Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

Listening :)

Ed, I had suggested this to you when we were chatting during my install, so hopefully it's already on the request list, but let me mention it here as well, since many folks are experiencing very long full library scans. Currently XDMS scans Music files from the root of the D drive, i.e. the music directory is hard coded to D:\.

I had requested Ed to make this (path to music folder) a configurable parameter, just like TAS/LMS, Roon, and other music servers.

Would the team consider giving this feature a high priority?

The reason for the ask is that this could alleviate the problem many alpha testers are having with very long (hours, even days) full library scans. With this feature in place, a tester could move or copy a subset of their music to a Test-XDMS (just an example name) folder, and then point the XDMS server to scan just this folder.

I will reiterate that I am also loving the SQ of XDMS, and it deserves all the superlatives that have been reported here!

David, respectfully and strongly disagree. I've refrained from trying XDMS because it is clearly a work in progress and since I'm not technically adept at this stuff, I'm comfortable waiting for the bugs to be ironed out. Yes, I get it, the SQ is apparently excellent, but I've always relied on Emile and his team to respond when I'm in the midst of hanging myself when something goes awry. That has been their trademark since day 1. If I can't count on that, it will push me further away from trying XDMS when I'm ready to do so. My guess is that it will take some time to develop a platform as smooth as Roon, and that's fine as the outcome will be worth the wait. In the interim, my guess is that I will likely use Roon the majority of the time as it suits my surfing style, and XDMS for critical and selected listening. But the concern you raise over XDMS support is an issue for me. If I can't ask the Taiko Team (who never sleeps) a how-to question when I am stuck, I will happily defer trying XDMS for a while longer.
While requests for XDMS installations are queuing up and direct support for XDMS is currently not as quick as we would like, I am available on this forum and via support@taikoaudio.com for "how to" and other questions, concerning XDMS, or Taiko in general. Don't hesitate to ask away!

Ed, I had suggested this to you when we were chatting during my install, so hopefully it's already on the request list, but let me mention it here as well, since many folks are experiencing very long full library scans. Currently XDMS scans Music files from the root of the D drive, i.e. the music directory is hard coded to D:\.

I had requested Ed to make this (path to music folder) a configurable parameter, just like TAS/LMS, Roon, and other music servers.

Would the team consider giving this feature a high priority?

The reason for the ask is that this could alleviate the problem many alpha testers are having with very long (hours, even days) full library scans. With this feature in place, a tester could move or copy a subset of their music to a Test-XDMS (just an example name) folder, and then point the XDMS server to scan just this folder.

I will reiterate that I am also loving the SQ of XDMS, and it deserves all the superlatives that have been reported here!
This is a good idea, it is noted, and will discuss internally.

I am doing demos using XDMS. I only use Tidal and Qobuz. We can either go to any of my hundreds of favorites (alphabetically) or search for anything in Tidal or Qobuz. It has been ROCK SOLID.

I understand about files etc and the structures and all of the things that will be coming, but for now being able to hand the Ipad to someone that has never seen XDMS and have them listen for two hours via searching for what they want to hear in Tidal/Qobuz and never have a glitch and have INCREDIBLE SOUND works for me and I am so appreciative of what we have now.

Great to ask for specific enhancements and give feedback, but realize that what we have right now is amazing in itself. It is for me and many guests that I have handed the Ipad to and said have fun....and they did:) Of course, ymmv.

I just had three forum members ask me how I was searching in Tidal or Qobuz. It's the small Icloud type for search icon to the right or Tidal or Qobuz after you click the Tidal or Qobuz icon.

It is NOT the search icon on the bottom right of the screen.

I just had three forum members ask me how I was searching in Tidal or Qobuz. It's the small Icloud type for search icon to the right or Tidal or Qobuz after you click the Tidal or Qobuz icon.

It is NOT the search icon on the bottom right of the screen.
I had to go back a few pages to find it. Now when I select and play an album will it move in to my library?

I had to go back a few pages to find it. Now when I select and play an album will it move in to my library?
I'm not sure about that. I don't think so, Ed, Christiaan?

2567108B-3F34-4271-9C2C-68DA022FBF48.jpeg

I don't think you can save favorites in Tidal/Qobuz yet in XDMS If anyone knows how you can do that please advise. I'm thinking it will come later.

New at XDMS and a digital … ahem illiterate, I suggest to open a separate Qobuz app on your ipad. You can there add your favorite(s), XDMS will have them then, too.

Greetings and many thanks to Ed, who suffered through setting up XDMS for me, ever smiling and friendly!

New at XDMS and a digital … ahem illiterate, I suggest to open a separate Qobuz app on your ipad. You can there add your favorite(s), XDMS will have them then, too.

Greetings and many thanks to Ed, who suffered through setting up XDMS for me, ever smiling and friendly!
Very Cool Modus Operandi

make a playlist in the native Qobuz or Tiday app on the iPad and play it from xdms

While requests for XDMS installations are queuing up and direct support for XDMS is currently not as quick as we would like, I am available on this forum and via support@taikoaudio.com for "how to" and other questions, concerning XDMS, or Taiko in general. Don't hesitate to ask away!
Thank you Christiaan. This is very helpful and may push me sooner rather than later!

I now feel rather tempted - but I am not a TAS registered user or tester. Is it possible to skip TAS and go directly in XDMS?

I don't think you can save favorites in Tidal/Qobuz yet in XDMS If anyone knows how you can do that please advise. I'm thinking it will come later.
If I am understanding the above, currently, it is possible to favorite tracks in Tidal and Qobuz in XDMS. I am so glad this ability has returned as I was struggling a bit in TAS re: same. At the moment, I cannot save a favorite from the playing queue, but if you go back to the specific song in Tidal or Qobuz, click on the 3 dots on far right and select "Add to Qobuz/Tidal favourites". It will then appear in your favorite track list.

Relatedly, you can also remove a track from your Qobuz/Tidal favourites by clicking on the 3 dots when you pull up your favorites list.

Also, FWIW my library scans (after I add downloaded tracks to my Music folder on the Extreme) have been smooth as butter. And I have been streaming constantly for the last 10 days and have not had one single drop out.

Thanks again Team Taiko for the tireless efforts on XDMS and for your continued legendary customer service all the while as your customer base clearly continues to expand. Take care. I can't stop listening here.

Last edited:
If I am understanding the above, currently, it is possible to favorite tracks in Tidal and Qobuz in XDMS. I am so glad this ability has returned as I was struggling a bit in TAS re: same. At the moment, I cannot save a favorite from the playing queue, but if you go back to the specific song in Tidal or Qobuz, click on the 3 dots on far right and select "Add to Qobuz/Tidal favourites". It will then appear in your favorite track list.

Relatedly, you can also remove a track from your Qobuz/Tidal favourites by clicking on the 3 dots when you pull up your favorites list.

Also, FWIW my library scans (after I add downloaded tracks to my Music folder on the Extreme) have been smooth as butter. And I have been streaming constantly for the last 10 days and have not had one single drop out.

Thanks again Team Taiko for the tireless efforts on XDMS and for your continued legendary customer service all the while as your customer base clearly continues to expand. Take care. I can't stop listening here.
THX!!!!! I had tried saving the tracks, BUT then I was looking at albums vs tracks in my Tidal collection. I have always saved albums and not tracks so saving tracks doesn't help me.

Why do they call it "My Collection" instead of Favorites? It bugs me:)

I'm fine to wait for all of these features to work. They will. With a few hundred favorites and only the alphabetical listing vs.last added, I just search for most albums to play.

I really like the look and feel of the user interface and I LOVE the sonics.

Sure, I’ve been doing that ever since TAS came out. It’s fine for now. It will be great when you can do it directly in XDMS and also have last in for favorites.

Q - if you have the XDMS alpha installed, is it easy to go back and forth between XDMS and Roon or does it become a complex process? Am curious to try XDMS for the sound upgrade but would still like to be able to easily switch back to Roon for the stability of the interface…

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing