-Totaldac - USB1 or USB3 - Roon 24-bit

-Trinity 1st gen model - USB1 or USB3 - Roon 24-bit

-Trinity Reference

-Vinnie Rossi L2 - USB4 - Roon 32-bit

-Vitus - USB4 - Roon 32-bit

-Wadax Reference - USB3 - Roon 24-bit

-Weiss DAC-501

-Ypsilon 1000 - USB4 - Roon 32-bit

very strong correlation between 24-bit and usb3 (small buffer), 32-bit and larger buffers

totaldac here, so i'm on the 24-bit/small buffer first class car of this train

audioquattr

VIP/Donor
Sep 7, 2016
Netherlands
Update from part two of my tests - the various USB Driver configurations.

As has already been pointed out earlier in thread - the biggest part of SQ improvement comes via a general OS configuration update.

Then there is a USB Driver config change that will yield an incremental improvement on top of the OS configuration change.

Based on my experience - both OS configuration change and the USB Driver config change impact all bit-depths and sample rates and also both streamed and locally stored music :).

For the second part of my test, I used test tracks ranging from 16/44, 24/96, 24/192 and DSD256 - the latter was stored on Extreme the previous all streamed via Qobuz. The buffer sizes and the max # bits/sample affect timing and hence relevant to test with different bitstreams.

In my system (results will be DAC-dependent) these are the results.

View attachment 89200

SQ 1 was a clear best in my system to my ears.

SQ2 and SQ3 are much closer (SQ3 is == to the general OS Configuration mentioned at start of post).

After having spent a 'a few hours' doing these (rather simple) configuration tests I realize the incredible effort that Taiko Team must have spent exploring a gazillion number of test configurations in order to help all of us get best possible SQ. Big KUDOS!

I had some initial problems switching between the different USB Configs but after @Taiko Audio fixed the error it was easy to conduct the test - it took about 3m to switch between the USB configs and only 10s to switch the Roon setting.

I remain amazed at the SQ improvement from OS config change + USB config change - it is like a new system!

I look forward to the continued collaboration with @Taiko Audio on the journey toward SQ nirvana...

Good job Nils!

Last edited:

oldmustang

Dec 1, 2012
Reactions: Kawero

oldmustang

Dec 1, 2012
This evening I've been listening in enjoyment mode rather than the analysis mode of the last couple of days. All I can say is my appreciation of the magic Emile has worked is even more profound. Every familiar and unfamiliar track, regardless of source, resolution or genre has been so emotionally involving and moving that I had to stop for a minute to come up for air.

As Steve W and Bob have both alluded this may be the biggest step-change improvement I've ever heard in my system. If not strictly in sound quality terms most certainly in emotional terms.

One example -- the background harmonizing on Chance The Rapper's "Summer Friends" is so rich, so deep, so nuanced and textured you could spread it on bread, while Chance and his guests are literally in the room when they take turns rapping on the idea of summer friends. I was so enthralled I had to go back and play it through again just to let the music wash over and through me.

Thanks so very very much!

Steve Z

IMG_2071.png

SwissTom

Sep 30, 2021
In a few weeks, I will receive my Taiko Extreme.

Taiko recommends using a dedicated mains line for its server.

I have two dedicated mains lines.

For each line, I have two wall sockets, star wired.

My system is :

- Soulution 760 DAC
- Soulution 711 amplifier

So I have three connection options :

- Taiko alone
- 760 and 711 together

- Taiko and 760
- 711 alone

- Taiko and 711
- 760 alone

The logic would be to have the 711 amplifier alone as it requires the most current.

What do you recommend?

By the way, the quality of Taiko Audio's service is outstanding.
Moreover, Emile seems to be a very nice person.

I am looking forward to receiving the server! :)

Christiaan Punter

My system is :

- Soulution 760 DAC

- Taiko alone
- 760 and 711 together

- Taiko and 760
- 711 alone

- Taiko and 711
- 760 alone

The logic would be to have the 711 amplifier alone as it requires the most current.

What do you recommend?

Current is one factor, another is that source/DAC/Amp products can sound more coherent when plugged into the same outlet. From my own experience with CH products, assuming you use the 760's digital volume control, I would suggest this option:

- Taiko alone
- 760 and 711 together

But ultimately, my advice is always to simply try all the options and let your ears decide:)

audioquattr

VIP/Donor
Sep 7, 2016
Netherlands

My system is :

- Soulution 760 DAC

- Taiko alone
- 760 and 711 together

- Taiko and 760
- 711 alone

- Taiko and 711
- 760 alone

What do you recommend?

I also use 2 dedicated main lines for my system.
I tried everything and prefer to have the Extreme on a seperate line.

My vote:

- Taiko alone
- 760 and 711 together

And no ethernet-switch to the mainsystem powerline. And the switch not grounded. Most are not.

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
I spend all morning answering e-mails, if you are waiting for a reply to an e-mail from before about 4 hours ago I have missed it.

For entertainment value I'll share my unread e-mail counts from this morning and now:

email1.JPG

email2.JPG

The update will start as planned tomorrow morning 8:00 CEST (Amsterdam time). You can e-mail your teamviewer details and Extreme serial number and/or ip address to contact@taikoaudio.com and I will personally perform all updates in a serial fashion ;)

The following things will significantly speed up the update process:

1) VNC into the Extreme, start teamviewer by clicking the icon located on it's desktop and send me a screenshot.
2) Unplug your DAC USB cable (that saves one reboot).

I do reserve the right to postpone updates where I end up spending too much time on setting up a teamviewer connection, for example teamviewing into an Apple system where security&access rights have not been set, where I end up staring at a black screen, that will cost about as much time as updating 10 extremes with a direct desktop connection, so I will probably move those to late Tuesday or Wednesday. Potentially we can have all Extremes updated by Wednesday.

I will from now on also no longer reply to premature installation requests :)

wil

Jul 22, 2015
I had some initial problems switching between the different USB Configs but after @Taiko Audio fixed the error it was easy to conduct the test - it took about 3m to switch between the USB configs and only 10s to switch the Roon setting.
Was your problem getting Roon to find the Extreme Core after the USB switch? I found that after switching the USB config and the Server restart that I have to:

-Close Roon
-Go to the Taiko Control Panel (where I see Extreme is back on TAS)
- Switch back to Roon

I'm assuming this is normal? And the USB config has changed as wanted?

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
I spend all morning answering e-mails, if you are waiting for a reply to an e-mail from before about 4 hours ago I have missed it.

For entertainment value I'll share my unread e-mail counts from this morning and now:

View attachment 89222

View attachment 89223

The update will start as planned tomorrow morning 8:00 CEST (Amsterdam time). You can e-mail your teamviewer details and Extreme serial number and/or ip address to contact@taikoaudio.com and I will personally perform all updates in a serial fashion ;)

1) VNC into the Extreme, start teamviewer by clicking the icon located on it's desktop and send me a screenshot.

I do reserve the right to postpone updates where I end up spending too much time on setting up a teamviewer connection, for example teamviewing into an Apple system where security&access rights have not been set, where I end up staring at a black screen, that will cost about as much time as updating 10 extremes with a direct desktop connection, so I will probably move those to late Tuesday or Wednesday. Potentially we can have all Extremes updated by Wednesday.

Hi Emile

Can u remove TAS as well during the update?

Also aren't u on CET now, not CEST?

Last edited:

austinpop

May 23, 2017
Austin, TX

View attachment 89222

View attachment 89223

Emile,

Couple of extra clarifications to get ready.

1) For those of us currently using fiber into the Extreme, do you want us to switch to copper (Ethernet) beforehand, or is it ok to do it after the update?
2) Will the use case Roon > HQPlayer > NAA > DAC still be supported in an optimal way? This is to support Qobuz streaming on DAVE and other DACs that benefit from PCM upsampling.

wil

Jul 22, 2015
Emile,

1) For those of us currently using fiber into the Extreme, do you want us to switch to copper (Ethernet) beforehand, or is it ok to do it after the update?
2) Will the use case Roon > HQPlayer > NAA > DAC still be supported in an optimal way? This is to support Qobuz streaming on DAVE and other DACs that benefit from PCM upsampling.
I use fiber into the Extreme (and copper from Ext to DAC).

Did I miss a post somewhere that advises not to use fiber with the update?

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
Emile,

1) Does not matter, you can make up your own mind on which you prefer, my preference may not equal yours, I don't think any of the beta testers have preferred fiber, but YMMV.
2) Edit: rephrase, HQPlayer falls outside of the scope of this upgrade, you will still have an increase in sound quality when using it, but I would strongly suggest comparing it to Roon direct, with or without Roon upsampling, make sure you close it when not using it.

Last edited:

wil

Jul 22, 2015
So Emile has 797 things going on, right?
Literally 791 emails in one morning!
There has NEVER been support like this from any company in any industry. It's almost hard to believe...pinch me, I must be dreaming all of this!!!!!!!
Fortunately, Emile is a nice and patient guy.

Just remember, he could have been this guy!

Attachments

• No Update for You!.jpeg
    No Update for You!.jpeg
    26.9 KB · Views: 8

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Literally 791 emails in one morning!

Fortunately, Emile is a nice and patient guy.

Just remember, he could have been this guy!
I got a kick out of the 797 emails that Emile showed. I knew he must have had a gazillion emails and pulled the 791 our of the air the other day. Too bad I wasn't playing "The Price is Right":)

Kawero

Jan 24, 2022
Just wow. Got newest usb6 version with some Emile magic.
What can I say? All other versions sound like kindergeburtstag vs this.
Such a step forward in musicality! 1644786775596.png

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing