The Crown Season 3 | Official Trailer | Netflix

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Steve, I find the premise of The Crown a little preposterous. I know Americans are fascinated by our royal family, but most/all of the intrigue in the show is fake.
I hope there is no rider that says "...based on real events..." because it should say "...totally made up for dramatic purposes..." Lol.

However, I look forward to seeing onscreen the absolutely genuine racist and sexist comments made by Prince Phillip in the last 70 years.

Do you think these will make it to the final cut?

The Crown is as accurate as Downton Abbey.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Steve, I love you too Lol.
I'm genuinely curious about the show.
I grant you, Princess Margaret had a fascinating bittersweet life. You could make an entire series based on her alone.
Diana, well no shortage of material there.
But the Queen herself? She is scrupulously rumour- and innuendo-free, and hence hard to form any compelling drama based purely on her life.
Imagine the least controversial politician in US history. Now make a drama of more than a few episodes.

Unless The Crown is a way of dramatising the events that touched us all in the last 70 yrs.

I just feel the Royal Family as a pivot for a drama must be 99.999% imagination, the rest truth.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Re biopics, I do wish the Oscars and Emmys would run a seperate category. Noone has a hope in the Best Picture etc categories, up against great biopics.

Does Joker count? If it does, that's my biopic Lol.

I had high hopes for the Miles Davis biopic w DCheadle. But instead of showing Miles in the studio in the 70s formulating the music that would be the template for much of the experimental stuff today (On The Corner), the heroin habit, the fashion, the Ferraris and Lamborghinis and the career and life threatening hip fractures related to those cars, we got an alternative universe narrative of lost mastertapes, PIs, and Miles running around a lot.

Real life and biopics don't easily converge.

Quite liked Bohemian Rhapsody. Superior to the Elton John one.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
She is scrupulously rumour- and innuendo-free, and hence hard to form any compelling drama based purely on her life.
You mean they left the part about her saddling up Philip and lashing him with a riding crop on the cutting room floor? I'm disappointed.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Well, that's why he lashed out in his way, w hilarious consequences against our cousins in the Indian Sub-Continent, and against the fair sex.

Netflix wouldn't DARE put Philip's exclamations out there, the woke of America would choke on their non-White supremacist Quinoa and Tofu.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
There seems to be an entire sub-genre of 'fake British history for the soap-opera-addled Yanks'.

"Absolutely Fabulous" kept me watching, though, to my great personal shame and chagrin.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Well, Blackadder is scrupulously historically accurate.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I always wonder what our fearless leader Ron made of us when he lived here for over a year.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
As is Monty Python, I am sure of it.
Just got the BluRay boxset. The more cultured Americans got their SOH from Python etc. For me, a diet of British Python/Blackadder/Fawlty Towers and American Bilko/Taxi/Seinfeld/Frasier/Larry Sanders, gives you the tools to deal w the frankly surreal world we live in today.

If you put the gist of Trump, Dems 2019 mass insanity, Brexit, political correctness, ID politics, social media obsession, to the Python team in the 70s as ideas for sketches, they would have turned them down as too whacky even for them to contemplate. And those boys were SERIOUSLY whacky.

Life today is crazier by far than the Ministry Of Funny Walks and Dead Parrot sketches.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
They would be so strangled by PC from the Overbearing Propaganda Ministers, they would be unable to generate anything that was actually funny.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Carl, get this.
The current head of BBC Comedy (a grand irony if there ever was one), some young guy not yet out of nappies, infected w the virus of intersectionality, recently declared: how could anyone find the five Python guys (Cleese, Palin, Chapman, Idle and Gilliam) funny, being private school/Oxbridge educated Upper Middle Class white men, and men only.

He didn't mean how would anyone today in 2019 find sketches from 50 years ago funny (today's tastes being different).

No, he literally meant how could anyone in this age, where we finally realise the terrible sins perpetrated by Upper Middle Class white men in the past, find anyone from this category funny. Full stop.

Yes, you read that right.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
They certainly get their marching orders from the same inscrutable, centralized multinational Politburos. Unfortunately, I am old enough to remember what a semblance of free speech was actually like.

In the detective shows spanning decades like Midsomer Murders, you can watch year by year as the SJW stuff creeps in. A couple of the recent ones have so much inclusion they need antacids and laxatives. I especially like it when they re-write historical periods with hip inclusion and PC, like Granchester.

Somebody needs to start a "Bodice Ripper England Tours" for paper back gripping American spinsters. It would make a pile and the tour guides would get laid until they went silly.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Rewrites?
Try this for starters, the new lavish BBC co-production of Dracula has a FEMALE Van Helsing.

Yep, women had SUCH job opportunities back in the day.

And they're REALLY playing up his pansexual character.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
There was one show that was very interesting from the SJW perspective. A spy drama called 'Traitors'. It had all of the push button PC/SJW etc. tags. However, the writers managed to dance through them like a field of cow pies to actually tell the synoptic story.

I guess it's the new McCarthyism of PC. You have to tell your stories in symbolic allegories around and under the propaganda ministry's required content.

The grand irony of 'Traitors' is it tells the story of post WWII groundwork that lead to our 'modern' social, economic, military, intelligence and information tyranny, while itself being an example of that tyranny. I don't know if that was accidental or intentional..

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing