The cars you have loved, or are in love with. Tell us your car history and what each one taught you

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
If you didn’t drive Trabant you actually have no idea what proper car is :p
IMG_6845.jpeg

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
  • Love
Reactions: Golum

Dogberry

Aug 24, 2022
I've only loved one car, and I've had it for 32 years. Whilst one of the most easily modified cars around, mine is mostly stock, with a few cosmetic changes to the gauge cluster, steering wheel, along with new wheels, a replaced soft top and a re-paint. It seems to me that there's a lot more fun in driving a stock car hard, then driving an over-powered one carefully!

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
I've only loved one car, and I've had it for 32 years. Whilst one of the most easily modified cars around, mine is mostly stock, with a few cosmetic changes to the gauge cluster, steering wheel, along with new wheels, a replaced soft top and a re-paint. It seems to me that there's a lot more fun in driving a stock car hard, then driving an over-powered one carefully!

Been telling to my kids for years now - “when i kick you out of the house I’m buying Mazda Miata for myself and wife to cruise around alone”
Just love it!

Last edited:
Reactions: Ron Resnick

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Hm….hope not

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018

32 years of pleasure. Wow!!! Sometime I wish high end audio were as pure and simple as the original Miata!
The modern day Emma Peel of the Avengers car, the Lotus Elan S4. I'm thinking of buying a new Miata Sport version, perhaps the last of the stick shift models for myself.
Elan-S4.jpg

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
32 years of pleasure. Wow!!! Sometime I wish high end audio were as pure and simple as the original Miata!
The modern day Emma Peel of the Avengers car, the Lotus Elan S4. I'm thinking of buying a new Miata Sport version, perhaps the last of the stick shift models for myself.
View attachment 116880
Golum, why wait until the kids are gone:)

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Golum, why wait until the kids are gone:)
I don't have an option to keep two cars unfortunately :( . Otherwise second one would be MX5

Reactions: gleeds

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
I don't have an option to keep two cars unfortunately :( . Otherwise second one would be MX5
Aren't you way too tall for the MX5?
I had problems to turn the steering wheel because my legs where constantly in touch with the steering wheel...

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Aren't you way too tall for the MX5?
I had problems to turn the steering wheel because my legs where constantly in touch with the steering wheel...
i would say you are a tad taller then I am. I don't know, I tested the version before this current one or maybe it was the current one and I was OK with the space and sitting position. Not at the SUV level but still OK. But it was a great fun.
On another note my family (me excluding) is driving all kind of Mazda cars for the last 30 years and I have to say very honestly that there were literally 0 (zero) issues with them. Unbelievable reliability...

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
i would say you are a tad taller then I am. I don't know, I tested the version before this current one or maybe it was the current one and I was OK with the space and sitting position. Not at the SUV level but still OK. But it was a great fun.
On another note my family (me excluding) is driving all kind of Mazda cars for the last 30 years and I have to say very honestly that there were literally 0 (zero) issues with them. Unbelievable reliability...
I thought you were a tad taller than me :eek:
Japanese cars are famous for their reliability :cool:

• Haha
Reactions: Golum

Slingblade

Jan 24, 2024
East Coast
Here's a brief history of some memorable cars of mine...

'94 RX-7 - my first true sports car. Absolutely fabulous when running correctly, which was rare for me. Still one of the most beautiful cars ever IMO. The relationship was short-lived...
Screenshot 2024-03-07 at 8.54.56 AM.png

94 Supra - Having learned my lesson with fragile/finicky drivetrains, I went to the other end of the spectrum. Bulletproof turbocharged inline 6/6-speed manual with a huge turbo = lots of fun. I still own this. It's as comfortable on the road course as it its the drag strip. I will likely keep this forever as my son will kill me if I sold it.

Screenshot 2024-03-07 at 9.02.42 AM.png

'23 Lexus LC 500 - A recent add but checks many boxes for us. Ridiculously high build quality (typical Lexus), intoxicating V8 exhaust noises, and a breathtaking interior which pampers you in luxury. Every drive is an event with this automobile.
Screenshot 2024-03-07 at 1.04.55 PM.png Screenshot 2024-03-07 at 12.58.50 PM.png

Cars I will always lust over...

Screenshot 2024-03-07 at 1.10.26 PM.png
Screenshot 2024-03-07 at 1.11.43 PM.png
Screenshot 2024-03-07 at 1.12.51 PM.png

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany

'94 RX-7 - my first true sports car. Absolutely fabulous when running correctly, which was rare for me. Still one of the most beautiful cars ever IMO. The relationship was short-lived...
View attachment 126545

94 Supra - Having learned my lesson with fragile/finicky drivetrains, I went to the other end of the spectrum. Bulletproof turbocharged inline 6/6-speed manual with a huge turbo = lots of fun. I still own this. It's as comfortable on the road course as it its the drag strip. I will likely keep this forever as my son will kill me if I sold it.

View attachment 126547

'23 Lexus LC 500 - A recent add but checks many boxes for us. Ridiculously high build quality (typical Lexus), intoxicating V8 exhaust noises, and a breathtaking interior which pampers you in luxury. Every drive is an event with this automobile.
View attachment 126560 View attachment 126561

View attachment 126562
View attachment 126563
View attachment 126564
One best sounding V8 ever lexus with amytrix exhaust...goosebumps from start to ignation off. In germany strictly forbidden today
armytrix-stainless-steel-valvetronic-exhaust-lexus-lc500-lxlc5-c_740x.jpg

P.S
a priceless LFA v10 Lexus is really f 1 race car sound. a different league

Last edited:

Dogberry

Aug 24, 2022
It will be Miata season again soon. For those in the know, I have a "cursed plug" to install and some "unicorn tears" as well. Hoping for a smooth and enjoyable top-down summer, my 33rd with her.

Reactions: infinitely baffled

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany

View attachment 126545

View attachment 126547

View attachment 126560 View attachment 126561

View attachment 126562
View attachment 126563
View attachment 126564
Your RX7 a 13 b orginal engine or bridge ported? Up 20/26b 4 rotor brap..brap sound:p700HP

Slingblade

Jan 24, 2024
East Coast
Your RX7 a 13 b orginal engine or bridge ported? Up 20/26b 4 rotor brap..brap sound:p
It was a street ported 13b with a Greddy T78 single turbo, IC, Stand-alone ECU and a few other goodies. I didn't realize how small it was until I sat in another one recently - it's not much more spacious than the Miata!

My car was very similar to your Vid - black 94 R2 on white TE37's. :)

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
It was a street ported 13b with a Greddy T78 single turbo, IC, Stand-alone ECU and a few other goodies. I didn't realize how small it was until I sat in another one recently - it's not much more spacious than the Miata!

sounds like a lot of fun. a beautiful car

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
A few friends are currently helping me set up a Golf GTI Mark One 16V with an single throttle suction system. My youth car is being revived again. Its not fast but ihope its sounds emotional like that ~175Hp at 8200rpm 850kg weight.

Preview engine 10-010-027-VW-ABF.jpg [/MEDIA]

Last edited:

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland

Love me sum te37's

Reactions: Slingblade

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing