Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

cat6man

Feb 6, 2013
west of NYC, east of SF
@all Totaldac + Extreme owners, we are shipping our reclocker to Vincent for a modification and get the above mentioned upgrade while it’s there. I’m 98% sure this will enable the usage of a Totaldac with our new USB card, and the potential improvement the upgrade itself provides sounds promising.

my two favorite designers get together to improve my system...........love it!

@Emile:
"shipping it"? you're not driving to France, visiting Mont Saint-Michel while Vincent upgrades the unit, then rushing back?
:cool::cool::cool:

i'm very much looking forward to your review of the upgraded re-clocker.

p.s. I've had zero problems with the new USB card feeding my totaldac re-clocker/d1-direct via a sablon usb cable

Reactions: cmarin

kswanson27

Nov 21, 2018
That is interesting, I’ll try my reclocker with a Sablon before shipping it to France.
I use a Sablon USB cable and you know my results!

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
If anyone is interested in my reel to digital transfers of “Low Spark of High-Heeled Boys” and/or “Electric Ladyland” send me a PM and I will send you a Dropbox link. Both reels were transferred to DSD and then converted to 24/192 PCM.

Here is the lineage of the transfers:

Transfer of master safety copy reel
15 ips - IEC Equalization - No Dolby

Transfer information:
Reel played back on Technics RS-1500 with wired-out Flux Magnetics Head> Doshi Audio Tape Pre-amp> Korg MR-1000(DSF [1-bit 5.6448 MHz Stereo])

Editing and tracking:
DSD converted to 24/192 wav using AudioGate 2.3.4
Tracking performed in Adobe Audition CC 2015

DoctorWhy

Dec 5, 2020
Have any of you folks tried to remove an SFP (Planet MGB-TLX in my case) from the optical port on the Extreme? Any luck?

I find the orientation of the internal board/cage to be such that inserting the SFP leaves it very "tight" to one side of the casework.

The net result of which is you cannot open the bail to pull out the transceiver. The bail position controls the small tab which secures the device into the receiver cage...and allows removal.

Am I missing some key action for SFP removal? I realized it was a tight fit when inserting the SFP, but it did not occur to me it would be so tight, that I would be unable to open the bail for removal.

Any solutions in the crowd? Thank you...
I ran into this issue this AM. I just pushed the lever a little harder while pulling out the SFP.

Reactions: Taiko Audio

cmarin

VIP/Donor
Jul 16, 2011
Texas
Is that a 2020 model?
Hi Emile,
If it will help, my Sablon Panatela Reserva USB cable was purchased 12/2020 and is installed in the following configuration:
Extreme->Sablon USB->totaldac d1-reclocker->(1) XLR->totaldac d1-reclocker (series) -> (2) XLR-> parallel mono totaldac d1-12 mkII DACs-> (2) XLR-> parallel mono totaldac d1-drivers-> (2) XLR -> parallel mono CH Precision L1 preamps -> (2) XLR-> parallel mono totaldac AMP-1s.

cat6man

Feb 6, 2013
west of NYC, east of SF
Hi Emile,
If it will help, my Sablon Panatela Reserva USB cable was purchased 12/2020 and is installed in the following configuration:
Extreme->Sablon USB->totaldac d1-reclocker->(1) XLR->totaldac d1-reclocker (series) -> (2) XLR-> parallel mono totaldac d1-12 mkII DACs-> (2) XLR-> parallel mono totaldac d1-drivers-> (2) XLR -> parallel mono CH Precision L1 preamps -> (2) XLR-> parallel mono totaldac AMP-1s.

Mine is extreme via sablon usb to d1-reclocker, then aes/ebu to d1-direct DAC. Both have live-power supplies.

From dac, xlr output to T2-george stax headphone amp as well as single ended output to Pass Labs pre-amp.
(Sometimes I reverse them)

Mobiusman

May 24, 2010
Jersey Shore- waterside
I know the USB board for the Extreme is old news on this site, but I just got mine yesterday and after a bit of who knows what, it began to work late yesterday after doing something, that I am not aware of and now I can listen to Roon and TAS, albeit with less than 24 hours of program material going through the board. I expected great things, because that's what has always happend since I got my Extreme and Emile or Ed do something to it, BUT I am really pleased with even the first 24 hour improvements. Instantly the bass and mid-bass is much better, with greater depth, faster attack and quicker decay.

As the first working day is coming to an end, I am drop jawed with the increase in depth, naturalness, increase in subtle detail on everything I listen to regardless of recording quality. I just wanted to offer my recognition of this achievement and can't wait to see what it turns into in 150 hours.

Bravo Emile, Ed and team.

DoctorWhy

Dec 5, 2020
If you think the new USB board was a great sonic value, you really should consider this.
I am now offering a custom front plate for the Taiko Extreme, appropriately called "The DWE" (Dead Woodchuck Edition) for only $2000.

View attachment 76802

You simply won't believe how much better it makes the Extreme sound! In addition, it now brings the WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor) of your system to a new all time low, which we're told some folks really like because it greatly facilitates their listening privacy. PayPal adds 2.5%.
I really want this face plate, and at $2000 it is a TOTAL STEAL! I am, however, concerned that this new faceplate will requite the video drivers to operate and degrade the SQ? Have you done any testing? Is there a work-around......;-)

DoctorWhy

Dec 5, 2020
Hold on, I need to put on my safety glasses first....
"...Must...push....the shiny ....red .....BUTTON!" Ren and Stimpy

ray-dude

Dec 8, 2019
I ran into this issue this AM. I just pushed the lever a little harder while pulling out the SFP.

I had a lot of trouble one time. I ended up opening the top and removing the card so I could get to it more easily (just could not get leverage on the lever)

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
It is simple.
1 is good
2 are better than 1
3 are great
4 are best
Why not 8? 24? Are they redundant or purposeful in your topology?

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
Mine is extreme via sablon usb to d1-reclocker, then aes/ebu to d1-direct DAC. Both have live-power supplies.

You are the only one having it operational, atleast I don’t think @Kris has the stock reclocker input working but that is not entirely clear. I don’t think it has anything to do with the Sablon considering the other feedback, and I don’t see how it could have a meaningful impact on this “issue” to start with.

Last edited:

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Oops! Limited damage I hope? So did you compare 1 versus 2 now?
I missed your meaning yesterday and no I only compared the 2 M12s vs no M12s. It's too much of a rats nest to mess with and as long as I have the two of them I'm just going to keep both in. I also feed off of the second one to the Aurender N20 and I KNOW that the 2 M12's help the Aurender even more than they help the Extreme.

Kris

Mar 4, 2019
Why not 8? 24? Are they redundant or purposeful in your topology?
I have 4 of them only.
But friend of mine is selling 2 standard Buffalows so I will get them soon.
As far as I remember Nenon tested upto 6 of them and they were still better Than 5.
So you might be on a good way if you are thinking to get 8 or 24 of them.

I suspect it is like reclocking. I have 3 TotalDAC reclockers . I can play with 1 but why should I if with 3 is better ?

Reactions: cmarin

kswanson27

Nov 21, 2018
You are the only one having it operational, atleast I don’t think @Kris has the stock reclocker input working but that is not entirely clear. I don’t think it has anything to do with the Sablon considering the other feedback, and I don’t see how it could have a meaningful impact on this “issue” to start with.
I've tried the Sablon, a Shunyata and a Blue Jeans (Belden) USB cables from the Extreme to the reclocker with no success.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing