Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

austinpop

May 23, 2017
Austin, TX
View attachment 109166

Hey guys long time lurker and future Taiko owner with a question. Not much of a network expert but with the preferred architecture above, is there any provision to maintain Roon distribution for non critical listening? Can Roon living on a Taiko Extreme "talk" to the other devices on the separate subnet?

Thanks
That's a good question. I checked with Emile and he thinks it should be possible "with a pass-through" but this would need to be tested.

While I sincerely hope this pans out, this could prove problematic. Roon/RAAT has a history of using broadcast and multicast for discovery, and also moving ports and methods with evolving releases, so getting this right may be tricky, While multicast traffic is theoretically routable between subnets, broadcasts are not, so this may end up being messy. I sure hope to be proven wrong.

theaudiogeek

Apr 4, 2018
Hi Emile.. question for you. Would you recommend using one of the routers USB port to connect USB/Ethernet converter if an additional port is required? Wondering if it has impact to SQ? - Thx

joet

Dec 17, 2020
Northport, NY
While I sincerely hope this pans out, this could prove problematic. Roon/RAAT has a history of using broadcast and multicast for discovery, and also moving ports and methods with evolving releases, so getting this right may be tricky, While multicast traffic is theoretically routable between subnets, broadcasts are not, so this may end up being

View attachment 109166

Hey guys long time lurker and future Taiko owner with a question. Not much of a network expert but with the preferred architecture above, is there any provision to maintain Roon distribution for non critical listening? Can Roon living on a Taiko Extreme "talk" to the other devices on the separate subnet?

Thanks
This is a highly simplistic solution and likely isn't as flexible as what you require - it doesnt allow you to do "unpolluted" critical listening while the non-critical system is operating. But I thought I would offer it on the off-chance it's helpful.

One potential option is to use a BluOS device that you can switch on and off. For my house i bought an older model for $200. You can connect it to your home via hardwired or wireless speakers. The device will attach wirelessly to your network and will show up as a Roon endpoint. When you do critical listening on your reference system turn the BluOS device off and disable the endpoint (Roon zone) in Roon. That should remove all deleterious impact of having it on the network. When you or your wife would like to listen around your home, turn the BluOS device on and enable the endpoint in Roon. Your non-critical system will have access to your entire library, your streaming services, and will be controlled via the same Roon interface as your reference system.

Reactions: oldmustang

joet

Dec 17, 2020
Northport, NY
The chrome finish switches ordered before April the 10th ship May 10-12, chrome switches order after April the 10th ship the second week of June. All black finish switches ship the first week of June.
Are the switches still scheduled to ship today?

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
While I sincerely hope this pans out, this could prove problematic. Roon/RAAT has a history of using broadcast and multicast for discovery, and also moving ports and methods with evolving releases, so getting this right may be tricky, While multicast traffic is theoretically routable between subnets, broadcasts are not, so this may end up being messy. I sure hope to be proven wrong.

Indeed we will just have to test several configurations for SQ. The purpose of the Router is to decrease network traffic on an “audio only” / “isolated” subnet. The more traffic you pass through, the less “useful” it becomes.

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
Hi Emile.. question for you. Would you recommend using one of the routers USB port to connect USB/Ethernet converter if an additional port is required? Wondering if it has impact to SQ? - Thx

Sure that will have an impact on sound quality, plus you’ll need to have driver support in the router for that particular device.

joet

Dec 17, 2020
Northport, NY
Reactions: Taiko Audio

RUIN*ish

VIP/Donor
Nov 28, 2021
Re: BPS Extreme

Will it be recommended to shut down in-between use?
Will the battery section for the ancillary be on powering connected devices if the power is off?

Thanks
Mn

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
Re: BPS Extreme

Will it be recommended to shut down in-between use?
Will the battery section for the ancillary be on powering connected devices if the power is off?

Thanks
Mn

With the BPS the power supply will always be powered on, if you shut it down you will only turn off the computer hardware, that will obviously extend the time before it needs recharging but you'll typically configure it to automatically recharge at for example 3AM so it's not like there's a real benefit to that. But you also don't have the "warmup" time anymore, it's on "song" within just a few minutes after a power cycle (power off/on).

RUIN*ish

VIP/Donor
Nov 28, 2021
With the BPS the power supply will always be powered on, if you shut it down you will only turn off the computer hardware, that will obviously extend the time before it needs recharging but you'll typically configure it to automatically recharge at for example 3AM so it's not like there's a real benefit to that. But you also don't have the "warmup" time anymore, it's on "song" within just a few minutes after a power cycle (power off/on).
Brilliant...
Thank you...

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
This is the best I've heard Ruin sound. It lacks the emotional connection I have using XDMS.
XDMS a good 30% better imho...
(No switch or nic)

Mn
Roon gets a LOT better sounding with the Switch/NIC. As it's been said before Roon with the Switch/NIC card can sound better than XDMS without the Switch/NIC.

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
That'll be an interesting moment if that happens...
It was amazing to me when I experienced it. Everyone's system is different etc. so who knows.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
A question to Emile re length of DAC from router to switch……. Previously you stated that DAC from switch to Extreme should be shortest useable length. Does the same rule apply for DAC from router to switch

Di-fi

Feb 17, 2021
More accurate as in specifically addressing AP “noise”? Yes. I actually have a pretty decent solution already with a low power AP which is powered from one the Router’s USB ports though a small isolation transformer + filter. Making progress!
I was wondering if in this particular case PoE could be a cleaner solution, soundwise and aesthetically?

Last edited:

Di-fi

Feb 17, 2021
In my case any AP connection to the grid is more noisy.
I got Lifepo4 battery that is far superior to any other battery .
Besides the quality and amount of power it also depends what pollution due to bad antennas / signal strength / chosen wifi speed etc. your AP will spread around besides the audio signal. That is in case you have an inefficient AP or setup. A well tuned AP (after all it only serves your control device?) could save you some trouble and a gain in SQ.

Another interesting potential increase in SQ that I unfortunately can not test myself :
With the Extreme Switch hooked up before the Extreme, very likely, playing local files from the Extreme Server itself will sound better than without the switch .The sound-files do not pass the switch in this case, they only go downstream from the server to the DAC (not to confuse with the DAC cable) but gain in SQ because the switch is connected.

Disconnect the last DAC cable and you will hear, I am almost sure there is a difference. It will sound better with the switch connected. Obviously I assume when playing files the Extreme Server is buffering at least two tracks or more or ideally a whole album.

I guess regarding my first comment I am saying in this context if your noisy AP stays connected, that is not a good thing. With an Extreme Switch in place, also when playing local files and when you do not use streaming this could decrease SQ.

I hope I am wrong. But maybe someone will hear a difference?

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing