The cars you have loved, or are in love with. Tell us your car history and what each one taught you

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
Here's a brief history of some memorable cars of mine...

'94 RX-7 - my first true sports car. Absolutely fabulous when running correctly, which was rare for me. Still one of the most beautiful cars ever IMO. The relationship was short-lived...
View attachment 126545

94 Supra - Having learned my lesson with fragile/finicky drivetrains, I went to the other end of the spectrum. Bulletproof turbocharged inline 6/6-speed manual with a huge turbo = lots of fun. I still own this. It's as comfortable on the road course as it its the drag strip. I will likely keep this forever as my son will kill me if I sold it.

View attachment 126547

'23 Lexus LC 500 - A recent add but checks many boxes for us. Ridiculously high build quality (typical Lexus), intoxicating V8 exhaust noises, and a breathtaking interior which pampers you in luxury. Every drive is an event with this automobile.
View attachment 126560 View attachment 126561

Cars I will always lust over...

View attachment 126562
View attachment 126563
View attachment 126564
The 90's was a special era for jap cars. Three of which compete with my audio system for disposable funds
1989 r32 skyline gtr
1999 Mitsubishi evo6 gsr
2001 toyota mr-s, a 90's design
My perfect three car garage.

Last edited:
Reactions: DasguteOhr

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
This is all my experience...

I have mainly owned Japanese cars for the past decade plus and before that Volvos (Swedish). The Japanese cars are built to last and for the most part are trouble-free. Volvos are in a higher class, better engineered but more expensive to own. For a long time my favorite car was a 1996 Volvo 960.

4 months ago I bought my first BMW, a 3 Series 330i xDrive and it is already my favorite car. Boy, do the Germans know how to engineer cars.

Slingblade

Jan 24, 2024
East Coast
The 90's was a special era for jap cars. Three of which compete with my audio system for disposable funds
1989 r32 skyline gtr
1999 Mitsubishi evo6 gsr
It was an amazing time for almost all auto makers! We sound like were cut from the same cloth!! Between the cars and the audio I can't afford any other hobbies. :)

Here's what's under the hood of the Supra. About as built as it can be while keeping full water jackets.

Screenshot 2024-03-07 at 4.38.21 PM.png

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
1989 r32 skyline gtr
1999 Mitsubishi evo6 gsr
Skyline gtr 32 in fast'n furious blue:eek: a dream.
My favorite jap car smokey nagata supra gt 300 a unicorn last year in a auction (uk) sddefault.jpg
There are ten of them with different engines and front designs.this one v12 biturbo 389km/h

Last edited:
Reactions: infinitely baffled

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
It was a street ported 13b with a Greddy T78 single turbo, IC, Stand-alone ECU and a few other goodies. I didn't realize how small it was until I sat in another one recently - it's not much more spacious than the Miata!

My car was very similar to your Vid - black 94 R2 on white TE37's. :)
Imagine what it would be like with a modern turbo.:cool:
A G30 660 springs to mind...a gt30 sized blower making T78 numbers. The spool up would be astounding, and more progressive than the Trust, making for a smoother transition onto boost....deffo a bonus with front engine rwd. Though tbh the Fd was front - mid engined

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
It was an amazing time for almost all auto makers! We sound like were cut from the same cloth!! Between the cars and the audio I can't afford any other hobbies. :)

Here's what's under the hood of the Supra. About as built as it can be while keeping full water jackets.

View attachment 126578
Single throttle body, mahoosive tubby, prolly good for a ten on street tyres?
Very naughty. Supra just brilliant.:p I mean the enemy, obvs, being a skyline man.
But truth be told, Supra had the better engine with the 2jz not sized down to a race requirment like the rb26 was
3 litre has to be the optimum fer a straight six?
but skyline had the better transmission with the 4wd attessa,,( once you rip out the hicas) meaning more power hitting the road more o the time. But you cannot argue with 2jz....ultimate would be a combo

I went with OS Gikken 3.0., which we dry sumped We're about to rebuild to a 3.2, but that's locked into a funding deathmatch with a pair of field coil dipoles...

Last edited:

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
Skyline gtr 32 in fast'n furious blue:eek: a dream.
My favorite jap car smokey nagata supra gt 300 a unicorn last year in a auction (uk) View attachment 126579
There are ten of them with different engines and front designs.this one v12 biturbo 389km/h
I saw underbonnet on one of them, and it was terrible. A proper rats nest, pleniums didn't align, ridiculously complicated wiring. I always throught v12 inna supra is a solution looking for a problem. I guess if you were pure jdm straight six was too humdrum? But the one i saw, that sure made it look difficult. Very difficult indeed, when single turbo 2jz makes it look sooo easy #hattip

Last edited:
  • Sad

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
This is all my experience...

I have mainly owned Japanese cars for the past decade plus and before that Volvos (Swedish). The Japanese cars are built to last and for the most part are trouble-free. Volvos are in a higher class, better engineered but more expensive to own. For a long time my favorite car was a 1996 Volvo 960.

4 months ago I bought my first BMW, a 3 Series 330i xDrive and it is already my favorite car. Boy, do the Germans know how to engineer cars.
Now that bmw have embraced 4wd and turbocharging, they are seriously back on my radar. I mean, theyre almost as good as jap cars from the 90's:D

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
Very naughty. Supra just brilliant.:p I mean the enemy, obvs, being a skyline man.
But truth be told, Supra had the better engine with the 2jz not sized down to a race requirment like the rb26 was
but skyline had the better transmission with the 4wd attessa,,( once you rip out the hicas) meaning more power hitting the road more o the time. But you cannot argue with 2jz....ultimate would be a combo

I went with OS Gikken 3.0., which we dry sumped We're about to rebuild to a 3.2, but that's locked into a funding deathmatch with a pair of field coil dipoles...
I think i have a lot of fun in the summer with the golf. You need no soundsystem in the car the engine is the soundsystem.:cool:
The official successor to the 2jz is the BMW B58 or M3/4 Models S58 engine. I saw at a friend have 200hp with software mapping to a downpipe with 200 cell catalytic converters. is the engine of the new supra. 800hp /950Nmwith stock engine can easily be achieved.
With bigger turbo maybe 1000hp?

Last edited:

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Early this year I let go of my E63S. It had very low mileage and went to a friend who is a true enthusiast and would take care of Max as he was fondly named by my son. The fact that it had low mileage was the reason I let Max go. I only drive far for golf or for the beach. As such the SUVs ended up the vehicles of choice. The E63S was designed to shuttle executives from key city to key city over stretches of good roads a some city driving. That's not what I do. While long stretches of freeway (with no cops!) are involved in making trips to my favorite towns in the coral triangle, I go through mountain passes with some roads that are quite raw and with very tight turns. I ended up looking for a vehicle that could basically do it all, including bringing gear, luggage and coolers for myself and three passengers while also being more than able to put a stupid grin on my face LOL

I decided on what many call the dumbest category of cars of all time but clearly fits my needs exactly. I could even deliver a pair of monoblocks in these LOL That would be the "Performance SUV".

I always thought that when the day came to fulfill the childhood dream of owning a Porsche it would be a 911. The GTS would have been my choice as I always considered it the best rounded. GT3 Touring would be my audiophile choice because of that redline. What I did end up with is the Cayenne Turbo GT. Around the city it is quiet and feels light and nimble helped by the 4 wheel steering I guess, but even the inputs are light but precise. When let loose, sh!t eating grin is guaranteed with handling that is seriously "low car" good.

While horsepower and acceleration are sexy and sell cars, handling and braking are what will keep you alive. This is ultimately what sold me on the Turbo GT. That and the fact that unless you are a car nerd, you probably would see it and think that it is just another Cayenne. I like sleepers :D

The Burmester system is also pretty good so really, it scratches every itch.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Early this year I let go of my E63S. It had very low mileage and went to a friend who is a true enthusiast and would take care of Max as he was fondly named by my son. The fact that it had low mileage was the reason I let Max go. I only drive far for golf or for the beach. As such the SUVs ended up the vehicles of choice. The E63S was designed to shuttle executives from key city to key city over stretches of good roads a some city driving. That's not what I do. While long stretches of freeway (with no cops!) are involved in making trips to my favorite towns in the coral triangle, I go through mountain passes with some roads that are quite raw and with very tight turns. I ended up looking for a vehicle that could basically do it all, including bringing gear, luggage and coolers for myself and three passengers while also being more than able to put a stupid grin on my face LOL

I decided on what many call the dumbest category of cars of all time but clearly fits my needs exactly. I could even deliver a pair of monoblocks in these LOL That would be the "Performance SUV".

I always thought that when the day came to fulfill the childhood dream of owning a Porsche it would be a 911. The GTS would have been my choice as I always considered it the best rounded. GT3 Touring would be my audiophile choice because of that redline. What I did end up with is the Cayenne Turbo GT. Around the city it is quiet and feels light and nimble helped by the 4 wheel steering I guess, but even the inputs are light but precise. When let loose, sh!t eating grin is guaranteed with handling that is seriously "low car" good.

While horsepower and acceleration are sexy and sell cars, handling and braking are what will keep you alive. This is ultimately what sold me on the Turbo GT. That and the fact that unless you are a car nerd, you probably would see it and think that it is just another Cayenne. I like sleepers :D

The Burmester system is also pretty good so really, it scratches every itch.
Exactly why I owned a Lotus...lots of twisty mountain roads in Switzerland...

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Exactly why I owned a Lotus...lots of twisty mountain roads in Switzerland...
I've driven a bit of your twisties. Yours are MUCH better.

Reactions: morricab

Slingblade

Jan 24, 2024
East Coast

Nice - agree about AWD, but I wouldn't trade my Getrag V160 for anything. I have a friend putting a DCT from an M3 behind his 2J which should be amazing.

Mines a 3.4 stroker (BC crank, Carillo rods, CP pistons, billet mains), 10:1 compression, built head with big valves, 1700cc injectors, 3 fuel pumps, Motec M800... and on and on and on.

Here's a cool video of it being broken in/calibrated

Thankfully it's essentially done - so no deathmatch with my audio funds. Those are currently fighting with my sanity however! lol

mxk116

Mar 24, 2022
A few friends are currently helping me set up a Golf GTI Mark One 16V with an single throttle suction system. My youth car is being revived again. Its not fast but ihope its sounds emotional like that ~175Hp at 8200rpm 850kg weight.

Preview engine View attachment 126573 [/MEDIA]
Here's an old video of my favorite VW at Sebring.

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
Here's an old video of my favorite VW at Sebring.

The VR6 (3.2lt) naturally aspirated engine has a special sound, unfortunately don't many original ones outthere today. Most battles are the car and with the engine over 1000HP+ drag race monsters or engine swap in older golf are built.You can still get affordable originals (Golf 4 R32 in Japan, here in Germany over 35k€

Last edited:

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
Special request for Slingblade:cool:

2.3 bored and stroked and forged- 4g64 block, mitsubishi 4g64 crank, Wiseco pistons, Manley rods. HKS cams, pulleys and valve springs
Dry sump lubrication, currently running an Evo9 turbo, which when mapped on the Haltech ecu will be good for ~420hp.
Obviously thats not needing all the bottom end work, the plan is to replace the evo9 turbo with a G30 660gtx or possibly a 770gtx. But i wanted to address the transmission first, which was the build the car just returned from two weeks ago. We machined and then rebuilt the transfer box with a Wavetrac helical diff front, and a Mitsubishi RS plated rear diff. The Wavetrac we modified to get it to lock up quicker than standard. Also added new Exedy twin plate clutch to replace the awful ATS carbon clutch i had. Plus chunkier driveshafts, Alcon brake discs, Carbotech pads, we're still using the excellent Brembo calipers.
Suspension- wise got the full Whiteline catalogue of anti roll bars and stiffening frames, plus Samsonas three way adjustible Irish Tarmac Rally- spec coilovers with remote reservoirs. So atm each day begins with me crawling underneath with my spanners to adjust the rear shox :D
Happy daze....

Attachments

• 20230902_164014.jpg
    20230902_164014.jpg
    712 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
Nice - agree about AWD, but I wouldn't trade my Getrag V160 for anything. I have a friend putting a DCT from an M3 behind his 2J which should be amazing.

Mines a 3.4 stroker (BC crank, Carillo rods, CP pistons, billet mains), 10:1 compression, built head with big valves, 1700cc injectors, 3 fuel pumps, Motec M800... and on and on and on.

Here's a cool video of it being broken in/calibrated

Thankfully it's essentially done - so no deathmatch with my audio funds. Those are currently fighting with my sanity however! lol
Wow....engine dyno instead of rolling road. Proper pro-team bizness

gfroman

Dec 28, 2012
My Porsche TTS is always a thrill and the best car I have ever owned.
Never been to the Dealer once for any problems!
Launch control will thrust you from 0-60 in about 2.6sec

Last edited:

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
My Porsche TTS is always a thrill and the best car I have ever owned.
Never been to the Dealer once for any problems!
Launch control will thrust you from 0-60 in about 2.6sec

Porsche is a racecar build for the street. You can do 10laps on the nordschleife (nürburg ring 20.6km) without overheating or trouble. When the tires are not cooking. Do it with a ferrari 4 laps then game over over 140° degree oil. Best trackcar on this planet 992 gt 3rs
When you are in germany, book a lap ring taxi or at apex rental racecars as copilot thats insane.
A lap video from manthey racing

Last edited:

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
Delete

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing