XACT S1. The music server you've been waiting for

Filipposm

Sep 25, 2023
Greece
With the S1 and a 6k DAC you are in the same price range as the Nyquist MKII.......curious about SQ in comparison :cool:

Matt
So you haven’t compare streaming directly to the Nyquist vs streaming with Xact? If you do please give an update, it would be really helpful. I am looking for a streamer/server and would really like to know what this will bring to the table.

Best,

Filippos

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
So you haven’t compare streaming directly to the Nyquist vs streaming with Xact? If you do please give an update, it would be really helpful. I am looking for a streamer/server and would really like to know what this will bring to the table.
Sorry, I am not @t.arni (Thomas) you directed your post to.

Matt

fast.freight

Jul 30, 2022
Last NIght I ran a second ethernet line to my system so I could have both the Grimm MU1 and the XACT S1 servers connected at the same time. Grimm running Roon and The S1 running JPLAY. Since the S1 uses USB, and the Grimm likes AES, I had both connected to my Mola Mola Tambaqui and could A/B compare easily without moving off the couch.

I selected 'Liberty' as my wife and i are very familiar with this amazing track.

I secretly played the S1 first. It has a wide open soundstage, tons of resolution, but it is the airyness as mentioned above that envelops you in a 3d 'feeling'. The background is dead quiet, and the sax is so breathy. Notes hang in the air.
Switching to the Grimm, the whole soundstage collapsed. Don't get me wrong, the Grimm MU1 is great. But the S1 is magical. Quiet, Airy, 3d,
Spacious, Enveloping. A palpable connection in the chest. The bass is not louder, it is better. The midrange is so sweet, and the top end resolution is sparkling with no fatigue. The S1 takes off all the harsh edges.

l_santista

Aug 5, 2023
Hi, can it play upsampling via HQPlayer? Sorry Im not familiar with Jplay, Id like to understand in case it cant use HQP if that is a JPlay limitation (does it have it's own upsampling engine, maybe a competitor?) or is it XACT´s limitation but not having say, an embedded license?

Tks in advance

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
Hi, can it play upsampling via HQPlayer? Sorry Im not familiar with Jplay, Id like to understand in case it cant use HQP if that is a JPlay limitation (does it have it's own upsampling engine, maybe a competitor?) or is it XACT´s limitation but not having say, an embedded license?

Tks in advance
The developer mentioned on another forum:

"Technically, HQPlayer and Roon can work on XACT S1, but I made a decision not to support these players. XACT S1 is driven by JPLAY all the way and I expect it will stay that way."

Matt

l_santista

Aug 5, 2023
The developer mentioned on another forum:

"Technically, HQPlayer and Roon can work on XACT S1, but I made a decision not to support these players. XACT S1 is driven by JPLAY all the way and I expect it will stay that way."

Matt
Tks! I heard great things about Jplay anyway, will research further at some point

Vangelis

Oct 11, 2011
Is the XACT S1 available in the US? Anyone know the cost in dollars?

Vangelis

Oct 11, 2011

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
If that is with VAT, it could be an attractive price here in the states
When you try to order they show a total price of 12k EUR charged by CC, so it should be with VAT.
Maybe @Marcin_gps can clarify?

Matt

Marcin_gps

VIP Donor/Industry Expert
Jun 24, 2015
jcat.eu

Marcin_gps

VIP Donor/Industry Expert
Jun 24, 2015
jcat.eu
New JPLAY iOS App Update Brings TIDAL MAX Integration!

tidalmax.jpg JPLAY_TidalMAX.jpg

Hey everyone,

The latest JPLAY app update (version 1.0.14) has just rolled out, and it's a game-changer – we now have TIDAL MAX integration!

For those who are keen on high-fidelity audio, TIDAL MAX is a real treat. It delivers audio quality up to 24-bit, 192 kHz, which is a step up even from TIDAL Master.

If you're looking to take your music experience to the next level, make sure to update your JPLAY app to the latest version. It's available now in the App Store for devices running iOS, iPadOS, and MacOS (M1 CPU or later). Here’s the link to get it: https://apps.apple.com/pl/app/jplay/id1608773457

The JPLAY iOS app is free for all XACT S1 users.

Best regards,
Marcin

Mentanalyste

Jun 12, 2020
Hello everyone,

A bit of a long post in order to explode the cornelian choice of the XACT versus a solution using Roon in an audiophile spirit, i.e. with a high level of SQ.

In my thinking, what I explain for the XACT is true for all high-end audiophile servers whose aim is to deliver ultimate audio quality.

However, the XACT is my preference because of positive feedback from JCAT and JPLAY products. I have a DIY audio server (USB and Network EX card + JCAT Optimo 3 Duo audio power supply, fanless audio motherboard, etc.). I was able to compare my configuration with the famous GRIMM AUDIO MU1. And I had an identical SQ, if not a little more qualitative.

My conclusion is that Marcin does a good job, and I'm not the only one to think so.

Hence my interest in the XACT S1, but the absence of ROON is blocking me.

However, I've looked at all the constraints and I've come to a conclusion that finally goes Marcin's way.

I wanted to share my analysis with you so that you could discuss and challenge it.

For us audiophiles, the absence of Roon is a critical issue, given the value this product brings in terms of the ultimate home audio solution. It goes beyond "audiophile" use to be deployed throughout the home, and now with ARC mobile access makes Roon unavoidable in my eyes.

For me, the positive attributes of Roon that make it a must-have are as follows:
1. Best user experience on the market
2. Incredible exploration tool to discover music that suits you. There's no doubt that this is the most important feature for me. I was able to discover many artists and tracks, increasing my passion even more.
3. Single interface for the house. Everyone accesses it with pleasure and simplicity.
4. Profile management to integrate family members, each with their own tastes
5. Multiroom, multidevice broadcasts.
6. Circonvolution to "master" acoustics (not my game, but why not).
7. And finally, ROON ARC for profile-compliant mobile broadcasting.

Only the SQ doesn't meet the audiophile community's objectives. Only a few products, such as the GRIMM AUDIO MU1, have worked closely with the ROON team to combine their player with an interesting SQ. HQ Player is also integrated into ROON. But my DIY Server, which uses JPLAY and JCAT products, does just as well as GRIMM AUDIO MU1, following A/B testing at home.

What ROON lacks is an open and standardized API (programming interface) dedicated to the PLAYER, so that third-party publishers can integrate their own players. Until this is achieved, I think Marcin's choice is justified in proposing a specific platform with an ultimate SQ perspective.

If ROON opens up and standardizes the API for the player, I think Marcin will find a solution to offer a version of JPLAY integrated with ROON. And thus offer, for example, an XACT server dedicated to the ROON player, as he is currently doing by transforming the XACT into an audiophile Switch.

I could imagine an ultimate XACT with 4 units, including one large and 3 miniaturized:
- One unit for the power supply, with an internal 3-unit power supply that noiselessly supplies the other 3 units
- A miniature switch unit
- A miniature unit for the XACT JPLAY player
- A miniature unit for the ROON JPLAY player

This bundle would feature a "low energy" mode to run ROON 24/7. And an SQ mode to run the rest when needed.

This architecture, which separates the power supply from the player, is already implemented on Innuos Statement and Aurender N30SA.

While waiting for this "hypothetical" opening of the ROON player, the solution for me is to mix a low-energy ROON server with an audiophile Streamer server such as XACT. ROON is used on a daily basis, and XACT for listening to specific tracks with a high level of SQ.

As mentioned above, in my opinion there's an advantage to having two servers (Roon and XACT), and that's the energy-saving part. Indeed, a Roon that is always open 24/7, ready for home use or mobility with ARC, should have a very low energy footprint.

In conclusion, I'd go for the following configuration:
- ROON Server: the NAS from QNAP, the TBS-h574TX-i5-16G with an Intel® Core™ i5-1340PE, with 32 TB in SSD. A NAS with the family's data and my audio files in RAID 5.
a) Power consumption: 46w
b) Yearly: (24 hours X 365 days) / 1000 = 8.76 kWh
c) Running cost per year (in France): 8.76 *0.2 = 2 euros per year.
- SQ Streaming Server: XACT S1
a) Power consumption: ??? no idea (Marcin?)

With this configuration, I have the best of both worlds, while waiting for ROON to open up its API PLAYER for an eventual XACT version dedicated to ROON with a low energy footprint.

Regards,

Dream: The XACT Statment with Power supply and 3 dedicated unites on the top : JPLAY, SWITCH and ROON ;-)
The XACT statment.png

Last edited:

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
I think Marcin will find a solution to offer a version of JPLAY integrated with ROON
I really hope this will never happen :cool:
Sorry, I completely disagree with your post.

Reactions: Armsan

Mentanalyste

Jun 12, 2020
I really hope this will never happen :cool:
Sorry, I completely disagree with your post.
Hi Mathias,

Please, can you explain your position?

the idea is to challenge all this. So if you answer without explaining, we won't grow ;-)

Thanks again

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
@Mentanalyste
Only a short remark since we are at the border of being OT.

All great server manufacturers try to overcome the SQ limitations of Roon with their own software.
So do Taiko, Antipodes and Marcin also with JPLAY for iOS.
Personally I dislike Roon and will never buy a Roon based server.

Reactions: Armsan

Mentanalyste

Jun 12, 2020
@Mentanalyste
Only a short remark since we are at the border of being OT.

All great server manufacturers try to overcome the SQ limitations of Roon with their own software.
So do Taiko, Antipodes and Marcin also with JPLAY for iOS.
Personally I dislike Roon and will never buy a Roon based server.
Ok, that's clearer.

Thanks for your reply.

I think it's important to develop your ideas because your first answer implied that you weren't aligned with the whole message.

In fact, and I understand your position, you're focused on the SQ and nothing else. So Roon is not an option.

I share this same position. I'm looking for the best SQ like all audiophiles. But I would complement this usage by using Roon for needs other than SQ.

The main question is about complementarity, not substitution.

Taiko and Grimm Audio are working on this aspect of complementarity with the best SQ.

And while we await the possible complementarity of a future XACT (which will certainly never come), we must :
1. Either choose a product that offers it (Grimm Audio or Taiko)
2. Or mount two solutions yourself because your want to use XACT (my point of view).

I have a Mola Mola TAMBAQUI DAC (Roon Ready), which allows me to install this combination:
- Roon via the network port
- XACT via USB port

For the Roon combination, there are other possible scenarios: Instead of using a NAS containing Roon with audio output via network, I could go through a NUC with Roon+Jplay, on an I??S over HDMI output. This would preserve a level of SQ with ROON.

Rather than customers breaking their backs assembling solutions on their own, I think there's value in working on servers that combine both worlds.

So, to clarify, my post is intended for people who target XACT and use ROON to share the best approach for this combination.

Reactions: Young Skywalker

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing