Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

alwayslearning

Jan 13, 2011
Hi Emile--

I've already emailed you about this, but I know there are quite a few Extreme customers who are using a Chord DAVE and SRC-DX with the ComTrue USB driver. We would be really grateful if Taiko could customize the ComTrue driver.

If you are one of those SRC-DX users who could benefit from a Taiko customization of the ComTrue driver, please feel free to post a short message on this thread letting Emile know of your interest. Thanks!

simorag

Sep 14, 2017
Florence, Italy
Hi Emile--

I've already emailed you about this, but I know there are quite a few Extreme customers who are using a Chord DAVE and SRC-DX with the ComTrue USB driver. We would be really grateful if Taiko could customize the ComTrue driver.

If you are one of those SRC-DX users who could benefit from a Taiko customization of the ComTrue driver, please feel free to post a short message on this thread letting Emile know of your interest. Thanks!

+1 here (hopefully soon :p)

Reactions: alwayslearning

QSA-LANEDRI

Industry Expert
Dec 17, 2018
Belgium
Hi Emile--

I am using the SRC-DX with ComeTrue USB driver and looking forward to joy the same experience of the USB driver upgrade performed on other DAC's.

I hope that Emile makes this dream comes true soon for all us using this Chord DAVE via the SRC-DX and I know we are many Extreme users with this setup.

Thanks!

M27HF

Dec 11, 2019
Hi Emile--

+1 for sure

Johnny Moondog

Oct 30, 2014
Count me in. Another happy Extreme DAVE SRC-DX owner who would love to experience the new OS and XDMS with a Taiko custom USB driver. Hope that's a possibility!

Last edited:

SaiteiMan

Jun 9, 2020
Hi Emile--

+1

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
I see this is causing some confusion. The 75% that has been mentioned (which is just a ballpark estimate) is what works for any Extreme. Then there is an updated USB driver, which we could refer to as the remaining 25% of the update, which is somewhat DAC specific, and the part we are working on now. This part is based on improving our own USB driver, which has never worked with the Dave (Amanero) and only works well with XMOS and U-hear based USB controllers. We have added the ComTrue before, but it did not work as expected (did not sound better, in fact worse). We can look into adding it again as our knowledge has significantly progressed, but the same thing might happen.

The impressions the first beta testers posted are all about the "first 75%", so Dave users will all get that performance delta.

Last edited:

Kris

Mar 4, 2019
Early days, let's see how it develops over the weekend.
I had similar issues like Rainer and having totaldac 24.
Most of the time it was to harsh / extreme clear .
I was able to soften it with many different things in Ethernet path ( switches, power supplys).

The idea of having 2 or 3 diffeent setups A and B ( or even C) for the USB is great.
I hope Emile will decide to have that Switching option to all of us.

Reactions: Muni

alwayslearning

Jan 13, 2011
Thanks for the clarification, Emile. Good to know that the 75% that everyone can get has resulted in such great improvements. And also good to know that there are no guarantees with regard to the ComTrue driver. But we surely appreciate another try by Taiko with new and different knowledge of how these things work.

oldmustang

Dec 1, 2012
I had similar issues like Rainer and having totaldac 24.
Most of the time it was to harsh / extreme clear .
I was able to soften it with many different things in Ethernet path ( switches, power supplys).

The idea of having 2 or 3 diffeent setups A and B ( or even C) for the USB is great.
I hope Emile will decide to have that Switching option to all of us.
The USB drivers now reside on the Extreme desktop. Right clicking on a driver (USB1, USB2, USB3 etc) opens a box asking if you want to run the script with Powershell. Clicking on yes will install the selected driver and reboot the Extreme.

Steve Z

Last edited:

oldmustang

Dec 1, 2012
The USB drivers will now reside on the Extreme desktop. Right clicking on a driver (USB1, USB2, USB3 etc) opens a box asking if you want to run the script with Powershell. Clicking on yes will install the selected driver and reboot the Extreme.

Steve Z
If Emile and Ed and company implement the USB driver selection switch from XDMS (similar in idea to what TAS offers for switching between Direct, Batch and HQPlayer) that would be even easiler. But it's pretty simple right now, too.

Steve Z

Alex G

Feb 1, 2021
California
Hi Emile--

+1

simorag

Sep 14, 2017
Florence, Italy
Re: Watching and listening YouTube content with the Extreme

I find YouTube and immensely useful resource to learn about music, musicians etc., I daily use it and discover historical footages, documentaries, audio-related channels etc.
Audio quality is of course far from audiophile - level, but not too terrible either in many cases.

In my current setup I use a (now discontinued) Chromecast Audio dongle, plugged in my DAC via optical, open YT within Chrome and send the audio to the Chromecast via WiFi while whatching the video on my laptop.

As the Extreme is a Windows-based server, my question is: can I ditch the Chromecast, and do the above by using the Extreme itself, i.e. by opening a Windows Remote Desktop (or VNC, or Teamviewer, ....) remote session on it from my laptop, open Chrome on the Extreme and sending the audio to the DAC via USB directly?

Last edited:
Reactions: christoph

ctydwn

Aug 23, 2019
Thanks Emile for answering so many questions and requests. Truly mind boggling the number of variables involved bw hardware, software, musical preferences etc. In addition to gym and coffee, be sure to eat as well! And we know your showers are legendary too.

Reactions: MusicFellow

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
Re: Watching and listening YouTube content with the Extreme

I find YouTube and immensely useful resource to learn about music, musicians etc., I daily use it and discover historical footages, documentaries, audio-related channels etc.
Audio quality is of course far from audiophile - level, but not too terrible either in many cases.

In my current setup I use a (now discontinued) Chromecast Audio dongle, plugged in my DAC via optical, open YT within Chrome and send the audio to the Chromecast via WiFi while whatching the video on my laptop.

As the Extreme is a Windows-based server, my question is: can I ditch the Chromecast, and do the above by using the Extreme itself, i.e. by opening a Windows Remote Desktop (or VNC, or Teamviewer, ....) remote session on it from my laptop, open Chrome on the Extreme and sending the audio to the DAC via USB directly?

Cannot be done right now but we are looking into solutions to route the output of your ipad to the Extreme.

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
Thanks Emile for answering so many questions and requests. Truly mind boggling the number of variables involved bw hardware, software, musical preferences etc. In addition to gym and coffee, be sure to eat as well! And we know your showers are legendary too.

Thank you for the kind words, much appreciated!

I would like to express though that all of this is no longer a single individual show/achievement. We have the team here at Taiko Audio, a rather significant amount of outsourced labour, by now over 2 dozen engineers working on new projects most of which are releasing this year , we have Wilson and the software developers who can now discard a significant amount of work and partially start over because of recent discoveries, and we have people like forum member @audioquattr who alone spend countless hours relentlessly listening to, evaluating and analysing what would not surprise me to be over a hundred permutations of the last 2 software updates, and of course all the forum members who are evaluating the DAC specific USB optimisations right now.

Last edited:

ctydwn

Aug 23, 2019
Thank you for the kind words, much appreciated!

I would like to express though that all of this is no longer a single individual show/achievement. We have the team here at Taiko Audio, a rather significant amount of outsourced labour, by now over 2 dozen engineers working on new projects most of which are releasing this year , we have Wilson and the software developers who can now discard a significant amount of work and partially start over because of recent discoveries, and we have people like forum member @audioquattr who alone spend countless hours relentlessly listening to, evaluating and analysing what would not surprise me to be over a hundred permutations of the last 2 software updates, and of course all the forum members who are evaluating the DAC specific USB optimisations right now.
absolutely Emile! My comment was mainly just thinking of you re: the upcoming 16 hour day SW rollout you are planning and making sure to eat ;). And most definitely incredible what the whole team (and beta tester community) is creating and I imagine you all have a deeply shared passion. Would be cool to learn more about all the team members down the road. Hope everyone takes care as well and recharges their engines. Can’t imagine a more exciting place to work in the field w visionary leadership.

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
Update:
A clear picture is emerging from the DAC USB implementation tests, it is strictly technical, no listener preference involved. We can now with very high accuracy predict which USB interface needs to be driven in what way, in the future we can look into autoconfiguring the driver depending on the DAC connected, but that will be a substantial coding effort, so for now we will give you profiles to load, and a recommendation of which profile to load for your DAC, if you inform us ahead of the update we can pre-load the appropriate profile for you.

Another note is that it will be impossible for me to reply to all e-mails, pms, texts and whatsapp messages in a timely fashion, just reading them all would probably take me several days. I fully understand the desire to have this update applied before monday but it's just impossible. I will post the procedure here on this forum and copy/paste the same reply to as many messages as possible when I have a few spare hours. This is not my preferred approach at all, but mandatory to make the start of the rollout possible on monday.

MusicFellow

Jan 3, 2022
Update:
A clear picture is emerging from the DAC USB implementation tests, it is strictly technical, no listener preference involved. We can now with very high accuracy predict which USB interface needs to be driven in what way, in the future we can look into autoconfiguring the driver depending on the DAC connected, but that will be a substantial coding effort, so for now we will give you profiles to load, and a recommendation of which profile to load for your DAC, if you inform us ahead of the update we can pre-load the appropriate profile for you.

Another note is that it will be impossible for me to reply to all e-mails, pms, texts and whatsapp messages in a timely fashion, just reading them all would probably take me several days. I fully understand the desire to have this update applied before monday but it's just impossible. I will post the procedure here on this forum and copy/paste the same reply to as many messages as possible when I have a few spare hours. This is not my preferred approach at all, but mandatory to make the start of the rollout possible on monday.
Thanks so much for the outstanding support!

I think it‘s more than fine for us users to be able to wait a week or two until all the eager early birds a fed with the upgrade. We are grown-ups … although we feel like right before unpacking those Christmas presents back when we were kids. :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing