Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
If you can't see Taiko wifi it sounds like the router isn't running properly? If you have a notebook or laptop, might be worth plugging in directly to the router and seeing if there's any connection. Any lights blinking on the back of the router?
my problem is I don't have an ethernet port on my iPad or MBP

oldmustang

Dec 1, 2012
Steve - you are an advanced user and don't really need any guidance. Come join me helping the people who know less about computers and networks, so the Taiko team can focus on finishing the rest of the orders :). There are many ways to skin a cat. Emile suggested going the Roon way as it will work from both - your home Wi-Fi and and the Taiko Wi-Fi. And as a bonus, we'll be able to hear the difference when switching from the home Wi-Fi to the Taiko Wi-Fi.
Thank you. I was just trying to make sure that I wasn't missing something advantageous in using the home Wi-Fi versus using the Taiko router Wi-Fi. I agree that the procedure you outline will work great for initial discovery and as a way to compare the two Wi-Fi networks.

I'm happy to help, though you are doing a great job. I wasn't trying to question your methodology, just trying to make sure I wasn't suffering a conceptual error or two.

Steve Z

Reactions: John T and cat6man

oldmustang

Dec 1, 2012
I meant to bring this up earlier but forgot -- when I was reading the Taiko router instructions it struck me that the IP address -- 192.168.100.1 -- is also the IP address StarLink uses for accessing their router's control panel (though the network address of the StarLink router is 192.168.1.1, as shown by LanScan)

Screen Shot 2023-10-02 at 4.37.27 PM.png

As a first thought I'm thinking that for my situation I might need to temporarily turn off my StarLink router while I access and set up my Taiko router, including changing the Taiko router IP address. After the Taiko router address is changed there should be no conflict with accessing the StarLink router controls. Comments?

SteveZ

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Steve, that seems like the right approach. Once you can access your Taiko router and change the IP address you should be fine.

Reactions: oldmustang

seatrope

Mar 9, 2017
I think the key here is to work from a device that is connected directly to the Taiko router. Either through taiko Wi-Fi or directly connected by Ethernet. That way you are “within” the subnet created by the Taiko router and 192.168.100.1 can only mean the Taiko router.

Reactions: joet and oldmustang

cat6man

Feb 6, 2013
west of NYC, east of SF
I meant to bring this up earlier but forgot -- when I was reading the Taiko router instructions it struck me that the IP address -- 192.168.100.1 -- is also the IP address StarLink uses for accessing their router's control panel (though the network address of the StarLink router is 192.168.1.1, as shown by LanScan)

View attachment 117631

As a first thought I'm thinking that for my situation I might need to temporarily turn off my StarLink router while I access and set up my Taiko router, including changing the Taiko router IP address. After the Taiko router address is changed there should be no conflict with accessing the StarLink router controls. Comments?

SteveZ

I hope you are up and running, but on the other hand I'd love to see if Elon is as responsive as Emile to helping you out here!

austinpop

May 23, 2017
Austin, TX

View attachment 117631

SteveZ

Oh dear, 192.168.100.1 is quite commonly used by modems. My Netgear CM-600 cable modem uses it as well. In such cases, you'll probably want to configure the Taiko router to use a different subnet.

If it were me, I would do what I always do with any new router: connect a desktop or laptop to it via wired Ethernet, making sure I am disconnected from my home network. This machine will get a DHCP address from the Taiko router. Then in a browser, login to the Taiko router's admin web UI and reconfigure it appropriately, per the Taiko router manual.

nenon

Jan 29, 2020
Chicago
If it were me, I would do what I always do with any new router: connect a desktop or laptop to it via wired Ethernet, making sure I am disconnected from my home network. This machine will get a DHCP address from the Taiko router. Then in a browser, login to the Taiko router's admin web UI and reconfigure it appropriately, per the Taiko router manual.

+1
Many laptops don't have an ethernet connection these days... You can also connect to the Taiko Wi-Fi instead of running a cable and do the same.

oldmustang

Dec 1, 2012
I hope you are up and running, but on the other hand I'd love to see if Elon is as responsive as Emile to helping you out here!
To be clear, I haven't gotten anything else from DHL other than the initial "shipping information received from Taiko" notice. No new hardware here yet.

I haven't had any reasons to contact StarLink support, nor would I consider this a StarLink problem. Elon can continue to ru(i)n X without any interruptions from me.

Steve Z

oldmustang

Dec 1, 2012
Oh dear, 192.168.100.1 is quite commonly used by modems. My Netgear CM-600 cable modem uses it as well. In such cases, you'll probably want to configure the Taiko router to use a different subnet.

Indeed, that is my plan when I receive my router and DCD.

Steve Z

oldmustang

Dec 1, 2012
+1
Many laptops don't have an ethernet connection these days... You can also connect to the Taiko Wi-Fi instead of running a cable and do the sameThat is probably the fastest and easiest way (Wi-Fi).
Wi-Fi is the easiest and doesn't require any additional parts.

If a person really needs a wired ethernet connection from an iPad or Mac laptop there are adapters for around $20 USD or less that will adapt USB or Lightning to ethernet. I have one such device for the USB-C port on my MacBookAir M2 and newer iPad. Works well.

Steve Z

Reactions: Famester

wil

Jul 22, 2015
I recommend switching to Roon before inserting the Router. Roon discovery works through the router using your home Wi-Fi. This allows you to do a comparison using your home Wi-Fi versus the Router's build in Wi-Fi.

Perhaps superfluous but XDMS will need a reboot after Router insertion to register it's new IP-address as it will be assigned a new address by the Router's DHCP server.
+1
Many laptops don't have an ethernet connection these days... You can also connect to the Taiko Wi-Fi instead of running a cable and do the same.
I use an Ethernet to usb connector for my MacBook. And an ethernet to Lightning adapter for my iPad Remote.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Steve, I know NOTHING about what you are doing. Admitted, but I have been following.

Have you tried doing a hard reset on everything (in sequence) from the modem to the router, to the.....

.....all of the way up to the source/amp?

Sometimes the simplest of things gets the Army over the hill......

Tom

Reactions: rando

oldmustang

Dec 1, 2012
a quick question is everyone connecting their DC cables in default inputs
I hadn't considered what I was going to do. I thought about trying Christiaan and Emile's preferred configuration from the post Christiaan shared with us earlier in the thread.

I know I'm going to experiment with various DCD configurations until I've run through all the combinations, so it probably would be smart to start with both in default. Though a part of me says, "Smart? Why start now?"

Steve Z

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
I hadn't considered what I was going to do. I thought about trying Christiaan and Emile's preferred configuration from the post Christiaan shared with us earlier in the thread.

I know I'm going to experiment with various DCD configurations until I've run through all the combinations, so it probably would be smart to start with both in default. Though a part of me says, "Smart? Why start now?"

Steve Z

In general I’d say start with default, then try moving the switch first, alt1 would be “cleaner” / “tighter” in general, alt2 “smoother” / “darker”. Then you can switch router/switch and see which way you prefer. Then perhaps a last round.

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
and by reset your password I mean just logging in as per this part of the instructions...

View attachment 117625

This is actually not necessary anymore as all routers have random unique passwords now, those passwords are however difficult to memorize so if you want to change them you could do it for convenience. @Christiaan Punter can you update this part of the manual?

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com

View attachment 117631

SteveZ

They will still be separate networks, what will not work is if you try to connect from the "isolated audio" network to upstream devices as it will only look in it's own network. It could also be confusing as to which devices are in which network. So indeed best to change from for example 192.168.100.xx to 192.168.101.xx which can be done in the router interface. We can assist and/or provide instructions on how to do that.

Reactions: kennyb123

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
Steve, I know NOTHING about what you are doing. Admitted, but I have been following.

Have you tried doing a hard reset on everything (in sequence) from the modem to the router, to the.....

.....all of the way up to the source/amp?

Sometimes the simplest of things gets the Army over the hill......

Tom

If you run into connectivity issues the most likely cause is that SFP network ports don't auto negotiate / automatically refresh. So if you connect your switch to the router, the Extreme NIC cannot see something has changed and it will not refresh its IP address. This is fixed by either option 1) re plugging the DAC cable between Extreme and switch, or by option 2) power cycling the switch, or by option 3) restarting the Extreme.

This is automatically accomplished if you follow the following "startup" procedure:

1) power on the router, wait till the "on" led is on and/or the network ports are blinking (indicating it's on).
2) power on the switch

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing