Techdas Air Force III vs. 5 Premium

999cuts

Mar 25, 2021
Hello everyone.
I've been reading here for quite a while now but this is my first post.
I wanted to ask for your opinion on this matter.
Basically i have the aporrunity to purchase a 2nd hand Air Force III at the same price as a new Air Force V Premium.
I only heard the III's once and loved what i heard.
Any input on the differences between them will be much appreciated.

Thanks for your help!

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
basically airforce V premium is like airforce III minus seperate motor which performs better than airforce V’s.
so I would say go for the airforce III or wait and buy airforce III premium when the opportunity arises. airforce III premium is much better than regular one.

999cuts

Mar 25, 2021
Thank you.
I won't be able to afford the new AF3 P.
And it will probably take some time until a unit will find it's way to the second hand market.
I wasn't sure if the AFV P had some advantages over the standard AF3.
If i understand correctly from what you saying it does not.
So i might just go for the AF3!

Last edited:

Minnesotafats

Aug 26, 2020
I would mimic what @metmur says above. I had an AF III and I am getting an AFIII P shortly. I would pay the same for a good condition AF III second hand versus and AFV P.

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
AF3P is the way to go :)

Dvuc

Apr 28, 2013
For my ears - AF-3P is the best sounding TechDAS model. I have not heard zero of course .. Ha!

Reactions: shakti

Minnesotafats

Aug 26, 2020
Thank you.
And it will probably take some time until a unit will find it's way to the second hand market.
The AF5 premium is a step up from the original AF 5 with respect to the base. The new base is milled from a block vs the old AF 5 which was assembled. So the AF5 premium is closer to the AF 3 but I still think the external motor of the AF 3 will give you a better outcome than the AF 5 p. I have not listened to the AF 5 p.

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
I do use AF3P and AFVP in parallel,
AFVP is very fast to speed up and to stop, very much close to a direct drive.
AF3P is slow in speed up and stop the platter.

If you are a fast and often record changer, AFVP is more convenient.

Reactions: Minnesotafats

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
For my ears - AF-3P is the best sounding TechDAS model. I have not heard zero of course .. Ha!
With all due respect, how did you come to that conclusion? Where there any variables between the tt models (tonearm, cartridge, etc.) or different systems and how did you account for that? Same question for shatki in Post No. 5.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ron Resnick

Rdk777

Jul 9, 2019
I do use AF3P and AFVP in parallel,
AFVP is very fast to speed up and to stop, very much close to a direct drive.
AF3P is slow in speed up and stop the platter.

Juergen

What can you say about the sound quality of the 3P vs the 5P? Is it significant? What about the bass response?

Thanks.

RK

Rdk777

Jul 9, 2019
Thank you.
Let us know which direction you end up going.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA

This is an interesting opinion. How would you describe the sound of the different tables?

Do you think it has to do with the air bladders/suspension in the AF1 and AF2 causing a slightly more damped/less lively sound? Do those bigger tables have blacker backgrounds and more contrast?

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
I don't believe anyone can objectively (use whatever parameters you wish) determine the nuances in this price range. As with all things musical, it is totally subjective.

I did ask Dvuc and shatki to offer the basis for their opinion and how they were formed given all the variables. I don't expect an answer.

Reactions: Vienna

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I don't believe anyone can objectively (use whatever parameters you wish) determine the nuances in this price range. As with all things musical, it is totally subjective.

I did ask Dvuc and shatki to offer the basis for their opinion and how they were formed given all the variables. I don't expect an answer.

It would surprise me if the designer did not fully understand the sonic consequences of the design decisions he is making when developing his different turntables. The effects of different materials and suspension, for example, seem pretty well understood. I would be interested in hearing how people experienced with the different TechDAS turntables in the same contexts would describe how they sound relative to each other. It the design is similar but just more mass, that would have a predictable result. I suspect that adding isolation and what type or changing the platter material would have predictable consequences, especially in the hands of an experienced designer.

Experienced users should also be able to associate design decisions to sonic results, at least in many cases.

I think this question has answers.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lee

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
you don’t have to stop AF3P everytime you change the record. you can do it while it’s spinning. actually that’s what my friends are doing.
I installed one AF2P, four AF3P and two AF5P together with top class arms such as SAT, Acoustical Systems, TechDas and Thales.
both 3P and 5P sound good but 3P is better on all aspects. both are great tables but consider getting a vibration platform like minus -k.

Reactions: aangen

djsina2

May 30, 2019
I don’t think a manufacturer would make their cheaper product sound better than their more expensive product. Call me crazy.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I don’t think a manufacturer would make their cheaper product sound better than their more expensive product. Call me crazy.

Don't be afraid. I have experience with the AF1P and the AF3 (not P) . You are not crazy ... ;)

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I have not directly compared the various TechDAS turntables, but I have heard the AF3 and the AF1 in different settings. There are reports of people preferring the AF2 to the AF1. Also people preferring Magico S5II to the more expensive M2 or M3. Some people prefer the sound of the Lyra Aetna to Atlas. More expensive models are not every time the preferred sonic choice.

People may well also prefer the extra available arm positions on the AF3P and the sonic results because it does not have the air bladder isolation/suspension as do the more expensive models. If Dvuc prefers the AF3P to AF1 and AF2, I take him at his word. Perhaps he can describe why he prefers that model.

Some people prefer the sound of the Micro Seiki SX 8000II without the expensive optional air bladder isolation platform.

Reactions: CoGT3

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I have not directly compared the various TechDAS turntables, but I have heard the AF3 and the AF1 in different settings. There are reports of people preferring the AF2 to the AF1. Also people preferring Magico S5II to the more expensive M2 or M3. Some people prefer the sound of the Lyra Aetna to Atlas. More expensive models are not every time the preferred sonic choice.

People may well also prefer the extra available arm positions on the AF3P and the sonic results because it does not have the air bladder isolation/suspension as do the more expensive models. If Dvuc prefers the AF3P to AF1 and AF2, I take him at his word. Perhaps he can describe why he prefers that model.

Some people prefer the sound of the Micro Seiki SX 8000II without the expensive optional air bladder isolation platform.

Exactly Peter, people can prefer anything and report on it. Personally I only valuate direct reports, not indirect claims. And then it is nice to know why they subjectively or objectively prefer it. Some people are lucky - they prefer the less expensive. I am unfortunate - I have found that most of the time I would prefer the more expensive - just bough a very expensive USB card ... :oops:

My reference is the master tape type of sound of the Studer A80, that feeling of stability and of listening less vinyl artifacts or coloration - it is why I valuate highly the TechDas AF1P with the vacuum system and its heavy clamp. Or top digital ...

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Exactly Peter, people can prefer anything and report on it. Personally I only valuate direct reports, not indirect claims. And then it is nice to know why they subjectively or objectively prefer it. Some people are lucky - they prefer the less expensive. I am unfortunate - I have found that most of the time I would prefer the more expensive - just bough a very expensive USB card ... :oops:

My reference is the master tape type of sound of the Studer A80, that feeling of stability and of listening less vinyl artifacts or coloration - it is why I valuate highly the TechDas AF1P with the vacuum system and its heavy clamp. Or top digital ...

Glad we agree on something Fransisco. I listened to the AF1 twice. I’m not sure if it was the premium model or not. Some claim the difference is not very big. I know what you mean by its sound. I found it very silent with very black backgrounds. It reminded me a lot of CD actually. So I think I know where you are coming from. The table has a very distinct sonic Signature.

There are two well-known formerly very active members here who have that table.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing