The Alexia's are HERE!

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Been listening to them for about an hour. I think I have a handle on it. If anyone has Wilsons on a hardwood floor, they are a must have. I don't know how they perform on carpet, but if this is any indication, it's a no-brainer!
All the difference I hear is from about 500Hz and down. I can't tell any difference above that. What I can tell you it sounds like the speaker is more coherent, acting as one. The bass.... oh the bass. The bass is more solid with tighter transients. It also feels like the bass driver has moved forward in the sound field.... now like I said, more integrated with the upper drivers. Not that I had a complaint before, but it gives the last 1% difference. Also like kick drum, sound like it's higher off the floor. You can clearly hear different elements of the bass. Kick drum, bass guitar, toms have their own space now. Each bass note/tone is more clearly delineated.
I'd say it gave the Alexia's about a 3-4% advantage if I had to put it on a scale.
I've used other footers and sometimes I thought it sounded better, maybe not, but with these, there is clearly a difference that you can hear AND feel.

View attachment 9749

Congrats! Glad to hear it...was most curious to read your thoughts given how well your room must already be designed and set up. My room has a lot of vibration through the wood on concrete for some reason, and i really am pleased with them under my X1s.

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
Hardwood under what? Cement, suspended floor?
In my room, with a hardwood floor over a suspended sub floor, the Ultra SS's were horrible. Muddy bass, lost dynamics, lost image.
Are your Stillpoint screwed in tight to the speakers or loose as recommended?

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Hardwood under what? Cement, suspended floor?

it's sorta a suspended floor. it's a floating floor on a Kinetics Noise Control KIP system. So... from top down is:

3/4" maple engineered flooring
1/4" rigid fiberglass
3/4" marine grade plywood
green glue
3/4" marine grade plywood turned 90 degrees
Kinetics Noise Control KIP system
vapor barrier
cement

Stillpoints have about a 1/16 - 3/32" gap

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
it's sorta a suspended floor. it's a floating floor on a Kinetics Noise Control KIP system. So... from top down is:

3/4" maple engineered flooring
1/4" rigid fiberglass
3/4" marine grade plywood
green glue
3/4" marine grade plywood turned 90 degrees
Kinetics Noise Control KIP system
vapor barrier
cement

Dude! That is awesome!

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
How are the walls constructed?

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
How are the walls constructed?

To begin with, it's a room within a room. The inner wall is 2x6 engineered lumber. Everything is glued and screwed.

2x6 with Roxul insulation
ASC damped Resilient channel
3/4" drywall
green glue
3/4" drywall turned 90 degrees
2" 703
fabric

I have a thread on most of the construction HERE

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
New updated photo....

Wilson-Pass-Transparent.jpg

I have Vicoustic diffusors coming in this week as well.

Lildebs888

May 12, 2011
Grantsville, Utah
www.facebook.com

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
OPUS !!!!???

You dog. :)

theguesswho

Feb 25, 2012
Connecticut
Hi Bruce, you said two months ago, "This is probably the hardest part... that last 2-3%. I know getting it perfecially flat is not going to happen, but at least get it as linear as possible without any major dips/peaks. I do have some flexibility in my listening position and I've already decided to put 2 subs in here and maybe a good EQ system. Now I just have to find them!
I know the subs can take care of the dip at 62Hz and maybe smooth out the response a little more up to 200Hz. We'll see. My only other concern is the 1300Hz null which I might be able to fix by moving my listening position".

Anything new going on? Any new measurements? How is the system sounding? Have the speakers continued to break in? Did you ever figure out what the blue line is for?
I still have not used REW. I thinks its too complicated and as my system sounds so good as it is, I am not particularly worried.
Thanks,
Wendell

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
Anything new going on? Any new measurements? How is the system sounding? Have the speakers continued to break in? Did you ever figure out what the blue line is for?
I still have not used REW. I thinks its too complicated and as my system sounds so good as it is, I am not particularly worried.
Thanks,
Wendell

First, the easy part. The blue line is a line you can move around to determine freq and amplitude without having to calculate it in your head.
Second, the dealer has been out here 3 times to tweak the system and also add Stillpoints. The last time I shot the room I was +/- 5dB from 18Hz - 500Hz. That's damn good in my book, so doesn't look like I'll be needing any subs.
The only concern I have is from 8k - 20k. The slope is steeper than I'd want it. That is easily fixed by changing resistors in the back of the speaker. This is because the high freq. tend to fall off quicker for every doubling of distance.
I'm thinking is sounds just about as good as it can get. With the addition of the X-30 and the Opus MM2 cables, the last 2-3%% have been tackled!

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
MM2 for sure!

I thought you had got two turtles ....

Congratulations - IMHO and limited experience they are the best cables for Wilson speakers, better than my XL MM2 by a significant margin. Still regretting loosing an used pair at a great price for a few days ...

theguesswho

Feb 25, 2012
Connecticut
Hi Bruce, Excellent! Thanks for the heads up on the blue line. +/- 5db sounds good. I am not a fan of subs, so in my book you are better off without them. They always sound out of synch with real music.
Do you have the mdat of your last response that you can post for us? Do you feel that pursuing REW would be worth the trouble for me? It seems as if you really didn't get much out of it, am I wrong with that statement? If so what were the benefits of using REW?
I am glad you are happy with your new speakers, without mucking them up with subs or EQ.
Thanks,
Wendell

theguesswho

Feb 25, 2012
Connecticut
HI Guys, the reason I am skeptical of this measuring thing is several fold. First the biggest problem I see is just the fact that moving the measurement mic a couple of inches to a foot and you have a completely different measured response. How can one eq that? And that assumes one wants to use an Eq in the first place, no real audiophiles that I know of want to spoil the purity and essence of their system with an equalizer. Of course you do see home theater enthusiasts using Eq but thats a different story as they are rarely looking for sound quality, just big boom boom.
Also most people who tune their system use the best tool there is, their ears. This is what Bruce has done ( by knowledgable professionals) and it worked for him as well as several others here on WBF.

I quote below from a thread on which a member had his system voiced by Peter Smith, a professional tuner with a great book and he writes....

"I should mention that - out of the over 700 systems I've voiced - for the evaluation session, I rarely ever perform any measurements (maybe 10% of the time), preferring to determine the areas of difficulty by ear on actual recordings that I bring with me.
I can perform measurements if something is especially challenging, but rarely need to do so. As an example (as MadFloyd can attest), no measurements were taken until the beginning of the voicing session.
I would not expect to perform measurements of edorr's set-up during the initial evaluation, although you never know."

Also evident is that my system sounds great with response to below 20hz, tuned by ear!

And last but not least we all know the folly of buying equipment based on measurements!

But I do still find the measuring thing interesting none the less.

Wendell,

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
What i got out of REW is a better understanding of acoustics. It is a tool that is to be used in conjunction with other tools... like your ears. I started using this software with a speaker that had orders of magnitude :rolleyes: of adjustments and wasn't getting any help from the manufacturer. I wanted to better understand what I was hearing coincided with what I was seeing on the graphs. I've read books, forums and so many manuals, that I wanted to start understanding how rooms interact with sources and how best to work with what I had. I went into this venture hoping to limit my cash outlay and do this on my own. My objectives are totally different from the everyday audiophile. If I make a .5dB adjustment at 125Hz, I want to make damn sure it's because the music needs it and not because of some deficiency in my room/equipment. I also have my head/seat in a pretty fixed position at my mastering console, so I don't need a large sweet spot. I've spent 6x$ on a room build. Bob Hodas got almost a dead flat tracing with my previous speakers, so I know the room could do it.
REW has helped me tremendously and would encourage anyone that wants to get that last 2-3% out of your system to download it and get a decent calibrated mic.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing