The $2500 System Challenge-

Late 70's Integrated (Marantz, Pioneer, etc) -($500 at most)
Klipsch Heresy speakers ($700)
Revolver Rebel TT ($300)
Shure M97xe Cartridge ($90)
Oppo DV980H SACD($100)
Spin-Clean ($80)
Record brush($20)
Stylus Cleaner ($40)
Equipment stand ($300)
Cables...whatever is leftover.

Oh, yeah....Vinyl! :)

Tom

Can the BMC-2 handle up to 192 Khz on all inputs? The JBL's?

BMC-2 - 192 KHz on coaxc SPDIF, 96 on Toslink input. No USB.

JBL -96 KHz.

> Also, is there remote control on the BMC-2?

No. It does have a volume control in the digital domain. I don't use the volume control for serious listening since the Audioengine A5s has a stereo volume control that I can reach from my chair.

TC Electronic developed the DICE chip based jitter reduction circuitry that Mytek and other pro DAC makers use.

Bill

BMC-2 - 192 KHz on coaxc SPDIF, 96 on Toslink input. No USB.

JBL -96 KHz.

> Also, is there remote control on the BMC-2?

No. It does have a volume control in the digital domain. I don't use the volume control for serious listening since the Audioengine A5s has a stereo volume control that I can reach from my chair.

TC Electronic developed the DICE chip based jitter reduction circuitry that Mytek and other pro DAC makers use.

Bill

Thank you Bill. Much appreciated.

BTW.. a small technical note..Toslink is indeed SPDIF as well...correct?

Thank you Bill. Much appreciated.

You're welcome, Andre.

> BTW.. a small technical note..Toslink is indeed SPDIF as well...correct?

I use the BMC-2 in my home office connected to my dedicated MusicPC and to my personal PC. Remote control isn't important in that system but it matters in my main system where I use an Emotiva XDA-1. (Another $ 300 DAC.) That DAC has a digital volume control too but I use an NHT analog volume control for gross level adjustment. In addition, I set JRiver MC to extend the audio output to 24 bits so that the DAC is truncating or dithering at bit 24 rather than bit 16.

My system:

audio system_12_25_11.jpg

Bill

Impressive system and diagram

You're welcome, Andre.

I use the BMC-2 in my home office connected to my dedicated MusicPC and to my personal PC. Remote control isn't important in that system but it matters in my main system where I use an Emotiva XDA-1. (Another $ 300 DAC.) That DAC has a digital volume control too but I use an NHT analog volume control for gross level adjustment. In addition, I set JRiver MC to extend the audio output to 24 bits so that the DAC is truncating or dithering at bit 24 rather than bit 16.

My system:

View attachment 7042

Bill

Awesome..very impressive Bill.

I am becoming a big believer in the shortest signal path...and DAC to active speaker is it.

I have some of the things in suggested systems: TC Electronics BMC-2 (used to be $ 300), Audioengine A5 and JRiver software. I'm happy with all of them.

You're being wasteful, Tim.

The JBL monitors and sub have digital inputs (and remote volume control) so you can skip the BMC-2 DAC.

Spend $ 50 on JRiver MC and $ 30 on 2 digital cables from monoprice.com and use the rest on buying music. Or buy a cheap laptop if you need one.

Bill

I should do my homework better. I didn't realize those JBLs have a built-in converter. I almost suggested what I have myself - AVi ADM monitors (mine are 9.1s, they're a couple of models down the road now), and their sub. Built-in DAC that goes all the way to 24/192, plus analog inputs, if you need them. About the same price. You don't get the digital room compensation, but you do get a more living-space friendly look and a wireless preamp remote. I enjoy mine a lot.

Tim

You're welcome, Andre.

My system:

View attachment 7042

Bill

You very nearly became my hero :). Lost a couple of points for the "powered" but not truly active Audio Engines, but gained a lot for the active 3-way system. What's the brand/model of the six channel amp?

Tim

just because its low cost , does not mean it has to look bad

my lovely little dared VP-300B 3 box monos with psu

my stirling ls3/5a have almost the same wood finish

my $2500 desktop system ( Looks great as well )

Pc with dsd/flac/wav
Dac mytek dsd 192 $1500
Amp dared vp-300b 9wpc 300b monoblocks $ 500 2nd hand
speakers sterling broadcast ls3/5a $ 600 2nd hand

i have heard worse $20k systems than this little system

Attachments

• daredVP300b.jpg
    daredVP300b.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 164
Last edited:
You very nearly became my hero :).

Being your hero could be dangerous on some audio forums.

> Lost a couple of points for the "powered" but not truly active Audio Engines, but gained a lot for the active 3-way system.

The Audioengine A5s cost $ 350. At that price level, is doubling the number of amp channels an inevitable design decision?

When the A5s expire (they are 5 years old now), I'll be looking for replacements at the $ 1000-2000 level. An amp channel per driver seems a sensible requirement at that level.

> What's the brand/model of the six channel amp?

At present, I use a Rotel 1077 class-D amp. I still have an ATI 1806 amp (class A-B) which generates a ton of heat. Practical issues like that (and room geometry and furnishings) effect my choices as much as sound quality.

The JBLs do have multiple inputs and a wireless remote that controls volume and choice of input. Since JBL has a solid presence in the USA, I saw them as having similar virtues to the AVI speakers you use and a better prospect for auditioning and long term support.

(Andre Marc)
> I am becoming a big believer in the shortest signal path...and DAC to active speaker is it.

Fewer boxes plugged in and connected together gives me better results than the usual many boxes audiophile equipment stack.

There are some companies getting creative in packing functions together but most of the traditional high-end companies seem absent from that party.

(Daytona600)
> i have heard worse $20k systems than this little system

Me too. I find it far more interesting to see what you can get for a little money than what costs $ 100,000+.

Bill

Hello, Bill. IME, just because a system costs 100K or even more does not mean that it will sound good. There is so much more to building and designing a system than cost.

Tom

I like this - $2,500 is a great budget and you could build a great dual-source system. Reminds me of the day I was in university in London and I had 1000 pounds to buy a system for myself.

Here's what I'd get today:
Stanton turntable with digital output ($600): http://www.guitarcenter.com/Stanton-STR8-150-Digital-Turntable-102813003-i1155532.gc
Oppo BDP-103 ($500): http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-103/
Vanatoo active speakers ($500): http://www.vanatoo.com/
Rythmik F12 Servo Subwoofer ($750): http://www.rythmikaudio.com/F12.html

No preamp needed as the Vanatoo can take digital input from the turntable and analog input from the Oppo. Presumably the Oppo would have a better DAC. The Vanatoo also has the DSP and subwoofer output to drive the subwoofer!

I like this - $2,500 is a great budget and you could build a great dual-source system. Reminds me of the day I was in university in London and I had 1000 pounds to buy a system for myself.

Here's what I'd get today:
Stanton turntable with digital output ($600): http://www.guitarcenter.com/Stanton-STR8-150-Digital-Turntable-102813003-i1155532.gc
Oppo BDP-103 ($500): http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-103/
Vanatoo active speakers ($500): http://www.vanatoo.com/
Rythmik F12 Servo Subwoofer ($750): http://www.rythmikaudio.com/F12.html

No preamp needed as the Vanatoo can take digital input from the turntable and analog input from the Oppo. Presumably the Oppo would have a better DAC. The Vanatoo also has the DSP and subwoofer output to drive the subwoofer!

Very interesting. I was not aware of Vanatoo previously. Have you heard them? Does the internal DAC max out at 96Khz?

High-res stereo audio/high-def video system with DAC & Headphone amp.

1. Speakers & Amp: Audioengine 5+ Active => $399/pair.
2. Sources & Preamp & DAC & Headphone Amp/Preamp: Oppo BDP-105 => $1,199

TotaL: $1,598

>With the $902 left over, use your imagination and buy what you consider most important for YOU.
...Like high-res audio files for one, or the stands of your choice if you prefer (but building them is more fun and cheaper too), or some SACDs, and/or your preferred interconnects & speaker wires (KK for example). ...Or a high-quality Sub; like from REL for example.

Last edited:
Being your hero could be dangerous on some audio forums.

> Lost a couple of points for the "powered" but not truly active Audio Engines, but gained a lot for the active 3-way system.

The Audioengine A5s cost $ 350. At that price level, is doubling the number of amp channels an inevitable design decision?

When the A5s expire (they are 5 years old now), I'll be looking for replacements at the $ 1000-2000 level. An amp channel per driver seems a sensible requirement at that level.

> What's the brand/model of the six channel amp?

At present, I use a Rotel 1077 class-D amp. I still have an ATI 1806 amp (class A-B) which generates a ton of heat. Practical issues like that (and room geometry and furnishings) effect my choices as much as sound quality.

The JBLs do have multiple inputs and a wireless remote that controls volume and choice of input. Since JBL has a solid presence in the USA, I saw them as having similar virtues to the AVI speakers you use and a better prospect for auditioning and long term support.

(Andre Marc)
> I am becoming a big believer in the shortest signal path...and DAC to active speaker is it.

Fewer boxes plugged in and connected together gives me better results than the usual many boxes audiophile equipment stack.

There are some companies getting creative in packing functions together but most of the traditional high-end companies seem absent from that party.

(Daytona600)
> i have heard worse $20k systems than this little system

Me too. I find it far more interesting to see what you can get for a little money than what costs $ 100,000+.

Bill

I think it's dangerous on this one. Yeah, $350 is low, but have you ever heard Behringer Truths? Fully active, stupid cheap and good. Ugly though. No WAF at all.

Tim

I think it's dangerous on this one. Yeah, $350 is low, but have you ever heard Behringer Truths? Fully active, stupid cheap and good. Ugly though. No WAF at all.

Tim

Have a pair of B1030-A's... for the price...stupid cheap and good indeed! :)

but have you ever heard Behringer Truths? Fully active, stupid cheap and good. Ugly though. No WAF at all.

I have not heard them. I don't know whether they were available ~5 years ago when I decided on the Audioengine A5s. I have read some negative reports about reliability which concerns me a bit.

WAF is less of a concern in our home office.

Bill

I have heard Dynaudio monitors and Neumann KH120s. The Neumanns sounded like a good step up from the A5s.

Bill

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing