Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

jelt2359

Nov 17, 2020
Some may want one for the digital interface too I assume, hence 3.

Reactions: Downtheline

gereric

Sep 30, 2018
I would think the digital interface would be powered internally by the BPS the same way as a USB card this not need a DC jack, unless I misunderstood your post?

Reactions: oldmustang

jelt2359

Nov 17, 2020
I’m not sure. The amount of wattage needed to power the digital interface + the analog components are probably going to be orders of magnitude higher than for the usb or even network interface card.
And we already have a two way splitter. Will there be a three way splitter for this?

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
Emile, do you have a rough estimate as to when you have the final pricing for the various BPS options? If I remember correctly the BPS was said to be released around May. So it would be great to know some time ahead how many of those pennies need to be in that audiophile piggy bank.

Sorry but I don’t know yet.

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
can you share anything on what voltages you are planning to supply?
i would assume 2 are optimized for the switch and router?

12V, maybe an additional 5V, it depends a bit on the interfaces we are currently testing. We actually have multiple new interfaces which can add a lot of flexibility and expansion options.

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
I’m not sure. The amount of wattage needed to power the digital interface + the analog components are probably going to be orders of magnitude higher than for the usb or even network interface card.
And we already have a two way splitter. Will there be a three way splitter for this?

You’d probably choose either the USB card or the new interface. But we have a solution coming up for that too.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
You’d probably choose either the USB card or the new interface. But we have a solution coming up for that too.
I haven’t had my coffee yet but here it is ….the pearl of the day. Now you have our minds racing Emile ;)

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
My days are never complete until my first task of each morning is to read this thread which I think has a life of its own with almost 16500 posts and well over 2 million views. Thanks to CKKeung for starting this thread which has resulted in an almost cult like following as all of us cherish our Taiko Extreme and salivate thinking what the 17 new projects Taiko has in the pipeline and to be released over the next few years. Every day Emile with his succinct posts always drops a pearl of things to come. I love it and this thread has created so many new friendships around the world where we all share the same love of this product. Looking forward to the shipping of the cards at the end of this coming week. All of us will be up and running shortly. Patience is a virtue and so far Taiko has never failed to deliver and it's always a revelation when Emile finally reveals what his solutions are. This is truly "The Never Ending Story"

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
I received my Switch today courtesy of FedEx. Two observations:

1) I wondered, what the hell could possibly be in this thing and what might its specific gravity possibly be?
So I looked it up. Here's the table I found:

View attachment 106917

2) I was only able to listen briefly before I headed out to Carnegie to hear The Philadelphia Orchestra play Stravinsky's Rite of Spring and wondered if what I was about to hear would be as good as what I heard through the Taiko Switch. :cool:
I'd like to add observation #3...

I was very surprised to see that when I returned today from last night's concert, Roon radio was still playing (24+ hours)! That has never happened before! It is apparently widely recognized that Roon radio is highly "network sensitive", whatever that means. Emile has said that the switch helps "stabilize" Roon in that regard. So my question for Emile is simply why? Can you share what about the switch makes Roon far more stable when running with the switch, than just running a direct line from modem to the Extreme?

Last edited:
Reactions: EuroDriver

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
I'd like to add observation #3...

I was very surprised to see that when I returned today from last night's concert, Roon radio was still playing (24+ hours)! That has never happened before! It is apparently widely recognized that Roon radio is highly "network sensitive", whatever that means. Emile as said that the switch helps "stabilize" Roon in that regard. So my question for Emile is simply why? Can you share what about the switch makes Roon far more stable when running with the switch, than just running a direct line from modem to the Extreme?

Well it doesn’t really stabilize but it is a stable performer unlike a surprising amount of other gear. Virtually all of our support on Roon is caused by either a faulty automatic Roon update or poor networking performance like bad performing switches, cabling or 100Mbit networking.

John T

Feb 15, 2022
Well it doesn’t really stabilize but it is a stable performer unlike a surprising amount of other gear. Virtually all of our support on Roon is caused by either a faulty automatic Roon update or poor networking performance like bad performing switches, cabling or 100Mbit networking.
I'm getting pauses while playing files or streaming. Never had this happen. With Roon into the Album it stops, it says nothing playing, after about 5 seconds it go's back to where it paused. I have to hit play from here or play and it resumes. Its done this several times...Its not speeds I have 1gig...EDIT Just switched from the plain Jane inexpensive UTP CAT6a to CAT8, lets see if this stops the pausing...EDIT # 2 Its not the cables pause happened again...

Last edited:

oldmustang

Dec 1, 2012
Reactions: MarkusBarkus

adamaley

Apr 15, 2016
Minnetonka, MN
I've been an enthusiastic follower of this thread. I was wondering if Taiko will be opening a dedicated thread. That would be convenient for discussing other products such as the switch, network card, the upcoming router, etc. This thread has been very unwieldy when trying to find specific information. I feel now, with newer products, this single thread will make it even more difficult to parse specific info relating to individual products. Thoughts?

Reactions: MagnusG

Opabin

Feb 25, 2023
Canada
The TPM chip is necessary for high current outputs, meanwhile we have developed “low current” output options with integrated safety features for powering devices like switches, routers etc. The new regulator section for the Extreme which can be powered by an external BPS does indeed have a TPM chip installed.

@Taiko Audio
Your reply has interesting implications for possible TPM-less powering of 3rd-party devices. To Be Determined, I believe. Have you chosen an upper threshold for “low current” output, above which a TPM chip would be required?

Reactions: micky22

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing