Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

@Christiaan Punter - two questions:

1. "The Extreme Network Card can go in any vacant PCIe slot"
Isn't the recommendation to remove the fiber Network Card and install the Taiko Network Card in the same slot?

2. Taiko's website says: "The card is powered internally via the PCIe slot." However, the photo Emile posted suggests there is a splitting DC cable.
I did not see anything in the instructions about connecting this cable... Can you please provide some clarity on that?

Just one quick question- can I install now in advance of the arrival, or must I wait until the network card has arrived and installed for it to detect it?
The card must first be installed, prior to running the script.

The Taiko Extreme Network Card script as well as two detailed Instruction Guides (one for Windows, one for OSX) have been uploaded to the Taiko site.

Scroll to the bottom of this page: https://taikoaudio.com/taiko-2020/product/taiko-audio-extreme-network-card/

I will also attach the Guides here but please note that the script can only be downloaded from the Taiko site.

Note: these docs were created in a hurry to be online prior to the deliveries. As a result, they may not yet be perfect but I will further refine them as I go along. Nevertheless, they should convey all the required info.
There is no way with my limitations can I accomplish this without the help of Taiko...This is like me giving instructions how to weld...

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: engadin and Malcng
@Christiaan Punter - two questions:

1. "The Extreme Network Card can go in any vacant PCIe slot"
Isn't the recommendation to remove the fiber Network Card and install the Taiko Network Card in the same slot?

2. Taiko's website says: "The card is powered internally via the PCIe slot." However, the photo Emile posted suggests there is a splitting DC cable.
I did not see anything in the instructions about connecting this cable... Can you please provide some clarity on that?
Thanks for pointing this out. As it turns out, the early information was incorrect. I have amended it in the Summary Docs and on the website.

The Extreme Network Card is preferably installed in Slot 2, in place of the old SFP card.

Power to the card is provided by a split DC cable that substitutes the single cable that powered the USB cable and will then power both the USB card and network card.

There is no way with my limitations can I accomplish this without the help of Taiko...
Not to worry, we can always schedule a remote access session!

Self-installation is for those who are comfortable with their computers and know a bit about networking principles. This will be quickest for those involved as they don't have to wait for us to be available, and it will also save us a lot of valuable time:)

Not to worry, we can always schedule a remote access session!

Self-installation is for those who are comfortable with their computers and know a bit about networking principles. This will be quickest for those involved as they don't have to wait for us to be available, and it will also save us a lot of valuable time:)
Bedankt!! I was about to slip into anaphylaxis shock!!! Thanks again Christiaan...

A little video of the physical installation of the card would be welcome. It does not seem complicated, but the extra information does not get in the way.

A little video of the physical installation of the card would be welcome. It does not seem complicated, but the extra information does not get in the way.
Agreed, a simple instruction video installing the network card into SLOT 2. It does appear quite simple but may save some angst for some...

@Malcng I look forward to reading your thoughts!

It will be interesting tomorrow for sure. I have stitches in my lower back and am not supposed to do anything physical until they are removed. I’m bored out of my skull - hence the massive increase in post count on here recently. Sorry!

My wife is clucking round me like a protective mother hen because my lack of care regarding physical self harm is notorious and has always been quite alarming to her. But those of us who grew up watching programs like Thunderbirds and Stingray still think we are indestructible like Captain Scarlet. :) I went in the gym yesterday when she was out walking the dog but she came back earlier than expected and caught me out. I got a bit of a roasting and so I fear that I may be under strict supervision tomorrow.

I have to say the process has been highly efficient all round. It is due from 8:00 am tomorrow and I’m in the UK. Deliveries from Europe have been very ‘variable‘ to say the least in recent times, so well done Taiko for imposing their normal efficiencies to this particular little project.

It will be interesting tomorrow for sure. I have stitches in my lower back and am not supposed to do anything physical until they are removed. I’m bored out of my skull - hence the massive increase in post count on here recently. Sorry!

My wife is clucking round me like a protective mother hen because my lack of care regarding physical self harm is notorious and has always been quite alarming to her. But those of us who grew up watching programs like Thunderbirds and Stingray still think we are indestructible like Captain Scarlet. :) I went in the gym yesterday when she was out walking the dog but she came back earlier than expected and caught me out. I got a bit of a roasting and so I fear that I may be under strict supervision tomorrow.

I have to say the process has been highly efficient all round. It is due from 8:00 am tomorrow and I’m in the UK. Deliveries from Europe have been very ‘variable‘ to say the least in recent times, so well done Taiko for imposing their normal efficiencies to this particular little project.
Mine is due by 9pm tomorrow and I am in South East Asia (much further). According to tracking, it's already in my country :)

Isn't it fun playing with physical limitations! I'm 6 weeks post knee replacement so I understand your situation all to well!!

Reactions: MarkusBarkus
Isn't it fun playing with physical limitations! I'm 6 weeks post knee replacement so I understand your situation all to well!!

I hope you are recovering well John. A friend of mine had that op and was entering Iron Man competitions within months. Quite incredible. Hope you will be similar.

Mine is very minor indeed and the only issue is for me to take care and not being a clumsy lummox and ripping the stitches open. Easier said than done I’m afraid.

Reactions: oldmustang
I hope you are recovering well John. A friend of mine had that op and was entering Iron Man competitions within months. Quite incredible. Hope you will be similar.

Mine is very minor indeed and the only issue is for me to take care and not being a clumsy lummox and ripping the stitches open. Easier said than done I’m afraid.
Thank You Malcom, I'm doing good, but even good is not easy! Mark @MarkusBarkus will attest to this and so will Fred @LampiNA, along with @Steve Williams. Looking at doing the other one in 6 weeks or so, talk about a daunting thought! Typically 6-12 months for complete healing with total knee replacement, my Iron Man Days are over, I'm hoping to resume my wood splitting/harvesting this fall...

Reactions: LampiNA and Malcng
Thank You Malcom, I'm doing good, but even good is not easy! Mark @MarkusBarkus will attest to this and so will Fred @LampiNA, along with @Steve Williams. Looking at doing the other one in 6 weeks or so, talk about a daunting thought! Typically 6-12 months for complete healing with total knee replacement, my Iron Man Days are over, I'm hoping to resume my wood splitting/harvesting this fall...
Mine were done 3 months apart. It doesn't take a year to recover. Post op Physical Therapy is paramount to a successful recovery. We walk 5 miles every day now since the surgery. Im now 8 1/2 years post op. For me it was a life changing surgery

Reactions: John T and Malcng
Mine were done 3 months apart. It doesn't take a year to recover. Post op Physical Therapy is paramount to a successful recovery. We walk 5 miles every day now since the surgery. Im now 8 1/2 years post op. For me it was a life changing surgery
Worse case scenario, (12 months) a friend who is 10 weeks post op (different surgeon) had complications. I was told 6 months or sooner for complete healing. I'm looking at following your course. I'm 6 weeks tomorrow and able to easily walk a mile or more. They don't want me to go too crazy. As you indicate Physical Therapy is imperative...

The one thing I was told was to avoid impact exercise to the knees so I have cut out all jogging.
I was told the same. All the running I did caused my problems.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing