Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

So when I make the jump to XDMS I'll have 77.5 Bins (15,500 albums) to deal with?
That seems totally unmanageable.....

That's only if you want to navigate to an album via the album view.

Wouldn't it be quicker to get to one of the last albums by clicking on the last album bin and then scrolling to the bottom of 200 albums vs. having to scroll through 15k albums?

So when I make the jump to XDMS I'll have 77.5 Bins (15,500 albums) to deal with?
That seems totally unmanageable.....

This is a very early release, there’s a lot of coding left to do, a lot of innovative thinking and learning needing to be performed, we cannot use „off the shelf“ code, nor the easy way out, that would max out at about TAS SQ levels. For now this is the stop gap to have acceptable performance. XDMS is going to change a lot over time, again this is not even BETA worthy code from our perspective.

@CKKeung apologies, truly swamped, still coming!

I remember when I had my Melco, I used Minimserver as server software. At the checkpoint on the Ipad, I used Lumin's software, although I could also (among many others) use the application created by Melco. This last one loaded the metadata including covers, every time the Melco was accessed (as it seems that XDMS does), this made the navigation slow. Lumin did an initial scan of the metadata and covers and saved them on the Ipad, the navigation was much faster.

Reactions: oldmustang
That's only if you want to navigate to an album via the album view.

Wouldn't it be quicker to get to one of the last albums by clicking on the last album bin and then scrolling to the bottom of 200 albums vs. having to scroll through 15k albums?
Indeed, Bins are only shown for Artists and Albums, extracted from metadata tags. As mentioned, the Bins are only a solution that we employ while we explore other possibilities.

Of course, you don't HAVE to browse by Album or Artist and use the Buckets. You can also search for an album or artist and be taken there directly.

Also, there is the My Library Folder Browsing section which shows the files precisely as they are physically on the music drive and this works without Bins.

Of course, you don't HAVE to browse by Album or Artist and use the Buckets. You can also search for an album or artist and be taken there directly.

Do you have any sense of when we will be able to browse albums by first selecting an artist? Just curious.

Right now the "by folder" navigation is the easiest for me.

Do you have any sense of when we will be able to browse albums by first selecting an artist? Just curious.

Artist browsing is in the works. Upon selecting an Artist, you will be able to browse the Albums. We have no schedule on when to release this or other functionality. But it will come.

Folder navigation is ALL I use

anyone remember how to get the device descriptor for a DAC, i.e. what program to run?

then how in the world did you survive with roon?
it drove me crazy.
I haven't used Roon (other than a few returns to it) since the first alpha version of TAS

Reactions: kyoya78
First post from a very chronic lurker. Tried to wait and not bother the Taiko Team but the endless favorable comments here on the XDMS put an end to my good manners. Requested and received XDMS Alpha today. My note to Ed on What's App
"THANK YOU!!! This is crazy good. Distinctly bigger step than the firmware last winter. HUGE sound stage and dynamic range. Muddy Waters Folk songs-Amazing, amazing!"

I just wanted to share my experience with XDMS following the testing I’ve been involved with doing here in Australia. As Ed has outlined, we had some unique challenges in Oz with the streaming platforms which have now been addressed (yee hah!!) - the guys did an amazing job identifying something that one would not expect and have fixed it in a very short amount of time!

With XDMS currently in Alpha state there is quite a bit of work, as you’d expect, to still be done, but you can already see the enormous potential that XDMS has! Over the next few weeks or so as things are ironed out with the help of the testers currently involved, more Extreme users will be able to move to what I believe will be a world class product, especially with the SQ that the guys have been able to yield. Just sit tight if you’re still using TAS, which is still excellent, as the ride will be much more enjoyable once the kinks are ironed out and it will help the Taiko team move us all forwards much quicker - keep in mind, Alpha is really a release for testing rather than a version to be supported.

Now as for SQ Emile and his team have to be really commended for what they have been able to achieve. A few of the guys have already outlined in detail what they have found and my experience is really no different - the music simply has much more presence and therefore seems more ‘real’, has greater dynamics, more bass and an expansive soundstage that is simply incredible! It has obviously taken the guys a huge amount of work to achieve what they have and I’m proud to be part of the Taiko community knowing that we have guys that are absolutely committed to delivering the very best sound possible, despite the challenges that come with developing their own software to make the user experience also exceptional, which I believe it will be.

I’m looking forward to the next few months as things continue to evolve and we move to a beta environment that somehow, according to Emile from what Ed has said, will push the SQ even higher (how the hell is that even possible!!!).

Just sit tight if you’re still using TAS, which is still excellent, as the ride will be much more enjoyable once the kinks are ironed out and it will help the Taiko team move us all forwards much quicker - keep in mind, Alpha is really a release for testing rather than a version to be supported.
Is this (above quote) the current approach for XDMS rollout?

That is, instead of bogging down the development of Beta with more and more Alpha users, let the current alpha testers (who are hopefully tech literate) continue testing and giving feedback through TestFlight?

As anxious as I’ve been to hear the new player, I’m Ok waiting a reasonable time longer if it will help expedite getting Beta out the door.

On the other hand, if someone is in the midst of changing a component or room treatment and the like, it seems to me they should be in the fast lane for Alpha.

(I postponed a speaker setup visit from Stirling Trayle for nearly a year waiting for Xdms and then Alpha was released 2 weeks after he finally was here! My bad luck!)

Maybe it would be helpful if Taiko could clearly outline their optimal rollout approach? Is getting Alpha to everyone that is asking for it the priority or is putting all resources to Beta the desired focus?

Just my 2c.

Reactions: MusicFellow
Is this (above quote) the current approach for XDMS rollout?

That is, instead of bogging down the development of Beta with more and more Alpha users, let the current alpha testers (who are hopefully tech literate) continue testing and giving feedback through TestFlight?

As anxious as I’ve been to hear the new player, I’m Ok waiting a reasonable time longer if it will help expedite getting Beta out the door.

On the other hand, if someone is in the midst of changing a component or room treatment and the like, it seems to me they should be in the fast lane for Alpha.

(I postponed a speaker setup visit from Stirling Trayle for nearly a year waiting for Xdms and then Alpha was released 2 weeks after he finally was here! My bad luck!)

Maybe it would be helpful if Taiko could clearly outline their optimal rollout approach? Is getting Alpha to everyone that is asking for it the priority or is putting all resources to Beta the desired focus?

Just my 2c.
Hi Wil, Yes, since XDMS is in the Alpha state, that is still the current approach, especially since we are currently a little overwhelmed with XDMS requests and the associated required support. That said, everyone is free to apply, just please note that there will be a queue...

Hi Wil, Yes, since XDMS is in the Alpha state, that is still the current approach, especially since we are currently a little overwhelmed with XDMS requests and the associated required support. That said, everyone is free to apply, just please note that there will be a queue...

I hope once people have XDMS up and running they aren't requesting additional support. It defeats the purpose of trying to test an alpha release. If the team can't continue to code and instead are answering "how to" questions the process will get bogged down. If something isn't working post it to Test Flight and wait until there is a new release.

I hope once people have XDMS up and running they aren't requesting additional support. It defeats the purpose of trying to test an alpha release. If the team can't continue to code and instead are answering "how to" questions the process will get bogged down. If something isn't working post it to Test Flight and wait until there is a new release.
Don't worry, the coding is ever ongoing. But it's currently hard for Edward to keep up with the requests and since he is also the Project Manager for the XDMS development and he has to make sure the development proceeds in the right direction, it does put extra strain on him. That said, I think I can speak for him when I say he's always happy to help, but it just might take a little longer than you're used to from us. Meanwhile, I'm here to answer any questions.

Don't worry, the coding is ever ongoing. But it's currently hard for Edward to keep up with the requests and since he is also the Project Manager for the XDMS development and he has to make sure the development proceeds in the right direction, it does put extra strain on him. That said, I think I can speak for him when I say he's always happy to help, but it just might take a little longer than you're used to from us. Meanwhile, I'm here to answer any questions.
Edward is such an asset to Taiko. He always has a smile on his face and is never too busy to Team Viewer into a member's system to fix a problem. Edward is 9 time zones ahead of men and yet his smiling face is always there to resolve an issue. I do agree with dminches that bugs need to be reported through Team Viewer rather than on this thread.

I am also interested in any work arounds members discover which we can all use. I thought Ed's work around wrt not being able to load a file into queue and not play was brilliant

David, respectfully and strongly disagree. I've refrained from trying XDMS because it is clearly a work in progress and since I'm not technically adept at this stuff, I'm comfortable waiting for the bugs to be ironed out. Yes, I get it, the SQ is apparently excellent, but I've always relied on Emile and his team to respond when I'm in the midst of hanging myself when something goes awry. That has been their trademark since day 1. If I can't count on that, it will push me further away from trying XDMS when I'm ready to do so. My guess is that it will take some time to develop a platform as smooth as Roon, and that's fine as the outcome will be worth the wait. In the interim, my guess is that I will likely use Roon the majority of the time as it suits my surfing style, and XDMS for critical and selected listening. But the concern you raise over XDMS support is an issue for me. If I can't ask the Taiko Team (who never sleeps) a how-to question when I am stuck, I will happily defer trying XDMS for a while longer.

David, respectfully and strongly disagree. I've refrained from trying XDMS because it is clearly a work in progress and since I'm not technically adept at this stuff, I'm comfortable waiting for the bugs to be ironed out. Yes, I get it, the SQ is apparently excellent, but I've always relied on Emile and his team to respond when I'm in the midst of hanging myself when something goes awry. That has been their trademark since day 1. If I can't count on that, it will push me further away from trying XDMS when I'm ready to do so. My guess is that it will take some time to develop a platform as smooth as Roon, and that's fine as the outcome will be worth the wait. In the interim, my guess is that I will likely use Roon the majority of the time as it suits my surfing style, and XDMS for critical and selected listening. But the concern you raise over XDMS support is an issue for me. If I can't ask the Taiko Team (who never sleeps) a how-to question when I am stuck, I will happily defer trying XDMS for a while longer.

Marty, what are you disagreeing with? People like you who aren’t technically adept (your words) and don’t like to play in the sandbox shouldn’t bother with XDMS until it is at least beta, if not a full release. My comment didn’t suggest people such as you should dabble in XDMS. I merely stated that if someone wants to play with XDMS it should be at their own risk and on their own time.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing