The cars you have loved, or are in love with. Tell us your car history and what each one taught you

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
Ok lets start with an apology to WBass for taking over his excellent thread about 'Horn Speakers available in the UK' with our petrolhead-chatter.
Out of respect to them, let's begin a fresh thread in the right place?

So i invite you to list your significant car history, or your current garage, with any insights into why you chose the models you did, and what they mean(t) to you

My own history:
First car 1970 Triumph Herald 1360.
Freedom! My first car....and my introduction to standing by the side of the road awaiting a breakdown truck.
A challenging, no strike that, a bloody lethal first car due to it's antiquated rear suspension that would load up in hard cornering, and then spit back at you as you exited the corner. No synchro mesh in the gearbox, no brakes whatsoever, floaty steering and handling....and i realised that classic cars are not for me.
I was lucky to get out of that in one piece

Ford Fiesta xr2
My mum's car, and a rather galling experience. Proof that i preferred the desperately uncool hot hatchback over an English style icon. Right up until the point i rolled it, age 18.
My mum didn't speak to me for three years because it was actually hers

Lotus Sunbeam
My first decent car. And what a handful. Powerful engine in a short wheelbase rwd hatchback, it asked very severe questions of the driver, and remains the car i have spun the most times. It was ok when you were attacking flat out, but when you were cruising it could catch you out with the back stepping out on wet roads at piddling speeds. A car to lend to someone you don't like...

Toyota AE86 GT Coupe
A proper machine. Reliable as well as quick. My first taste of Japanese motoring set a very high standard.
Kept this for almost a decade, mildly tuned, stage one. Another short wheelbase rwd coupe, also a handful in the wet.

Westfield SEi
Poor man's Caterham 7. Remains the newest car I've owned...and one of the worst ownership experiences.
Taught me never to buy British again. The car itself was enchanting at 500kg's, but the fact that bits kept falling off and how awful Westfield were to deal with meant it got traded after only a couple of years. And i didn't half feel a wally driving it in central london, as i was living on Ladbroke Grove at the time

Toyota Celica gt4
Back to Japanese, and my first grey import. In truth it was a big disappointment after the Westfield, too heavy and remote after the whole 7 experience of piloting a laser beam. Ended by a driver falling asleep on the M1 and piling into the back of me. I spent the insurance payout on importing a...

Nissan Pulsar (Sunny) gtiR
A proper weapon. Everything the Celica wasn't. Positive, responsive, limpet- like grip from 4wd and 230bhp, although i got it up to close to 300 before it's passing. A greatly underrated machine.
Regrettably mine got stolen in Battersea.

R32 Nissan Skyline gtr
Another grey import, and really, the ultimate by a long way. This remains my benchmark for a road car. Tuned it gently at first, then after a bottom end failure caused by a tuner's oil leak, we went for a big power 3.0 build, dry sumped, roll cage and lighweight grp doors and lexan windows
It made 620 at the wheels, now we're reshelling and aiming higher

Toyota mr-s (mr2 roadster, the lightweight Elise clone)
Could this be the most underrated car I've owned? If you value feel and mid engined traction, plus added lightness on a budget, this is a must have. Bought to fill the gap while awaiting my Skyline, I'm on my second one 15 years later, with a 2zz engine and 6 spd gearbox swap, bored and stoked to 2.0, cams, stand alone ecu, Aragosta coilovers, makes ~240bhp

Mitsubishi Evo 6 gsr
My current project, hoping to be finished by Christmas. All my usual tricks, 4g64 block, bored and stroked to 2.3, steel internals, dry sumped, initially will be limited to 420bhp on standard evo 9 turbo, but once I've recovered financially we'll be back to take advantage of the strength we've built in with a big turbo and injectors and a standalone ecu. Should make an easy 600 whp when finished.

Ftr, there's also been plenty of 1 litre fiestas and the like during lean times and while awaiting builds.

So. There's my history. What's yours?

heihei

VIP/Donor
Jul 24, 2017
First car: Triumph Dolomite 1500
First decent car: Lancia Delta HF Turbo
First sports car: E46 M3 in phoenix yellow with kiwi leather interior
First convertible: TVR Chimaera 450 in imperial blue
Best q-car: Alpina B5 Touring E60-series
Best family car: Audi RS6 de-badged complete with tow-bar and roof box C7 series
Best car outright: Mclaren 675LT

Sablon Audio

Industry Expert, VIP Donor
May 22, 2015
Ok, here goes.

Mini 1275 GT with a 1380 rally tuned engine. Somewhat unreliable and badly built.

Fiesta XR2 - more modern version of above but somewhat uninspiring

Alfa Sprint QV - lovely engine which revved to the heavens but bodywork fell apart fast.

Fiat Uno Turbo, superchipped - a case study in torque steer.

Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 - lovely car on so many levels. Real feel good experience and would happily revisit.

Citroen 2CV (had just bought my first house) - form follows function and maintaining momentum was the order of the day (until it hit an immovable object)

Triumph Spitfire - archaic POS.

Caterham 7 Prisoner replica - steering with the throttle

Golf Gti mk1 1800 for rainy days - very wooden brakes

Lotus Elise mk1 - sublime handling

Golf GTi mk2 1800 8v - more rounded and capable than mk1

BMW M3 e30 Cecotto - lacked torque for road use / to work chassis

Porsche 964RS - buy the legend, sell the fact. Never really gelled.

BMW 328 e36 - lovely engine.

Golf GTi - great allrounder but we live in central London and hardly drive these days, 36k miles in 16 years and average is falling away as kids grow up. Everything has been subtly uprated over the years to tighten up the driving experience. All the car we need but inevitably sometimes want more.

Ducati Steetfighter 1098S - two wheels makes you feel more alive than four. The tricky bit is staying alive.

Dreamcar? i rather fancy Jay Leno’s Lotus 26R. Smaller lighter cars can be used more fully on our roads than large overpowered supercars.

What have I learnt? I think that for me, handling and responsiveness along with a sensation of speed are more rewarding than speed in itself.

Last edited:

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
First car: Triumph Dolomite 1500
First decent car: Lancia Delta HF Turbo
First sports car: E46 M3 in phoenix yellow with kiwi leather interior
First convertible: TVR Chimaera 450 in imperial blue
Best q-car: Alpina B5 Touring E60-series
Best family car: Audi RS6 de-badged complete with tow-bar and roof box C7 series
Best car outright: Mclaren 675LT
My word.
That started well and then came on cam quickly...i was oohing and aahing all the way to the bottom
Do any compete with the TVR for best exhaust noise?

London in the 90's was a place you could car-spot TVR's without seeing them, thanks to the magnificent carpet of sound they floated about on

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
Ok, here goes.

Mini 1275 GT with a 1380 rally tuned engine. Somewhat unreliable and badly built.

Fiesta XR2 - more modern version of above but somewhat uninspiring

Alfa Sprint QV - lovely engine which revved to the heavens but bodywork fell apart fast.

Fiat Uno Turbo, superchipped - a case study in torque steer.

Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 - lovely car on so many levels. Real feel good experience and would happily revisit.

Citroen 2CV (had just bought my first house) - form follows function and maintaining momentum was the order of the day (until it hit an immovable object)

Triumph Spitfire - archaic POS.

Caterham 7 Prisoner replica - steering with the throttle

Golf Gti mk1 1800 for rainy days - very wooden brakes

Lotus Elise mk1 - sublime handling

Golf GTi mk2 1800 8v - more rounded and capable than mk1

Porsche 964RS - buy the legend, sell the fact. Never really gelled.

BMW 328 e36 - lovely engine.

Golf GTi - great allrounder but we live in central London and hardly drive these days, 36k miles in 16 years and average is falling away as kids grow up. Everything has been subtly uprated over the years to tighten up the driving experience. All the car we need but inevitably sometimes want more.

Ducati Steetfighter 1098S - two wheels makes you feel more alive than four. The tricky bit is staying alive.

Dreamcar? i rather fancy Jay Leno’s Lotus 26R. Smaller lighter cars can be used more fully on our roads than large overpowered supercars.

Nice...another lotus 7 widow?the desire for another still burns bright within me.
It's the R400 that usually calls the loudest

Triumph spitfire, same wretched handling as my Herald. But pleasant enough interior.
Other than that, you went German when i went Jap.
The eternal divide...in Europe at least.
A great list

Reactions: gleeds and wbass

heihei

VIP/Donor
Jul 24, 2017
My word.
That started well and then came on cam quickly...i was oohing and aahing all the way to the bottom
Do any compete with the TVR for best exhaust noise?

London in the 90's was a place you could car-spot TVR's without seeing them, thanks to the magnificent carpet of sound they floated about on
I actually owned the TVR when I still lived in London, and did a tour of the tunnels early one Sunday morning with the local TVR car club - was epic! The B5 came close as a supercharged V8, and the RS6 was good for a turbo'd V8, but ultimately the TVR takes the prize!
You could probably replicate it by playing a recording through your stack of Velodyne subs!!

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
MiniCooper S 1275 731 Cam Red/Black Roof Minilites
Porsche 911E Mustard /Cookie Cutters
Porsche 911S Red /Waldegard Mods( Titanium Rods /etc/etc)
BMW 635CSI Black
Mercedes AMG 500 Midnight Blue /BBSwheels
BMW750i- age demanded the change;)

And the finest of them all and the one I regretted selling --stupidity was always my downfall:mad:
1990 BMW E30 M3 Evo II --converted to RH Drive by Birds UK chipped up to 253 BHP
The venerable of the time Pocket Rocket so safe and stable corners or just flat out--the Ultimate Drivers car.

Those were the days-enjoy

BruceD

beaur

Fleetwood Sound
Oct 12, 2011
Brooklyn
1948 Willys Pickup - learned to drive in this monster. Could work on the engine standing inside the bay! No power, anything.
1985 Chevy Cavalier - 1st car I paid $$$ for. Believe it or not it was a 5-speed. A workhorse that didn't die.
1991 Ford Probe - Convient. I got it for free and it lasted until I didn't need it any more.
2006 Mini Countryman - after years with no car had kids and needed something easy to park.
2012 Mini Countryman - larger kids mean larger Mini.
2108 Nissan Rogue - Finally bowed to impending college drop-offs and much larger kids.

Living in Brooklyn with no garage = pick cars for their convenience not for their fun factor. Minis were a hoot to drive for what they were. My car fun was done with generous friends, rental or paying for track days.

Beau

mr-particle

Dec 20, 2012
Germany
I have a long history of cars I have owned, some for daily work & live, but the majority for fun or just to own them.
What has changed after this long row of (fun) cars, like Porsche or Ferraris, is, that I am now enjoy very much an EV, a Polestar 2.
What ever one might think about EVs, wether they are good or bad
for the environment, but this car has an amazing acceleration and in contrast to gasoline powered cars, it is so quiet!
I can compare directly with my two noisy TVRs, a Tuscan Convertible & Sagaris.
They both are looking stunning, at least in my eyes, but if you are driving them hard, they are noisy like hell.
I am considering to sell them maybe, also depending upon my experience with my Tesla Roadster I bought just recently.
But for your enjoyment, I want to share the pictures of my 2 TVRs.
Have a nice weekend!

Attachments

• 4FA6DB06-4D71-45EC-A80D-0917B9C5B858.jpeg
    4FA6DB06-4D71-45EC-A80D-0917B9C5B858.jpeg
    216.7 KB · Views: 25
  • E57E160D-13A6-43E9-A751-939C7A4BBDBE.jpeg
    E57E160D-13A6-43E9-A751-939C7A4BBDBE.jpeg
    396.9 KB · Views: 24

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
depending upon my experience with my Tesla Roadster I bought just recently.
I didn't know the Tesla Roadster is out now? :eek:
It must be unbelievably incredible :cool:
Please don't sell the TVRs if you don't have to.
They are pieces of history AND art

Reactions: infinitely baffled

mr-particle

Dec 20, 2012
Germany
I didn't know the Tesla Roadster is out now? :eek:
It must be unbelievably incredible :cool:
Please don't sell the TVRs if you don't have to.
They are pieces of history AND art
Hi Christoph,
My Tesla Roadster is the old model, in my case from 2011.
The TVRs are worth the trouble to hold them - I agree completely.
TVRs like the Tuscan or T440 are in their design something very special!
Axel

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
Ok, here goes.
Mini 1380 hmm--649 cam I'd presume? -tad lumpy I'd think down low? fun in the Forests though!
E30 Cecotto-- fast and fun I'd say--didn't they have Group A engines--I recall they needed be rebuilt after 20ks!

Nice selection you have owned
Fun times
BruceD

Reactions: Sablon Audio

Sablon Audio

May 22, 2015
Mini 1380 hmm--649 cam I'd presume? -tad lumpy I'd think down low? fun in the Forests though!
E30 Cecotto-- fast and fun I'd say--didn't they have Group A engines--I recall they needed be rebuilt after 20ks!

Nice selection you have owned
Fun times
BruceD
Hi Bruce, thanks - you've had a nice list also. A friend once had an Alpine 750i - very smooth engine that piled on the speed.

Not sure of the cam in the Mini as it was bought ready built but it wasn't too bad low down. The M3 certainly was a group A homologation special, with ITBs and circuit gearing. IIRC it used the same s10 block as the Megatron F1 car which kicked out 1500bhp in qualifying spec running 60psi of boost and some toxic toluene fuel. That likely needed rebuilding every 200km!

Reactions: BruceD

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
First car madza 323 no money

Best fun and sounding car
Golf Gti mk I 1800er 2 ×45 weber carburetor, schrick camshaft 276°
and supersprint exhaust
BMW M5 ( e60)V 10 sounds like formula 1 car with eisenmann exhaust at 8200rpm
Drifting queen you don't make friends in the neighborhood with the exhaust no more allowed in germany no tüv

My true love GTR R 32 and my downfall, today I would have been smarter, would have left it in its original condition, has become very expensive. too many hours of work too much frustration for a few hours of driving pleasure.

Best daily car :vw passat tdi 4 motion 400000km no failure.

Today daily bmw 1er 120d diesel complete modified bigger turbo charger exhaust cooling package 305HP/560Nm torque 20221029_155620.jpg

Next fun car for nice sunny days
Lce audi sport quattro replika
That was my favorites over years ,that I like to remember.

Last edited:

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
MiniCooper S 1275 731 Cam Red/Black Roof Minilites
Porsche 911E Mustard /Cookie Cutters
Porsche 911S Red /Waldegard Mods( Titanium Rods /etc/etc)
BMW 635CSI Black
Mercedes AMG 500 Midnight Blue /BBSwheels
BMW750i- age demanded the change;)

And the finest of them all and the one I regretted selling --stupidity was always my downfall:mad:
1990 BMW E30 M3 Evo II --converted to RH Drive by Birds UK chipped up to 253 BHP
The venerable of the time Pocket Rocket so safe and stable corners or just flat out--the Ultimate Drivers car.

Those were the days-enjoy

BruceD
Gorgeous car bmw m3 e30...30 years ago german dtm race series i love it so much. today priceless lucky guy.
Some scenes??

Reactions: infinitely baffled

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
my first car i drove was my Dad's 1960 Desoto. big wings, with a 413 with cross ram intake manifold and push button shifting. a stormer. fastest car at my High School which i proved a few times.
my first car that i owned was a 61' Triumph TR3B in 1969. a knuckle dragger. owned it for 6 weeks and then it got stolen, never recovered. still have the title.
my favorite early car i owned was a 66' Jag XKE 4.2 convertible with covered headlights. i rebuilt the engine. then met my wife, got married, sold the Jag, and got in the car business, that was in 1974.

since then been involved in selling about 3000 new and used cars a year x 48 years so far. loved them all.....when they sold. so 144,000 cars.

in 2016 i did buy a Porsche 991 CS2 and owned it for 18 months. scratched that itch. amazing car. if i did buy another toy/trophy car again it would be a 911. if i don't buy a boat when i retire i could see maybe a GT3 might be nice.

Last edited:

Sablon Audio

May 22, 2015
A question to all the people whom have modified their cars - was it worth the effort?

I have rather reached the conclusion that it is better to buy the right car in the first place and just do a couple of tweaks like a remap / geo rather than spend too much time and money on wholesale rebuilding far beyond the factory spec, especially since aftermarket parts are often less thoroughly developed than one might have hoped for. If I were to get another hot hatch, then it might be something like the new FL5 Type R which has had all the nice stuff fitted at the factory.

Reactions: Holli82

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
I have a long history of cars I have owned, some for daily work & live, but the majority for fun or just to own them.
What has changed after this long row of (fun) cars, like Porsche or Ferraris, is, that I am now enjoy very much an EV, a Polestar 2.
What ever one might think about EVs, wether they are good or bad
for the environment, but this car has an amazing acceleration and in contrast to gasoline powered cars, it is so quiet!
I can compare directly with my two noisy TVRs, a Tuscan Convertible & Sagaris.
They both are looking stunning, at least in my eyes, but if you are driving them hard, they are noisy like hell.
I am considering to sell them maybe, also depending upon my experience with my Tesla Roadster I bought just recently.
But for your enjoyment, I want to share the pictures of my 2 TVRs.
Have a nice weekend!
The Sagaris makes me weak at the knees. What a machine!

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
First car madza 323 no money

Best fun and sounding car
Golf Gti mk I 1800er 2 ×45 weber carburetor, schrick camshaft 276°
and supersprint exhaust
BMW M5 ( e60)V 10 sounds like formula 1 car with eisenmann exhaust at 8200rpm
Drifting queen you don't make friends in the neighborhood with the exhaust no more allowed in germany no tüv

My true love GTR R 32 and my downfall, today I would have been smarter, would have left it in its original condition, has become very expensive. too many hours of work too much frustration for a few hours of driving pleasure.

Best daily car :vw passat tdi 4 motion 400000km no failure.

Today daily bmw 1er 120d diesel complete modified bigger turbo charger exhaust cooling package 305HP/560Nm torque View attachment 99605

Next fun car for nice sunny days
Lce audi sport quattro replika
That was my favorites over years ,that I like to remember.
Oh that M5 sounds incredible!

Fishfood

VIP/Donor
Jul 11, 2020
Toyota Land Cruisers. A bunch of them, until gas hit $5 per gallon during some crisis where the oil companies take advantage of us all with no repercussions.

I learned that if I bought a new Prius (in 2008) and kept it for 10 years, the Land Cruiser as the down payment plus gas savings would pay for the car.

Recently got on the Subaru bandwagon and found out that a light 4-wheel drive can go anywhere! I spent the winter in Montana running circles around big 4-wheelers.

Dream car has always been a 1995 Porsche 911, last year of the air-cooled. Or an Austin Bugeye Sprite.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing