TechDAS Air Force Zero (real final photo)

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
The Vyger does make coffee Jack.

And yes, I don't like the Wilsons, the vox, the dCS stack, so you chose the ones I don't like. You did not mention the high priced ones I did like, including the General's LPs.

Regarding tweaks, ok to spend on fun as long as we know it's fun. Problem is when we spend on cake and liquor and tell ourselves it is healthy, that is spend on such gear and convince ourselves it is for sonics.

No need to rant. You can say you like it and I can say I don't. People can voice their opinions on gear and others can look at alternatives

Last edited:

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Some more info I received today from Motofumi Hirata at Stella Inc

Motofumi Hirata <hirata@zephyrn.com>
Attachments
1:38 AM (4 hours ago)

to Motofumi

Dear All,

We are happy to inform you that the Air Force Zero was finally unveiled
in Tokyo last Saturday 16th.

The launch was a great success and we have had extremely positive
feedback.

As you may have seen, several articles on the event have been already
posted on the internet. For your reference, we would like to offer
yet-to-be-released snap shots of the Zero while we are creating and
providing professional studio photography later. Please feel free to
download and use them from the link below:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/pmzxa57aqm1o81u/AADsLbWyiqfZW10MZdMrJdFia?dl=0

Also we are now translating the product brochure we handed over at the
event into English. For now, please have a look at the attached file of
the Air Force Zero specifications.

Please stay tuned for further updates on TechDAS Air Force Zero.

Best regards,

Motofumi

Motofumi Hirata
e-mail: hirata@zephyrn.com
Stella Inc.
http://www.techdas.jp
https://www.facebook.com/techdas
http://stella-inc.com
http://www.facebook.com/StellaInc.Site
51-10, Nakamarucho, Itabashi-ku
Tokyo 173-0026 JAPAN
tel: +81-3-3958-9333
fax: +81-3-3958-9322

Attachments area

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
The Vyger does make coffee Jack.

And yes, I don't like the wamm, the vox, the dCS stack, so you chose the ones I don't like. You did not mention the high priced ones I did like, including the General's LPs.

Regarding tweaks, ok to spend on fun as long as we know it's fun. Problem is when we spend on cake and liquor and tell ourselves it is healthy, that is spend on such gear and convince ourselves it is for sonics

You can like what you like Ked. I wasn't even thinking of what you like or don't like. Mainly because I don't really follow you much. Yeah, add expensive rare LPs to the list of things people think we are all crazy for jacking prices up on ebay. Oh and your edit is truly funny. I am frustrated but not angry.

Stevie, it's just getting frustrating as I just told Ked. You go online to share and you get whacked. Now you know why everytime I sit to complete my system page, I have so little motivation. I'm begging our friends here to just look at the big picture and to realize that they are all in it too. Maybe along the way realize that while they think they are being cool, the back chatter is quite the opposite.

I'm off now. I know things won't change but I'm pretty sure the time out will be good for me. I will be back. Hopefully as my usually cheerful self.

TLi

May 27, 2016
Great photo, Steve. Thanks. Does anyone know if both arm slots will accept both 9" and 12" arms. The AF1 can only take a certain size in one location.
The arm slots on AF0 can accommodate any arm from 9 to 12 in. It just need to cut the right arm board.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Jack, your rant isn't one really, and yr sentiment is understood. But my argument remains. Vyger is right at the bleeding edge as well, SOTA air bearings on LT arm, and biaxial air bearing to platter, aeronautics grade motor, bling on Warp Factor Nine, and yet is wildly more affordable than the Zero.

I've just read a fantastic piece on Singer in US taking donor Porshe 911s from the glory days of 70s and 80s, and reimagining them for up to $1.8m a pop. The money is out there.

Re my lonely furrow on Zu and TransFi, this stuff gets little attention here because of it's total lack of bling and snob factor.

Jack, you know how Eera is also up against it this way too.

Steve Williams

Jack, your rant isn't one really, and yr sentiment is understood. But my argument remains. Vyger is right at the bleeding edge as well, SOTA air bearings on LT arm, and biaxial air bearing to platter, aeronautics grade motor, bling on Warp Factor Nine, and yet is wildly more affordable than the Zero.

I've just read a fantastic piece on Singer in US taking donor Porshe 911s from the glory days of 70s and 80s, and reimagining them for up to $1.8m a pop. The money is out there.

Re my lonely furrow on Zu and TransFi, this stuff gets little attention here because of it's total lack of bling and snob factor.

Jack, you know how Eera is also up against it this way too.

Marc

I think you're talking to deaf ears now

Having been to Manila and visited Jack, his brother Jim, Sam (mullard 88), Philip (jadis) and Jerry I can tell you that there is no lack of world class systems in Manila and Jack's comments rang true for me. There are many in Manila who I wouldn't be surprised to see an AF Zero in their systems. One is a for sure as IIRC the first firm order for the Zero came from Manila and the other is a "maybe for sure"

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Steve, me and Jack are good. He was a critical part of me going w what I still consider the best digital I've ever heard, the Eera at $13k (Steve, mention our Tentation to Albert Von Schweikert, he'll wax lyrical). I will always be grateful to him for that.

And unlike guys like Greg who was let off the leash to bash anyone immune to CS Footers, Jack is a very considered guy w his counterarguments.

The best thing about the AF0 is the tech that will trickle down to the AF1 (maybe the AF1.5?).

But I'm afraid if you guys think that prices like $450k for the AF0, $50k for the SAT, $350k for the Relentless, $70k for the Troy NG, $700k for the Chronosonics, $120k for 3 box MSB, etc isn't going to get a certain kind of feedback, well...

As has been said before, this isn't the Audio Exotics Forum where all is fawned over, the next new thing sooo trounces the last old thing, and people commenting would never hint at anything even marginally skeptically.

Last edited:

Steve Williams

The best thing about the AF0 is the tech that will trickle down to the AF1 (maybe the AF1.5?).
FWIW There is already an AF 1.5 that was a one off made by TechDas for one of my friends from Manila. It will never be made again AFAIK ;)

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Ok.
Maybe AF 1.75 or 1.25 LOL.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Jack, thank you for your thoughtful post. And certainly you’ve never come across to me as anything but kind and generous on WBF. I hope you don’t stop posting here.

I think it’s more that some of us want to know what truly justifies a $500k spinner- 4x the price of the AF1. Even when compared to the WAMM it’s tough. Hence my question on tech and the response was a multi metal platter and some new air bladder control.

I also think it would have been way cooler for Nishikawasan to create a killer $10k TT as his swan song to the “masses” vs this monstrosity which only caters to the uber rich Hifi market. But that’s the market these days- sell 10 of these vs thousands to regular audiophiles. TechDAS cheapest TT is what 40k? The average Stereophile readers entire system is less than $25k.

So it’s not that I’m not excited about sweet new, and often expensive gear- it’s just a sad reflection on our shrinking hobby. When we have $25k interconnects, $10k power cords, $15k cartridges, et al it’s just become stupidity to some of us. And it’s certainly not a single product or brand.

And many of the same audiophiles you say are saving their $ are the ones who require 30%+ off list and hence another reason MSRPs have exploded. Not to mention many of the same guys are the cheapest and go around dealers, etc while poo-pooing the lack of them and the “industry”. They get better deals than the rest of us simply because of the $ involved and manufacturers don’t care.

I hope the AF0 is truly a technological marvel and look forward to reading Fremers review- but it’s not unhealthy to have a little skepticism.

Cheers!

audioquattr

VIP/Donor
Sep 7, 2016
Netherlands
Nobody knows.

As for the yachts I'd venture to guess that of the 50 that might go for the Zero or of whatever number of Apolytes will be made, an extremely small, if any, fraction could afford to buy, berth, man and fuel a luxury yacht even if life on the seas is their ultimate passion. I know my buyer can't but I do know he'll be happy if he does pull the trigger because he'd done his due diligence. Still, while he can afford it, he isn't stupid. He will first need to sell off his existing tables to make it all work. Unless we're talking drug lords, warlords and such, money is still hard earned. The assumption that people who want these products are stupid IS frankly, stupid. Like us normal folks, they prioritize and save. There's a reason they get paid what they do. They have skills that are high in demand and short in supply. There is a reason they have the disposable income too. They spend wisely not on idiocy like drugs, women and gambling.

So many judge products on looks. You just keep on taking pot shots Marc starting with the unfinished shots. The Vyger I've been told is a great table and I for one would like to hear one. I've said it. I saw the Apolyte in HK and the looks turned me off. I've said it here too. Pictures alone and I find that the Zero which is smaller I still find Brutalist in looks. One guy says the AFs look feminine. Fine. The Vyger looks like an espresso machine to me. I sure hope that is fine with him too. What does all this matter anyway? Buy what best you can afford and be happy. For the nth time. Only the insecure should complain. There ARE many good products available to us we can both enjoy and afford. Most expensive is not what is best. What is best is what we can really be happy with irregardless of price or looks.

Have I ever in all these years said anything remotely bad about affordable gear? I'm onne of the few here that takes the time to help members find 50 dollar off-amazon solutions for their systems. I don't discriminate perhaps because I come from a place where my counntrymen are discriminated against all over the world. For years I've been following your ZU journey. I've seen people rag on you. I've enjoyed watching you bring out the best in them being happy you're happy. Happiest that in some small ways I've given you a reco or two to help even so slightly on your journey as I have for countless members here. Yet you and others see high prices and go to town. I may not be in Zero level but don't forget, in the eyes of non audiophiles, we are ALL crazy here. 50k for an arm? How about 30k for an amp? 300 USD for a tube? Thousands on mooks, stillpoints, CS'. Nobody has any right to make fun of anybody else here. We are all the same. Price is just a number. Value is as personal and thus as unassailable as tastes.

This is not pointed directly at you and you alone my friend. I post here less and less because people think it is cool to put others down when they go through the very same efforts and prejudgement themselves.

Thank God, I'm no longer a moderator here.

Rant over. I'm taking an effing time out from this site.

This is the only reply i like in this topic. I fully agree with all you said here Jack.
You are allways respectfull Jack. And that is what i am missing here completely in this topic by most.

Do we really think such an extreme turntable is designed only for the most wealthy who don't know what to do with their money?
So it doesn't metter how it sound?
I think this is designed and develloped as a life work from a man and his team with a whole life of experience to create the best possible in their experience. And i have a lot of respect for that!

I am not questioning if this will be the best of all. I think all top designers have their own way of thinking and their own experience to create the thing they do. I don't think it is priced silly, because there is no need to buy it. There is "zero" chance (allright maybe 0.1%) i will buy this turntable.
From the same company there are geat turntables for 10% of the price. Even for 5%. Offcourse their could be better alternatives. But it's nonsense (to me) to say TechDas is not sounding good or can't enjoy the sound, than you have a problem with your hearing. What we prefer is another thing AND also very personal. We not all like red...

I have posted allmost nothing the last few weeks because i got tired of reading from some people who know all things better (and better than designers/manufacturers) without hearing anything or just listening for an hour in other than their own systems. And for "sure" know this is bad and that is bad. And just 0.1% is good, the rest is not worth listening it seems....

After i readed this topic today i thought to stop reading here for a while ...

Steve Williams

This is the only reply i like in this topic. I fully agree with all you said here Jack.
You are allways respectfull Jack. And that is what i am missing here completely in this topic by most.

Do we really think such an extreme turntable is designed only for the most wealthy who don't know what to do with their money?
So it doesn't metter how it sound?
I think this is designed and develloped as a life work from a man and his team with a whole life of experience to create the best possible in their experience. And i have a lot of respect for that!

I am not questioning if this will be the best of all. I think all top designers have their own way of thinking and their own experience to create the thing they do. I don't think it is priced silly, because there is no need to buy it. There is "zero" chance (allright maybe 0.1%) i will buy this turntable.
From the same company there are geat turntables for 10% of the price. Even for 5%. Offcourse their could be better alternatives. But it's nonsense (to me) to say TechDas is not sounding good or can't enjoy the sound, than you have a problem with your hearing. What we prefer is another thing AND also very personal. We not all like red...

I have posted allmost nothing the last few weeks because i got tired of reading from some people who know all things better (and better than designers/manufacturers) without hearing anything or just listening for an hour in other than their own systems. And for "sure" know this is bad and that is bad. And just 0.1% is good, the rest is not worth listening it seems....

After i readed this topic today i thought to stop reading here for a while ...

I couldn't have said it any better than you or Jack

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I guess there was an equally incredulous response when the Continuum was released a decade ago at $100k plus.

In the grand scheme of things, is it felt that it's engineering and design choices justified that pricetag?

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Value in luxury goods is in the eye of the beholder. If I had $150K, I'd buy a AS-2000 over a Porsche G3 in a heart beat. All of my non-audiophile friends would think I was crazy.

I bet the Air Force will sound wonderful at any price point.

Reactions: asiufy

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing