The Carnival of Venice - Julian Lupu & Zena

Hear Here

Feb 14, 2020
Portsmouth, UK
Thanks for that. I was familiar with this little ditty as it was used as the signature tune (played on a trumpet) for a UK TV series featuring an eccentric steeplejack and demolition contractor, but I had no idea of its title. Then in the late 80s while driving across some desert in Arizona and listening to the radio, I heard the entire piece played on a violin. How so many totally different sounds can be produced from just 4 little strings I couldn't imagine.
The recording by Salvatore Accardo was out of print so I eventually tracked down an LP held at a local library in London and recorded it on tape until it was re-released on CD. Found on Qubuz under Paganini Works for Violin and Orchestra. No doubt there are many other violin versions equally good, but this old HMV recording is still pretty astonishing.

Reactions: BayHalt

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing