pristine ( to the eye) and yet it can be as noisy as hell once the stylus comes down.
Conversely, the cover can be poor ( although again IME, that is not a good sign as to the overall quality of the condition of the vinyl once it has hit the TT) and the record can be quiet....not usual though, IMHO.
Just some of the joys of collecting vinyl..;)

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
Agreed 100% on all counts, so if the price is right I don't mind taking the chance.
I heard LSC1901 Pathetique at THE Show a couple years ago for the first time and loved it. So of course I came home and got stupid on ebay and bought what looked like a pristine copy, and it is, looking....SMH

So with my recent haul, all of it is exchangable if I don't like it.

Now since I have takin my kit down I have aquire probably 4-500 new and used wax discs to sort through.

It truly is a sickness I cannot control! :)

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I just remember I have this on my self, haven't played it in a long time, but sure is a 'demo quality' guitar and bass album, by Almeida and Ray Brown, on the original Jeton label from Germany, Direct to Disc.

pc260008.jpg

Reactions: mtemur

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA

One of the problems with the resurgence of vinyl. I know a guy who searched for years for a sealed copy of this title. He bought five or six NM copies instead because he never found a sealed copy. Then one day his new bride gave him a sealed copy as a gift. She had known he was looking and had stumbled upon a copy somewhere. One never knows how that can happen, but it does. He knows he married the right woman.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
One of the problems with the resurgence of vinyl. I know a guy who searched for years for a sealed copy of this title. He bought five or six NM copies instead because he never found a sealed copy. Then one day his new bride gave him a sealed copy as a gift. She had known he was looking and had stumbled upon a copy somewhere. One never knows how that can happen, but it does. He knows he married the right woman.

This is a 100% true story. And the wife is delighted that she made it into a WBF post!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing