Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
The A5’s were uber performers in Munich, punching way over their cost
All Munich reports were the A5's sounded better than the M6's that were playing with all 'Soulution 700 series electronics. I didn't hear it so I can't comment.

Reactions: ctydwn

ACHiPo

Feb 22, 2015
Pleasanton, CA
Here is an update on my experiences with the Taiko Extreme in my system. First, it was set straight on the Artesania rack's Beechwood couplers that are on the Linear Carbon Fiber Arms. The position of these arms can be adjusted wider and narrower while the couplers themselves can also be positioned farther from and closer to each other. I have done some experiments with this and will relay the sonic differences.
….
With the Artesania
With the feet widened, there was a MASSIVE increase in bass control and articulation, as well as in terms of the incisiveness and ov

Indeed, with the platform removed, the coloration was gone while all the aforementioned advantages remained. I'm sure I will gather more experience and of course, the Exoteryc rack is not the only great solution, but I can say with certainty that I have not heard better server performance in my system, ever. Every friend who has visited has been deeply impressed with the Extreme's performaneck.
@Christiaan Punter,
Forgive me if this is a dumb question, but why not place the Extreme’s feet directly on the Beechwood couplers?

By the way you get bonus points for curling 45 kg several times while doing these experiments!;)

Last edited:

SwissTom

Sep 30, 2021
All Munich reports were the A5's sounded better than the M6's that were playing with all 'Soulution 700 series electronics. I didn't hear it so I can't comment.

I had the opportunity to compare the A, S and M series speakers.
Same room, same electronics.

The A3 and A5 are fine speakers and certainly have little competition at their price point, but the M series speakers are, in my opinion, in a completely different league and that's an understatement.

While I found the M2s to be the best at rendering vocals, piano and chamber music, when it comes to rendering a symphonic orchestra, the M6s are by far the best loudspeakers I have ever heard.

Magico has set the bar relatively high. That's a good thing. A little competition is always good. Ultimately, it's the end consumer who wins, whatever the budget.

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany

The A3 and A5 are fine speakers and certainly have little competition at their price point, but the M series speakers are, in my opinion, in a completely different league and that's an understatement.

While I found the M2s to be the best at rendering vocals, piano and chamber music, when it comes to rendering a symphonic orchestra, the M6s are by far the best loudspeakers I have ever heard.

Magico has set the bar relatively high. That's a good thing. A little competition is always good. Ultimately, it's the end consumer who wins, whatever the budget.
What about the S series in comparison?
Thanks

Matt

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio

You should get to hear the M9. It's another planet from any other Magico speaker.

SwissTom

Sep 30, 2021
You should get to hear the M9. It's another planet from any other Magico speaker.
I don't doubt it for a second. They have put all their knowledge into it.

It must be an extraordinary experience to enjoy a symphonic orchestra reproduced by these speakers.

I'm not a car fan, my bike costs more than my car. But if I had the means I wouldn't hesitate to purchase these magnificent speakers. Driven by Soulution monoblocks, of course.

Anyway, I'm very happy with my system. I'm looking forward to the delivery of my Magico M2s. In the meantime, I'm finishing the setup of my listening room.

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
I don't doubt it for a second. They have put all their knowledge into it.

It must be an extraordinary experience to enjoy a symphonic orchestra reproduced by these speakers.

I'm not a car fan, my bike costs more than my car. But if I had the means I wouldn't hesitate to purchase these magnificent speakers. Driven by Soulution monoblocks, of course.

Anyway, I'm very happy with my system. I'm looking forward to the delivery of my Magico M2s. In the meantime, I'm finishing the setup of my listening room.
The M2s are one of my favorite Magico speakers. Congratulations and enjoy them!

Reactions: SwissTom

MarkusBarkus

Feb 6, 2021
While I found the M2s to be the best at rendering vocals, piano and chamber music
...I did consider the M2s instead of the A5s, but I was worried that the size and shape of my room, even though well treated, would be overwhelmed.

When I heard the A5s in situ, they sounded excellent and fit the room, so to speak. I bought them and then all the articles started popping up. I think the dealer wanted those demos back!

As I read more, it now seems at least possible that the M2s would be OK in my room, but...we'll see. I am very happy with the A5s. If that's your price-point, I would recommend them highly.

SwissTom

Sep 30, 2021
What about the S series in comparison?
Thanks

Matt
Describing the differences between speakers is not a simple thing. It is often a matter of taste. But when it comes to Magico's series (A, S and M) it's much easier.

Simply put: performance.

- A-series: parallelepipedic classic enclosure design, more affordable componentry. Built to a price point.

- S-Series: more sophisticated enclosure and crossover design. Much better tweeter and drivers.

- M series: state of the art

I spent a few hours listening to almost all Magico speakers, with Soulution electronics, in exceptional conditions: huge listening room and no one around (I did not listen to the S5 and S7).

All Magico products are extremely well built (they are all closed cabinet designs) and their performance is amazing compared to competition (at the same price point).

I have tried a few British and French speakers, but have always been disappointed by lower mids and bass.

I've even given up on the idea of being able to listen to proper below 65Hz reproduction .

In terms of sound signature, I would form two groups: the A series and the S/M series.

The S and M series are extremely neutral, especially the M series. The latter is really "What You Feed is What You Get" kind of speakers. The bass is... the best I've ever heard.

The best cello and piano reproduction I've ever heard was with the M2s.

I always thought that well-integrated ribbon tweeters could not be outperformed by any dome. Well, I was wrong.

The S and M series tweeter is simply amazing, extremely fast and accurate. Baroque violin (with gut strings) sounds so silky and natural (it can sometimes sound harsh... if you like baroque music, you certainly know what I mean).

I couldn't believe that a pair of speakers could deliver the clear bass I enjoy on headphones, until I heard the M séries.

There is no such thing as a perfect speaker, but the M series offers a good idea of what it could be. Magico has raised the bar to a new level.

While the M2 clearly outperforms the S3 MkIIs, the differences are not immense. The price is. So I ended up buying the S3 MkII which I sold after two years and bought a pair of M2s.

The S3 MkII with SPODs remains, in my opinion, the best choice in terms of price to performance ratio.

The A series is also a wonderful option to consider.

The A5, however, is pricey. For a tad more you can get the S3 MkII which is a lot better.

Of course, all of the above is just my opinion, speakers are a rather personal thing. And I encourage you to listen to them.

Last edited:

JanneW

Feb 22, 2020
Stockholm, Sweden
www.warnhoffaudio.com
Describing the differences between speakers is not a simple thing. It is often a matter of taste. But when it comes to Magico's series (A, S and M) it's much easier.

Simply put: performance.

- A-series: parallelepipedic classic enclosure design, more affordable componentry. Built to a price point.

- S-Series: more sophisticated enclosure and crossover design. Much better tweeter and drivers.

- M series: state of the art

I spent a few hours listening to almost all Magico speakers, with Soulution electronics, in exceptional conditions: huge listening room and no one around (I did not listen to the S5 and S7).

All Magico products are extremely well built (they are all closed cabinet designs) and their performance is amazing compared to competition (at the same price point).

I have tried a few British and French speakers, but have always been disappointed by lower mids and bass.

I've even given up on the idea of being able to listen to proper below 65Hz reproduction .

In terms of sound signature, I would form two groups: the A series and the S/M series.

The S and M series are extremely neutral, especially the M series. The latter is really "What You Feed is What You Get" kind of speakers. The bass is... the best I've ever heard.

The best cello and piano reproduction I've ever heard was with the M2s.

I always thought that well-integrated ribbon tweeters could not be outperformed by any dome. Well, I was wrong.

The S and M series tweeter is simply amazing, extremely fast and accurate. Baroque violin (with gut strings) sounds so silky and natural (it can sometimes sound harsh... if you like baroque music, you certainly know what I mean).

I couldn't believe that a pair of speakers could deliver the clear bass I enjoy on headphones, until I heard the M séries.

There is no such thing as a perfect speaker, but the M series offers a good idea of what it could be. Magico has raised the bar to a new level.

While the M2 clearly outperforms the S3 MkIIs, the differences are not immense. The price is. So I ended up buying the S3 MkII which I sold after two years and bought a pair of M2s.

The S3 MkII with SPODs remains, in my opinion, the best choice in terms of price to performance ratio.

The A series is also a wonderful option to consider.

The A5, however, is pricey. For a tad more you can get the S3 MkII which is a lot better.

Of course, all of the above is just my opinion, speakers are a rather personal thing. And I encourage you to listen to them.
Magico is a brand with good reputation, but what about Wilson Audio? They have made loadspeakers for almost 50 years and in my opinion, they make, without comparison, THE best speakers. Do yourself a favor and go and listen to the Wilson Alexx V, or Chronosonic XVX...
Wilson Audio - Alexx V

ctydwn

Aug 23, 2019
I do love reading about speakers… but back to this thread and the Extreme. Has/was the Extreme BPS demo’ed in Munich and how might it separate itself from a 3rd party battery like the Stromtank?

Reactions: wil and ACHiPo

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
...how might it separate itself from a 3rd party battery like the Stromtank?

BTW, regarding the issues with Stromtank it is interesting to do a search here with "Stromtank" and "romaz".

Matt

Last edited:

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
I do love reading about speakers… but back to this thread and the Extreme. Has/was the Extreme BPS demo’ed in Munich and how might it separate itself from a 3rd party battery like the Stromtank?

It was the „standard“ Extreme running Roon.

Matt‘s quote answered the other half of your question :)

Reactions: ctydwn and matthias

ctydwn

Aug 23, 2019
Ugh, I had a feeling I was missing a past exchange. Sorry about that.

Starting negotiations to expand my rack here. Sounds like BPSs could be in alot of followers’ future.

Last edited:

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Ugh, I had a feeling I was missing a past exchange. Sorry about that.

Starting negotiations to expand my rack here. Sounds like BPSs could be in alot of followers’ future.
I have exactly one shelf left and fortunately it is immediately below my Extreme

RobertL

Oct 19, 2021
I have a confession to make, I actually very much enjoy these customer service sessions
The passed week of testing, confirmed issue is with DSF512 and DSF1024 music albums. DSF64 music albums okay. Please setup a Teamviewer session with my Mac. Many thanks.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing