The $2500 System Challenge-

All new:

Magnepan MMG ($600)
Outlaw Audio Model 2200 monoblocks ($700) <- these are on sale in pairs sometimes, so you could get them less than that. I believe Barry Diament uses them as his reference amps even with his Maggie 3.7
Prometheus Audio TVC preamp ($390)

Leaves you with around $700 for source and cables, once you pay for shipping on the Maggies. Go with whatever floats your boat here within budget. I have owned the above three components at one point.

All new:

Magnepan MMG ($600)
Outlaw Audio Model 2200 monoblocks ($700) <- these are on sale in pairs sometimes, so you could get them less than that. I believe Barry Diament uses them as his reference amps even with his Maggie 3.7

Leaves you with around $700 for source and cables, once you pay for shipping on the Maggies. Go with whatever floats your boat here within budget. I have owned the above three components at one point.

Always wanted to hear the MMG's....but obviously the are only sold direct.

IIRC they are the subject of a free trial. Now with bass.

Last edited:
Vintage dorm rock n roll:

Refurb Roberts R to R with glass heads, contains phono input, built in 6 watt single ended, tube rectified el84 tube amps, 3 3/4 and 7 1/2 tape deck, $300-400 in mint condition, maybe less.

Sony PS X70 vintage turntable with Shure V15 cartridge variant $500

Used Pioneer 47ai DVD, plays SACD both 2 channel and multi channel and hi res, $220

Used Klipsch Heresy speakers 96 db efficiient $350

Used Mac Mini with HDMI as digital server with used Yamaha receiver with HDMI as DAC, $500-600.

Hook into Roberts tube phono and source inputs. You have R to R tape deck, turntable, digital server, receiver/dac, disc player comes in at than 2Kish. I have heard all of these, sound great, will play well, loud and dynamic. Use Yamaha receiver for headphones and/or alternative phono input. Add small screen for computer and have a mini home theater as well, could even add surrounds.

Last edited:
All new:

Magnepan MMG ($600)

Good call on the Maggies...very good call. Magic for the money.

Bose Acoustimas! Oh yeah, baby!

Throw in a pair of Beats while you're at it!

Very interesting. I was not aware of Vanatoo previously. Have you heard them? Does the internal DAC max out at 96Khz?

Yes, I've heard them many times. We spent 3 months with a pair when my sister was reviewing them for a gamer website and print magazine. They sound far better than they have any right to be.

The DSP engine is 48kHz but the DAC is 96kHz.

Attachments

• A-216.jpg
    A-216.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 500
  • Jungson Hedo Cd player.jpg
    Jungson Hedo Cd player.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 900
  • Jungson Hedo integrated amplifier.jpg
    Jungson Hedo integrated amplifier.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 694
Last edited:
-- Very good showing Andre! :b ...And not only that all those components are extremely inexpensive, but they also look just plain and simple fabulous, magnificent, marvelously high-end. ...And I bet they're 'sound' too; I shure for one trust your judgement and your hearing as well. :b

-- Very good showing Andre! :b ...And not only that all those components are extremely inexpensive, but they also look just plain and simple fabulous, magnificent, marvelously high-end. ...And I bet they're 'sound' too; I shure for one trust your judgement and your hearing as well. :b

Thanks. I reviewed all the gear listed, and they do sound great together..well beyond what you would
expect for $2500.

But I must say I might be convinced now that active speaker with a DAC/pre may be more bang for the buck
and it is less boxes and cables to boot.

Yes, I've heard them many times. We spent 3 months with a pair when my sister was reviewing them for a gamer website and print magazine. They sound far better than they have any right to be.

The DSP engine is 48kHz but the DAC is 96kHz.

Thanks. Michael Lavorgna was also impressed.

Sorry i'm a panel guy so here it is, Magnepan MG-12s = $950.00
View attachment 7073

Grant Fidelity Jungson Hedo integrated amplifier & cd player = $1,467.50
http://shop.grantfidelity.com/Jungson-Hedo-Fully-Balanced-CD-Player.html

Yes i know it's made in China but I SAW - I HEARD - and i was impressed for the price.

PS: I'm sure Ian or Rachel would throw in the cables.:):):)

Thanks. I reviewed all the gear listed, and they do sound great together..well beyond what you would
expect for $2500.

But I must say I might be convinced now that active speaker with a DAC/pre may be more bang for the buck
and it is less boxes and cables to boot.

---- Andre (Andre Marc), I was referring to Andre's (MrAcoustat) own system (put together) from that first quote above. :b

I like Mr. Acoustat's plan as a fellow panel guy. :)

But how about this one...

Oppo 105 - $1,200

Emotiva Airmotiv 5 - $500

Black Cat Lectraline Silver Interconnect - $300 (1 pair, for a bit more go balanced to speakers)

Use an existing PC or Mac into Oppo 105 for hirez audio file playback.

-- I think you can do better for active speakers. :b

I haven't heard them, but they almost appear to be knock offs of the Adams, which sound very good. I'd love to hear them. But I wouldn't put a $1200 source in that system. The rate of diminishing returns in digital sources these days is steeper than the fiscal cliff. I'd put that money into a sub.

Tim

-- Tim, even with the source (multiple from the Oppo BDP-105), you still have enough money left over for a small good quality sub ($850 if the interconnects are thrown in for free).

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing