Tas ml 53

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Sort of the opposite Robert Harley's review?

I find very limiting that, as it seems from the review, the test of amplifiers with such price and power was carried with a pair of small PMC Fact8 speakers having a tweeter and two 5-1/4" woofers costing almost one tenth of the price of the amplifiers. We will have to wait for Amir opinions!

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Thanks for posting the review Dave. I had not yet seen it.

We have tested our ML 53s on everything from $500 speakers to $65,000 JBL Everest and everything in between. I am left with two constant impressions:

1. Bass. It is quite a step up from any other amp we have tried including the ML 532 reference at 400 watts/ch. It is effortless power. The review says the bass doesn't bring attention to itself. I think it actually does in that it is immediately noticeable as being more of it there. Perhaps he means it is not exaggerated. I am not sure objectively how an amplifier can have exaggerated bass. Perhaps it is the better control of the driver that gives him this impression. Other amps have a looser and less controlled bass compared to 53.

2. No limit to power. With the others, I can turn up and as we approach their limit, the sound strains and quality drops. It is the least amount with the 532 reference. But with 53, I can't reach that limit. You can keep going louder. Reminds me of what a boat salesman said when I asked him how safe the boat was that we were looking at. He said, "you will get scared before the boat does!" :) By the same token, you will get scared of the dynamics before the amp stops producing power.

Tonally, the amp sounds very transparent and flat. But I have to say, this is a subjective assessment that I can't assume to be as reliable as the above observation. It does however match the reviewer's assessment.

So overall, I would say that in general, I find the review to agree with my own views of this amplifier. If you need effortless power, incredible build quality, ability to drive any speaker you ever own, and have a few spare dollars :D, the 53 should be on your short list. The cost is really its main drawback.

mauidan

Member Sponsor
Aug 2, 2010
Pukalani, HI
Amir,

I haven't heard the 53s, but having tried the 700 watt/ch TBs on my S3s, I understand effortless power thing.

Dan

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing