Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

RyanTX

Feb 15, 2023
Japan
That will be fine, the longer the length of the DC cable the more of it’s “sonic signature” it may impart and longer or shorter runs of the same cable may even sound somewhat different, but technically there is no problem with using different lengths. And you can choose a different filter combination to compensate…
Are there any brands that you’ve tested that I should look at since you guys only have 1M?

I assume the $5 one from Amazon isn’t the preferred choice…but curious to know your thoughts. The larger cable manufacturers that I checked didn’t seem to carry these.

cat6man

Feb 6, 2013
west of NYC, east of SF
What A Beast!! Soon you will be doing MRI's and Cat Scans! I imagine getting that in proper place is no easy chore?

Cool. In addition to dac/ buffer optimization, we can look forward to sound optimized for the brain structures obtained from this MRI machine.

Reactions: John T

cat6man

Feb 6, 2013
west of NYC, east of SF
Ok, I have been very good and not used my laptop or mobile browser to obsess over this thread while on vacation, so I've just now caught up with the last two weeks of posts while sitting at the gate in Heathrow.

Since impressive kit (as the Brits say) has been posted recently, here is mine. The downside is too many power cords.

Attachments

• PXL_20230730_115047280.MP.jpg
    PXL_20230730_115047280.MP.jpg
    595.8 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:

jelt2359

Nov 17, 2020
With the passive distributor what is the maximum dc cable length in and out without compromising quality?

I’m potentially looking at 4m in and 4m out on each leg… would that work? Aka total 8m on each leg

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
Are there any brands that you’ve tested that I should look at since you guys only have 1M?

I assume the $5 one from Amazon isn’t the preferred choice…but curious to know your thoughts. The larger cable manufacturers that I checked didn’t seem to carry these.

I did not test commercially available brands, I did test several types of wire. Capacitive and inductive influences are negligible, however each type of wire has a “colouration”, metallurgy, sleeving all have a sonic signature.

Reactions: Audire

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
With the passive distributor what is the maximum dc cable length in and out without compromising quality?

I’m potentially looking at 4m in and 4m out on each leg… would that work? Aka total 8m on each leg

A 4 meter length of AWG24 wire will waste about 70 mW of power on the switch and about 400mW on the router, if you go AWG18 you’re at about 18mW and 100mW. This slightly increases the power draw and perhaps noise of your DC powersupply. Both the switch and router use our GaN based regulators as pre regulators which are pretty much immune to source power supply resistance as long as this remains somewhat reasonable. The DC distributor does not care at all.

ACHiPo

Feb 22, 2015
Pleasanton, CA
I know I’m late to the party here as I was one of those black switch guys, so I only recently installed my switch and NIC. I think enough has been said, but holy smoke, I wasn’t prepared for the uptick in sound - pretty much everything sounds better! The NIC was the real surprise, maybe because I was already using a SOTM switch so I had some switch gains, but the improvement from the NIC alone felt like a component upgrade! Together the two just make beautiful music :)

From comments made, being about 5 days in, there might be a little more to burn in but regardless, once again, I’m extremely happy to be on the Taiko train.
Are your improvements heard on streaming, local files, or both?

ACHiPo

Feb 22, 2015
Pleasanton, CA

jbrrp1

Aug 3, 2020
Yep, there is no question that both streaming and local files get a nice sonic boost with the Switch + card.

Reactions: oldmustang

Backo NYC/SF

Oct 15, 2021
FWIW Emile serves as my mantra and I have followed and agreed with him on everything and understand why he makes the recommendation. However my Extreme is top shelf quality and that’s where it sits along with my TT, Tape Deck, DAC and Extreme. All sit on their own set of footers as well as their own dedicated shelf. I’m sure everyone is correct in what they are posting but I just don’t have that concern. Each shelf and set of footers is soundly based on vibration isolation and do their job in exemplary fashion. I love looking at my Extreme. Top shelf
I have been following this thread for a bit and can only comment on a few things.
1 - The Taiko IS a beautiful piece of kit. It’s also VFH. Taking Emile’s advice keeps my chiropractor at bay.
2 - I have the Taiko on a Daiza platform with the simplistic view that there’s a chance that it might have been done at the factory during testing. Just a guess.
3 - It’s sitting on an ash Massif Audio rack which come with Sound Care Super Spikes. Nothing fancy. Just incredibly dense.
4 - All of this is sitting on a floor above my landlord who is unable to tell when my Pilium driven Alsyvox’s are playing. I’m also guessing that the whole thing isn’t transmitting vibrations either to or from enough to phase the Taiko.
Even though I take isolation seriously (refer to attached pictures)I try to consider that everything vibrates and I’m really trying to tune the system and not avoid vibrations as much as I’m trying to work with it.

Attachments

• IMG_0628.jpeg
    IMG_0628.jpeg
    830.2 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_0629.jpeg
    IMG_0629.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 70

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
IMG_2296.jpeg
Here's a look at my rack with all key components on the top rack. The rack is a horizontal 4 x 4 and weighs (without components) close to 700 pounds and well over 1300 pounds with all components. I know I am an outlier as I always follow Emile's advice however as stated the Extreme IMO is far too elegant for me to hide on a bottom shelf

Last edited:

Steve Williams

IMG_2297.jpeg
a view of my Extreme on Center Stage Ultra TT footers and CMS platforms with switch and LPS on shelf below.....also reserved for the router and DCD

Blue58

Jan 20, 2013
London, UK
I have been following this thread for a bit and can only comment on a few things.
1 - The Taiko IS a beautiful piece of kit. It’s also VFH. Taking Emile’s advice keeps my chiropractor at bay.
2 - I have the Taiko on a Daiza platform with the simplistic view that there’s a chance that it might have been done at the factory during testing. Just a guess.
3 - It’s sitting on an ash Massif Audio rack which come with Sound Care Super Spikes. Nothing fancy. Just incredibly dense.
4 - All of this is sitting on a floor above my landlord who is unable to tell when my Pilium driven Alsyvox’s are playing. I’m also guessing that the whole thing isn’t transmitting vibrations either to or from enough to phase the Taiko.
Even though I take isolation seriously (refer to attached pictures)I try to consider that everything vibrates and I’m really trying to tune the system and not avoid vibrations as much as I’m trying to work with it.
My neighbours both sides can certainly hear mine. Ah well.

• Wow
Reactions: Backo NYC/SF

Steve Williams

My neighbours both sides can certainly hear mine. Ah well.
I get around that by inviting my neighbors over for a listen. Works wonders IMO ;)

Huy Hoang

Jan 5, 2019
View attachment 114836
a view of my Extreme on Center Stage Ultra TT footers and CMS platforms with switch and LPS on shelf below.....also reserved for the router and DCD
CSM Ultra TT is one of the best footers which I've ever tried :) I'm waiting for 4 TT sets and Wellfloat Babel for the comparison

jbrrp1

Aug 3, 2020
I would be very interested in hearing the experiences of Extreme owners that have compared it to transports with CD's feeding their DAC. I have not equipped up for such, but I'm curious if there are transport options that could offer even more. How do things compare in your system? Is there equivalence or is one better to your ears?

oldmustang

Dec 1, 2012
If I'm not mistaken, Emile has at his disposal a Metronome Kalista to spin silver discs. Surely that would serve as a benchmark of sorts. More than anyone I know, Emile fits the definition of an "Extreme owner".

More properly, "The Extreme owner".

Steve Z

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing