Taralabs grandmaster evolution: new top of the line cables from Taralabs

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
Here are the latest comments of Michael Fremer regarding the Taralabs evolution cables:
"The front-end gear was connected with both Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 7 and TARA Labs Zero Evolution. The Platinum Eclipse is, as I previously wrote, the company's best cable, but the new, finally flexible Zero Evolution takes the sound to another level of liquidity, transparency, and limitless high-frequency extension. If you're going to buy a $32,000 preamplifier, don't skimp on cables! Or at least don't skimp on the time required to try a few different brands."

Please keep in mind that Michael is not using the Taralabs top of the line grandmaster evolution cables that I am playing with but the new Taralabs zero evolution line.

Last edited:

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
A few members have asked me to put some pictures of the Taralabs grandmaster evolution cables on this forum. See hereby.
Grand Master Ev 002_web.jpg Grandmaster.jpg

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Is that the XLR cable on the lower pic ?

If the RCA version is same size, then the number of components that have the RCAs spaced apart enough, would be very limited.

Sammy T

Aug 30, 2012
Wow... Looks like these IC cables would need some kind of support on the connector ends.

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
Pictures made with a Nikon D700 camera of the Taralabs grandmaster loudspeaker cables, grandmaster rca ic and the HFX boxes. Two additional pictures will follow shortly.

DSC_2956.jpg DSC_2957.jpg DSC_2958.jpg DSC_2959.jpg DSC_2960.jpg

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
The diameter is so big, that not only will that put a great stress on RCA and XLR connectors, but will make connecting balanced cables a nightmare. If the XLR connectors do not align the right way (which is often the case) one will have to order IC 3ft longer to be able to bend and twist them.

Reactions: Young Skywalker

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
since we're talking about 'whats best'...my questions, Audiocrack:

1. Are you connecting the cable grounding boxes to your Troy?

2. Are you considering isolation for the grounding boxes by any chance? ;) c'mon...had to ask!!! (if I recall correctly, some parts of your flooring are poured concrete which is physically totally isolated from the rest of the flooring in the room including the parts of the floor where the speakers are...) Just was not sure if this system is on that flooring system, or its still your Genesis system.

Sammy T

Aug 30, 2012
My Tara Labs Gold IC's , your can re clock the XLR connector ends . Tara uses a very tiny Hex screw to lock down the end of the connector. Looks like you can do the same on these monsters too.

Speedskater

Sep 30, 2010
Cleveland Ohio
The diameter is so big, that not only will that put a great stress on RCA and XLR connectors, but will make connecting balanced cables a nightmare. If the XLR connectors do not align the right way (which is often the case) one will have to order IC 3ft longer to be able to bend and twist them.
Why would anyone build a large diameter XLR balanced analog interconnect cable? Even 20AWG wires will add to the manufacturing challenge.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010

my Evolution Acoustics Triple Run Speaker Cables have the same number of conductors as the TaraLabs Grandmaster Evolutions but even a larger gauge (based on 32 gauge conductors for the Tara given earlier in this thread). in the picture below you can see these speaker cables as well as the Evolution Acoustics Triple Run power cables. the issue with cables this thick is getting the length exactly correct for the installation. they simply will not bend hardly at all. you can see how the ends of the Evolution Acoustics cables are terminated with long more flexible ends. to get my speaker cables to stay in place I have to use a zip-tie to hold them together (you can see if you look closely).....otherwise they will not stay in the Cardas binding posts used on my dart amps no matter how hard I screw them down.

you can also see my Evolution Acoustics BNC 'zeel' interconnects, which while 1/3rd the conductors (for both + and - ) of the Triple Run speaker and power versions (for just either + or -), are also very very stiff. I use a 1.25 meter pair of those from my digital to my preamp and they have to be fitted exactly to work. I cannot imagine a Triple Run for an interconnect without almost straight paths.....or would need to be extra long to accommodate increased radius of the bends.

oh and btw, they do sound heavenly.:D

fini-back_of_458_s_(1_of_1)_002.jpg

Last edited:

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
since we're talking about 'whats best'...my questions, Audiocrack:

1. Are you connecting the cable grounding boxes to your Troy?

2. Are you considering isolation for the grounding boxes by any chance? ;) c'mon...had to ask!!! (if I recall correctly, some parts of your flooring are poured concrete which is physically totally isolated from the rest of the flooring in the room including the parts of the floor where the speakers are...) Just was not sure if this system is on that flooring system, or its still your Genesis system.

1. Yes I am. As mentioned before I have always been intrigued by the concept grounding and Miguel's Tripoint devices have demonstrated (to my ears) without any doubt that grounding audio components is of vital importance. Not combining the grounding possibilities of the Taralabs cables with the Tripoint Troy would be a pity.
2. I might. According to Jazzhead isolating the Tripoint Troy contributies clearly to it's effectiveness. Have not yet tried this nor isolating the Taralabs grounding boxes but I am definately going to try iT. I am using the Taralabs grandmaster evolution cables in the Tidal/Zanden/Trinity setup. In the Genesis setup I have indeed isolated the speakers from all other hifi components by creating two separate floors. Have not done this in the Tidal setup.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
1. Yes I am. As mentioned before I have always been intrigued by the concept grounding and Miguel's Tripoint devices have demonstrated (to my ears) without any doubt that grounding audio components is of vital importance. Not combining the grounding possibilities of the Taralabs cables with the Tripoint Troy would be a pity.
2. I might. According to Jazzhead isolating the Tripoint Troy contributies clearly to it's effectiveness. Have not yet tried this nor isolating the Taralabs grounding boxes but I am definately going to try iT. I am using the Taralabs grandmaster evolution cables in the Tidal/Zanden/Trinity setup. In the Genesis setup I have indeed isolated the speakers from all other hifi components by creating two separate floors. Have not done this in the Tidal setup.

Great stuff...and yes, I agree with Jazzhead on isolating the Troy. I have it on an Auralex platform now, and also have mass damping on top. I have discussed all of this with Miguel who supported my findings. I use an Artesania damping plate on top with 20kg of solid brass.

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
Apparently I am not the only person who is seriously impressed with the performance of the Taralabs grandmaster evolution cables. I will add a quote that I found on Audioshark from a dealer who not only sells Taralabs cables but also cables other from other well known cable brands. Here is the quote:

"TL Grand Master Evolution ultra high end cables
Okay guys. Non-believers in the cable side of this hobby please hit the back button immediately. Last week I received Tara labs new grandmaster evolution speaker cables and interconnects. These cables are definitely at a price point that only a handful of people would consider. Just a little over 100 K for a 3 m set of speaker cables and a one and a half meter interconnect and a 1 m interconnect. Jock and Mark will be coming down tomorrow to give these cables a listen. The only thing I will say is wow. Out of respect for my other cable manufactures i do not want to go into much detail at this time But hopefully Jock and mark will give some comments and first impressions. I know this is a truly crazy amount of money for cables. But could the performance increase possibly be justified? For the people that can afford it I will say a very big yes. Please do not band me from the forum or call me names and throw rocks and sticks at me for bringing iup this topic for discussion

Design Audio Video is a dealer for:

Electronics:
Accuphase, Constellation, Pass Labs, McIntosh, Krell, Bryston, Devialet, Mark Levinson, EAR, T+A, Octave

Speakers:
Raidho, Focal, Revel, Dynaudio, JBL, Sonus Faber

Cables:
Tara Labs, Shunyata, Nordost, Straightwire, Ansuz, Transparent

Accessories:
Stillpoints, Quadraspire, Shelter, Transrotor"

Just to be clear on this (as a question was raised on the mentioned forum): I do not know this dealer and never spoke to him.

Last edited:

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
After my first post on the WBF I have been silent about the Taralabs grandmaster evolution loudspeaker and interconnect cables because I wanted to break them in and learn more about them while doing so. I believe they are more or less played in by now and after some changes to my AC I believe I am in the position to make a final jugdment. I am even more amazed and impressed now than I was at the time of my first post. These cables are so transparant and dymanic it is almost frightening. Furthermore, they present a huge soundstage, in particular the depth is unbelievable. Yesterday evening I played inter alia an old EMI recording of Shostakovich symphony no. 6/11, conducted by Paavo Berglund (beautiful recorded BTW by recording engineer Stuart Eltham), on my Forsell/Koetsu coral stone/Kondo step up/Zanden 1200 mk III (on the latter I used the special EMI curve) phono combination. The soundstage was phenomenal in depth. The stringtone was oh so sweet and at the same time the micro details in the recording were brought alive so easily and beautifully; I have never heard this recording sound so impressive before. In short, the Taralabs grandmaster cables are by far the best loudspeaker and interconnect cables I have ever experienced in my audiophile journey of more than thirty years. I urge everybody who is in the position to do so to give these Taralabs cables a listen: they are imho phenomenal.

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
Here is a quote from Stereophile's recommended components:

"TARA Labs Zero Evolution: $18,000/1m
The Zero Evolution is an all-new, physically flexible, easier to manage air-dielectric interconnect than the original Zero with†non-insulated square solid-core conductors. Because neither end of The Zero Evolution's shield is attached to ground, TARA employs the Floating Ground Station, a heavy, black box containing Ceralex, a combination of ceramic materials and metallic compounds that absorbs RFI and EMI. Switching from the original Zero to the new Evolution Zero, MF's system benefited yet further from an enormous addition of lushness, texture, and warmth, along with major extensions of air, detail, and transparency. Due to The Evolution Zero's ultrawide bandwidth, some outside transient noise can leak into the system when nearby appliances are activated. But—"I've heard nothing like it," he declares, adding "a genuine breakthrough, though hideously expensive. The TARA Labs Evolution Zero had a fast, clean, open overall sound, with airy highs and tight bass. The Evolution upgrade adds the rich, textured midrange of the Stealth Sakra, while continuing to produce faster attacks, longer sustains, and deeper decays, said MF." (Vol.29 No.12, Zero;Vol.34 No.6 WWW, Zero Gold; Vol.36 No.11, Zero Evolution)".

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
Also from the recommended components list of Stereophile but now Tara's loudspeaker cable. PLease keep in mind that this quote and the former one do not refer to the Taralabs grandmaster cable line, that is their top of the line cables.

" TARA Labs Omega Evolution: $32,000/8'
The new physically flexible TARA Labs Omega Evolution, incorporating almost twice as many rectangular, solid-core "8 Nines" oxygen-free copper elements (280 versus the Gold's 156), adds the speed, transparency, dimensionality and, especially, textural suppleness that the previous Gold cable lacked, thus losing the Gold's "somewhat laid-back overall sound," with no sonic penalty paid for the major improvements, said Mikey. (Vol.36 No.11) "

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
What I find interesting is that Michael Fremer qualifies the interconnect cables he tested as a "genuine breakthrough". The tested cables are not the Grandmaster series that according to Taralabs are clearly superior to the cables that Michael Fremer reviewed. I have not listened to and therefore have no opinion about the cables he reviewed. I already shared my feelings regarding the grandmaster series in this forum. I am curious what qualification Michael Fremer would use if he could listen to the grandmaster series.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing