Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

cat6man

Feb 6, 2013
west of NYC, east of SF
Has to be applied through the router, the Extreme can’t do it by itself.

i don't see why can't you set up a static IP on a windows pc. it's a choice whether to do it on the pc or the router.
it depends on how comfortable you are with messing with your network :)

John T

Feb 15, 2022
I almost sold my JCAT Optimo Duo, happy I didn't. I will power the router and switch with it...Its like Murphy's Law you sell something then you regret it...

austinpop

May 23, 2017
Austin, TX
Setting up static IP addresses is easy. It's managing static IP addresses that often trips people up! Here's a quick primer. You'll need to log in to your router's web UI to follow along.

A typical home router will set up a subnet for devices with a total of 256 available addresses. For example: 192.168.1.xxx
- Addresses 0 and 255 are reserved
- by convention, the router use address 1 for itself as the "gateway"
- this leaves 2-254 as usable
- most routers allow you to configure a range of addresses that are assigned by DHCP. You'll see this in the UI. Let's say this range is 2-199.
- this means addresses 200-254 are available for use as static addresses
- however, if you statically assign addresses in this range, it is up to you to keep track of all static IP allocations in your network. I keep a Google sheet for this myself, that I refer to anytime I want to allocate a new static IP.

Alternately, and this is probably more convenient for most people, you can use DHCP address reservation. Let your device come up with DHCP as normal. Then use the router UI to reserve this address for this device. Now, your device will always get this same address every time it comes up. This is the moral equivalent of static addresses, except you don't have to worry about keeping track.

The overarching concern with address management is two devices on the network using the same IP address. The above will ensure that does not happen.

oldmustang

Dec 1, 2012
Setting up static IP addresses is easy. It's managing static IP addresses that often trips people up! Here's a quick primer. You'll need to log in to your router's web UI to follow along.

A typical home router will set up a subnet for devices with a total of 256 available addresses. For example: 192.168.1.xxx
- most routers allow you to configure a range of addresses that are assigned by DHCP. You'll see this in the UI. Let's say this range is 2-199.
- however, if you statically assign addresses in this range, it is up to you to keep track of all static IP allocations in your network. I keep a Google sheet for this myself, that I refer to anytime I want to allocate a new static IP.

Alternately, and this is probably more convenient for most people, you can use DHCP address reservation. Let your device come up with DHCP as normal. Then use the router UI to reserve this address for this device. Now, your device will always get this same address every time it comes up. This is the moral equivalent of static addresses, except you don't have to worry about keeping track.

The overarching concern with address management is two devices on the network using the same IP address. The above will ensure that does not happen.
Exellent post, Rajiv. I'd only add that there are a variety of apps that will help a person see what their devices' network addresses and MAC addresses are on their LAN, such as LanScan, Fing and many others.
It's nice to have one of these small programs to check up on LAN health and as an aid in troubleshooting.

Steve Z

cat6man

Feb 6, 2013
west of NYC, east of SF

Good summary. The only point I wanted to make is that the DHCP/reserve address process will need to be redone after the network card changes. So even if you've already done this, the IP address today is reserved for the Mac address of your current network card and has to be reset for the new network card. The IP address is assigned not to the extreme but to its network card.
For example, the fiber and wired NIC have different IP addresses

Malcng

Jul 6, 2022

Exactly.

I’ve been doing it through the router for years and never had an issue. I name/label each attached device so that I know which is at the various addresses and it’s all tabulated and set out neatly in the DHCP IP Assignment Table. It’s really quite easy.

In fairness, I guess it depends upon your router. I’ve had commercial grade routers for years now and they confer a lot of flexibility in management and configurability. Thinking back to the bad old days of Internet provider supplied routers, I can see where the problems might arise.

Last edited:

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Exactly.

I’ve been doing it through the router for years and never had an issue. I name/label each attached device so that I know which is at the various addresses and it’s all tabulated and set out neatly in the DHCP IP Assignment Table. It’s really quite easy.

In fairness, I guess it depends upon your router. I’ve had commercial grade routers for years now and they confer a lot of flexibility in management and configurability. Thinking back to the bad old days of Internet provider supplied routers, I can see where the problems might arise.

Which router are you using which allow you to rename each assigned IP address?

seatrope

Mar 9, 2017
pfsense will allow you to do that, though it runs DNSmasq as its DHCP server i think.

I use pihole for DNS and DHCP, which separates your DNS/DHCP server from your router, which can be a commercial Netgear or whatever.

All my routing is on a layer 3 Brocade switch, with pfsense being only the firewall.

Reactions: dminches

oldmustang

Dec 1, 2012
My old CenturyLink-provided DSL ActionTec 1900C router/modem allowed renaming and even assigning an icon to each IP address/device. So they're out there and not just business or commercial-class routers. I can't speak to the ActionTec's noise signature as compared to other routers but ActionTec does offer routers and modem/routers other than DSL as well.

Steve Z

Reactions: dminches

Malcng

Jul 6, 2022
I too have a digital only main system (I have a record player in my second system mainly as a historical conversation piece ), and I agree with what you say, Roon has many positive attributes, and sounds very good on the Extrene.

However, after I first heard TAS I literally never used Roon again on the Extreme, the sound quality trumped any UI drawbacks & lack of discoverability for me. I joined the XDMS alpha program and was even happier with that. Then around the turn of the year a back end update was released for XDMS which took things to a whole new level of engagement, with the tantalising prospect of even more to come, especially in conjunction with the switch & router. Although XDMS is not going to replace Roon features like multi room, I’d say you are in for a very big and very pleasant sound quality surprise when you try it!

I still use Roon btw, I really value the discoverability, I just don’t run it on the Extreme through my main system any more.

I have been thinking along these lines myself. If XDMS is as good in my system as folk are saying, then there could be merit in my obtaining a small Roon server and tucking it away somewhere for the whole of house supply and just leave the Extreme dedicated to the main system. I could still use Roon in the main system by using the Extreme as an end point rather than as Roon Core - does anybody do this?

The other benefit is that I could try ARC. I had no interest at all in this side of Roon until recently when they introduced the car play functionality which could, at least in theory, be the best in car music playback tool ever invented. There’s no way I would open the Extreme up to the outside world but I might consider it for a different Roon Core. Has anyone tried ARC?

My switch is scheduled for delivery tomorrow morning - feels like Christmas Eve here. :cool:

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Reactions: John T

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Has the script that needs to be run to install the network card been posted anywhere?

Many of us will start receiving their shipments starting tomorrow (Monday, 3/6).

Christiaan Punter

Has the script that needs to be run to install the network card been posted anywhere?

Many of us will start receiving their shipments starting tomorrow (Monday, 3/6).
The Taiko Extreme Network Card script as well as two detailed Instruction Guides (one for Windows, one for OSX) have been uploaded to the Taiko site.

Scroll to the bottom of this page: https://taikoaudio.com/taiko-2020/product/taiko-audio-extreme-network-card/

The Guides are attached to this post on WBF but please note that the script can only be downloaded from the Taiko site.

To make sure you are reading the most recent versions, please head to the Taiko site, at the bottom of the Network Card page: https://taikoaudio.com/taiko-2020/product/taiko-audio-extreme-network-card/

(Last updated 07-03-2023)

Attachments

• How to install the Taiko Audio Extreme Network Card - OSX_v9.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 3
  • How to install the Taiko Audio Extreme Network Card - Windows_v10.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 2
Last edited:

jelt2359

Nov 17, 2020
The Taiko Extreme Network Card script as well as two detailed Instruction Guides (one for Windows, one for OSX) have been uploaded to the Taiko site.

Scroll to the bottom of this page: https://taikoaudio.com/taiko-2020/product/taiko-audio-extreme-network-card/

I will also attach the Guides here but please note that the script can only be downloaded from the Taiko site.

Note: these docs were created in a hurry to be online prior to the deliveries. As a result, they may not yet be perfect. I will further refine them as soon as I have time. Nevertheless, they should convey all the required info.
Just one quick question- can I install now in advance of the arrival, or must I wait until the network card has arrived and installed for it to detect it?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing