The best Dipoles, Dipoles that can do bass?

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
That's really jolly kind of you, thank you.
I'm on the Scottish Border.

What would you say are the disadvantages of the Apogee sound - philosophy?

Just seen this, sorry!

Procuring then is hard, and may involve very long build times, though I think Henk is reasonably quick. Jon is slower, but the construction quality Jon achieves is excellent. You have to pay more than a standard refurbishment price for that, though.

Original Apogees simply were not that well made, and done to low tolerances. Very definitely not an advert for American engineering excellence. You can bypass that, though, by beefing up the frames to make an ultra rigid speaker, by getting brand new thicker covers made, using silly expensive boutique capacitors/resistors/inductors in external custom made crossovers, using Graz's improved ribbons, massively better made stands etc etc the list is considerable.

If you go to Graz in Australia, he can build you something with insane specifications. I would recommend you at least talk to him. The bill will be very high, though.

Well spec'd Apogees are brutally honest. They won't flatter bad recordings. And because they are insanely quick in terms of transient response and replaying music with mad amounts of resolution, they can be overbearing/overwhelming. If you don't mind thinking WTF? a lot they might be in your speaker consideration list.

They are probably better with electronic music that any other genre, where they can replay bass with speed/balls/extension and very high levels of articulation. However, Duettas have SPL limitations for very heavy bass modulated tracks. But what is available is mesmerising and provides a wall of bass type presentation. Divas, Full Range and Grand can go louder.

I wouldn't touch the Grand personally, as I don't like the design much. Full Range is what I'd like to do next. I probably never will, but hey, I might when I move house. My current house is quite large but simply does not have an appropriate Full Range sized room available. Oddly the one I owned before this one did. Bummer!:D

gilles13

Dec 17, 2015
south of France
I love my apogee caliper that I bought in 1991 .I built my system around them with tweeks , entreq boxes...and I listen only classical music on vinyl, mainly voices...

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
Gobel are definitely on the shortlist
Of the others Emerald Physics are the only one i am aware of.

I must admit I've also strayed into looking at horns
The Aries Cerat system looks very interesting, i feel a road trip coming on once their UK installation is finalised.
I've also rekindled my interest in Rey Audio Kinoshita Monitors.
I'm advised by Shozo Kinoshita that the RM7-VC prefers a slightly larger room than my current space, he advises 8.5m length whereas i have 7.2m, so ive asked if the RM6-VC is the way forward.

I'm still ruminating on the big Apogee Grands as suggested by Ked, and have taken onboard the view that Tannoy Westminster Royals not as dynamic as the Apogees, to my surprise

Just an aside about Gobel:

32089692_10217088035781952_6671082404037263360_n-2.jpg

He is introducing the new Divine at Munich, which I have never heard, but is going all out with CH and Kronos. These are NOT the ones I have or have ordered, LOL.

I currently am using BendingWave's demo Epoque Aeon Fine, the little "cheap" one until their USA studio is ready or mine come in, whichever comes first. I had them in my system before Axpona and they have returned safely and can say, these are very very special speakers. I have no idea how they compare to the previous Fine, but these Aeons are seamless, totally disappear and just fantastic. I have them pretty much setup where I want them, will need to make a few changes to the room (not much) compared to my Nola Concert Grands but can say, these "little" Gobels fill my big room with incredible sound. I have no issue recommending these and yes they will kick ass on rock, punk or anything you throw at it and your amp will distort before these guys. They will also play the subtlest of subtle as well as anything I have ever heard. Their detail is not edgy in the least and so natural to be ephemeral.

Needless to say, I put my money where my mouth is and went with a pair. Silver and where the white is on the picture, mine will be Ferrari red for a small price??

epo fin_white_new_72dpi.jpg

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Goebel Aeon Ref are very good. Gonna be interesting to hear the Divin, it is part of the reason I am going to Munich this year.

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
Goebel Aeon Ref are very good. Gonna be interesting to hear the Divin, it is part of the reason I am going to Munich this year.

I can't wait to hear from those going how these sound. I can't even imagine. Those seats look pretty close to the Divine and I hope that is distortion of the lens or I fear for the tympanic membranes (and other body parts) for those who sit that close.

Have you heard the Aeon Ref? Elliot of Bending Wave here in the states, hasn't yet opened up his Ref (he is still waiting for his studio to be finished), so I have only heard and "have" the Aeon Fine; at least his demo, until mine are done. Ref is out of my price range so I don't even want to bother plus my soon to occur move precludes me from getting another huge speaker. I guess I should use the term "big" for the Ref as the Divine I guess defines HUGE.

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Yes of course. More than once in different years at Munich.

I have heard yours too, again more than once, and I have to say do NOT go and hear the Ref. STAY AWAY!:)

I shot this at last year's Munich. Expensive rig with subs too. Very nice.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I have heard those big Goebbels, not sure of the model, with CH and kronos and zyx at Munich last year. Sat in the sweet spot for 30 mins or more playing my LPs. Extremely good

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
Yes of course. More than once in different years at Munich.

I have heard yours too, again more than once, and I have to say do NOT go and hear the Ref. STAY AWAY!:)

I shot this at last year's Munich. Expensive rig with subs too. Very nice.

Yeah the REF are just too expensive for me. I will have to "suffer" with the small guys. His subs are out of site in terms of $$. Haven't heard them though.

By the way, the Aeons are "new" so I don't think you have heard the Aeon as they were "first" introduced in my house (lucky me) and first public display in Axpona but first real introduction is this year's Munich so I will be very interested at how you think these compare to the "older" ones you heard in years past.

Looking forward to your opinion.

Howie

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Yeah I was suspecting I had missed something. They appear to look similar at any rate.

I'm sure they'll be fine and relatively good show performers, definitely in the top quartile.

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
I can't wait to hear from those going how these sound. I can't even imagine. Those seats look pretty close to the Divine and I hope that is distortion of the lens or I fear for the tympanic membranes (and other body parts) for those who sit that close.

Have you heard the Aeon Ref? Elliot of Bending Wave here in the states, hasn't yet opened up his Ref (he is still waiting for his studio to be finished), so I have only heard and "have" the Aeon Fine; at least his demo, until mine are done. Ref is out of my price range so I don't even want to bother plus my soon to occur move precludes me from getting another huge speaker. I guess I should use the term "big" for the Ref as the Divine I guess defines HUGE.

Glad you dropped by, Howie :)

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
I think I've made my decision

Not strictly a dipole...

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
I think they're going to work really well with the Wavac 833's i have my heart SET on

If you'll forgive the pun

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
Oh dear is that the time?
I guess we'll pick this up tomorrow :)

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
Because i have to do the deal today, and there's many a slip, twixt cup and lip

But i certainly didnt mean to upset anyone.
And my routine was more Benny Hill than cloak and dagger

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
At the risk of nixing a nascent deal,
here's what i am approaching:

pnoe-speaker-about.jpg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing