Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

oldmustang

Dec 1, 2012
For people with multi PCI storage cards is the storage configured as a single logical drive or multiple?
I have two PCIe NVMe cards. My C: drive is the SSD card; the two NVMe cards are configured as the D: drive for music storage.

Steve Z

oldmustang

Dec 1, 2012
Steve - Really enjoyed the tracks you recommended, and created a Qobuz playlist to share. If you have others to recommend, I will gladly add them. Post here or use Direct Message.

DJ Mustang
Not to interrupt all this tech talk and cruelty to woodchucks with music, but here is another (partial) batch of music I've been loving via the Taiko USB card-equipped Extreme:

IMG_1701.png IMG_1702.png IMG_1705.png IMG_1706.png IMG_1708.png IMG_1709.png IMG_1710.png

Part 2 to follow.

Steve Z

Reactions: Taiko Audio

oldmustang

Dec 1, 2012
Part 2 of music appreciation:

IMG_1711.png IMG_1712.png IMG_1713.png IMG_1714.png IMG_1715.png IMG_1716.png
IMG_1717.png

Hope there are some selections folks like.

Steve Z

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
Very interested in a Sotm vs Buffalo test if manageable to execute.
I can't do that comparison but spent last night doing the more obvious one- an SoTM switch vs no switch.

The switch I use is an upgraded sNH-10G with the upgraded sCLK clock/7N silver/EVOX caps.
The comparison involved an assessment of both the switch and a companion LPS. The stock SoTM LPS is the sPS 500.
To cut to the chase, The Extreme/USB board with the switch as per above was a miniscule benefit that I'm not sure I could pick out reliably in a blinded comparison. But the more interesting comparator was using the switch with a modest, custom LPS that I've found quite a bit better than the stock SoTM LPS. Its a very inexpensive Chinese LPS that appears to be OEM'd by one manufacturer but might come with several names on the box. Mine says "BreezHiFi" but there are others the key is to order these with an upgraded Talema transformer. This will set you back all of $118 (the stock version is about $68!). I use a few of these LPS units. They're cheap but appear to be nicely made and have been quite reliable. (I discovered a while ago that they provide a nice benefit when they replaced any wall wart power supply plugged in my system. I was surprised just how pernicious those little things really are even if the are only used to control peripheral devices i.e. lighting. infrared repeaters, etc. Who knew?).

Bottom line- the sNH-10G plus "Talema" BreezHiFi LPS stays. It's a small but welcome uptick for me vs. no switch at all. YMMV. One take away from this exercise is appreciating that the conclusions others may have for their switch preferences are in fact based on their switches AND the LPS that comes with it.

Here's one of several similar ads on Ebay that all appear mostly identical:

Last edited:

austinpop

May 23, 2017
Austin, TX
Very interested in a Sotm vs Buffalo test if manageable to execute.

Emile, only because you asked, I revisited this.

In short, the USB card has done nothing to change the relative SQ of switches and switch chains, since my last analysis of the subject here:

Here is the ranking of SQ, from best to worst:
1. No network. Last switch to Extreme powered off
2. Full monty chain of 3 switches
3. Modded Buffalo
4. SOtM and eR (tie)
5. opticalModule
6. direct attach from router (copper. 2-5 above are fiber to Extreme).

EuroDriver

Sep 16, 2015
Monaco

In short, the USB card has done nothing to change the relative SQ of switches and switch chains, since my last analysis of the subject here:

3. Modded Buffalo
4. SOtM and eR (tie)
5. opticalModule
Now we need to re - run this evaluation with a XMOS 2 USB DAC ;-)

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States

3. Modded Buffalo
4. SOtM and eR (tie)
5. opticalModule
austinpop,
I'm confused. When you say " the USB card has done nothing to change the relative SQ of switches and switch chains,".....
are you saying that since receiving your USB board (~2 weeks ago?) you've done all these tests and your rankings are unchanged?

Or are your rankings conjecture only and have not been validated with the new USB board in the Extreme?
Marty

Last edited:

austinpop

May 23, 2017
Austin, TX
austinpop,
I'm confused. When you say " the USB card has done nothing to change the relative SQ of switches and switch chains,".....
are you saying that since receiving your USB board (~2 weeks ago?) you've done all these tests and your rankings are unchanged?

Or are your rankings conjecture only and have not been validated with the new USB board in the Extreme?
Marty

Emile asked me to revisit these tests based on his own experience that the new USB card changed the impact of his network topology. So this set of tests was done with the new USB card deployed. Yes, a fair bit of work, but I am always happy to help when Emile asks for it.

When I said " the USB card has done nothing to change the relative SQ of switches and switch chains," I meant relative to the last time I did these tests in September (my AS post), when I was using the builtin USB port.

So this must be system specific, as on my chain, the relative SQ of different switch topologies has not changed with the installation of the new USB card.

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
Thank you @austinpop

Still very limited feedback:

Impact of network configuration unchanged:
1x Chord Dave - Amanero - Chord driver - HQPlayer - Fiber

Impact of network configuration reduced:
2x Lampizator Pacific - XMOS 2 - Taiko driver - TAS - copper
1x Lampizator Pacific - XMOS 2 - Taiko driver - Roon - copper
1x Pilium Elektra - XMOS 2 - Taiko driver - TAS - copper
1x MSB Select - XMOS 2 - Taiko driver - TAS - copper

If anybody else is willing to take the effort to add their experience, it would be much appreciated.

Last edited:

wil

Jul 22, 2015
Thank you, austinpop for your yeoman's work in testing all these network permutations.

My initial takeaway is that simply turning off the last switch and so mostly ( or completely?) eliminating the influence of the network is better (in your Chord DAC system).

That is, the full monty of modded switches and expensive power supplies is made superfluous by "simply" turning off the last switch.

As I understand, at present, the only way play network free files through Extreme/TAS is from local files, not streamed? Do I have that right, Taiko team?

cat6man

Feb 6, 2013
west of NYC, east of SF
Thank you @austinpop

If anybody else is willing to take the effort to add their experience, it would be much appreciated.

hopefully i'm not being too pedantic, but i'm not sure how to interpret the above.

it seems to me that austinpop is saying the relative ordering of the networking options has not changed in his system. that does not necessarily contradict the statement that the impact of network configuration is reduced.

@austinpop: do i have this correct? in other words, is the benefit of your networking of a similar magnitude as with the old usb connection? has the new usb card reduced the delta between the various network options? lastly, can you place your old reference (full monty with old usb) in comparison with any of the new usb card options?

Reactions: kennyb123

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Thank you @austinpop

For the group that falls under “Impact...reduced” does that mean that people had switches in place prior to installing the USB card and now they feel that removing the switches does not result in any or very little degradation of sound? Also, are some of these situations for people who don’t post here?

I will be able to add a data point for the “Lampizator Pacific - XMOS - taiko driver - TAS - copper” by the end of the weekend.

nuway

Jun 26, 2019
Certainly Emile, happy to oblige.

My original plan was simply to compare "basic connection" with "full monty 3-switch chain," but I'll now add 2 more test scenarios. So the test will now compare Extreme (with new USB card) SQ, when the network path is:

1. Basic connection:
Upstream > Supra Cat 8 > Sonore opticalModule > Finisar SFP > Extreme
2. Single switch - modded Buffalo:
Upstream > Supra Cat 8 > modded Buffalo > Finisar SFP > Extreme
3. Single switch - SOtM:
Upstream > Supra Cat 8 > SOtM > Finisar SFP > Extreme
4. Full Monty 3-switch stack:
Upstream > Supra Cat 8 > (A) eR (A) > Sablon Eth > modded Buffalo > Planet SFP > sNH-10g > Finisar SFP > Extreme

To clarify: my "modded Buffalo" is a Buffalo BS-GS2016 switch, modded to remove the internal SMPS and be powered by an external LPS. It also has a cap board of @nenon 's own design. This unit does not have a PF OCXO clock.
austinpop, Thank You for taking your time and sharing all these data. I've noticed above that you mixed SFP: Planet on the Buffalo and Finisar on the Sotm, Is that correct? Which SFP are you using on the Extreme?
For me, the best results are Finisar on the Extreme and Planet on the OM.

nuway

Jun 26, 2019
Finally, I could installed the USB Card two days ago, Emile assisted me recreating a new pool due to the removal of Intel drives in slot 5. Honestly, I did not expect my system could sound any better when I had TAS installed, but yes, the New USB Card add layers of improvement I did not hear before, a much more relaxed music with better dynamics. much noticeable on the high band.
During the setup, I could play some fave tracks with and without the switches connected and did not noticed any sound degradation. I will revisited after 200 of burn in.

Reactions: oldmustang

austinpop

May 23, 2017
Austin, TX
@austinpop: do i have this correct? in other words, is the benefit of your networking of a similar magnitude as with the old usb connection? has the new usb card reduced the delta between the various network options? lastly, can you place your old reference (full monty with old usb) in comparison with any of the new usb card options?

Please don't read too much into my conclusions!

As I've tried to make clear several times on this thread, I'm done with network tweaks. If you've followed the "Novel" thread over on AS, I've spent years chasing network optimizations with the goal of achieving SQ parity of streaming music with local content. Switches, clocks, PSUs — you name it, I've tried them all. Every time I've gotten close, someone moved my cheese. :) I've decided to abandon this Sisyphean endeavor, and just do the simplest thing possible: turn off the network. It gives me the best SQ every time!

As for streaming, I use it now only for discovery, and for that Roon/HQP is just fine. Anything I like enough to enage me, I buy. The stack of switches I have now is just a legacy.

It is against this backdrop that Emile introduced the idea that his changes on the USB side of the chain were inoculating him from the impact of the network side of the chain. Moreover, he thought the relative benefit of specific switches had shifted. That was intriguing enough for me to test on my system, and this is what led to this round of switch tests.

Bottom line: in my system, I don't experience either of these effects. The improvements due to the USB card, considerable as they are, neither increase nor reduce the impact of changes on the network side. And the relative SQ of the various switches is the same as before.

Emile thinks this may be related to the USB chipset in the DAVE (Amanero) vs. XMOS. It's an intriguing hypothesis, and I look forward to any further insights he uncovers.

ray-dude

Dec 8, 2019
The other wrinkle here is whether the Extreme is isolated on a subnet. I have not yet revisited this with the new USB card, but will try this weekend.

Previously, I heard a huge impact with the Extreme on its own subnet (not exposed to traffic from the rest of the network). With TAS downloading streaming content prior to playback, this had a huge impact on SQ for me. There was VERY slight difference with network on or off, but it could have been wishful thinking.

I too have an opticalModule on a remote switchable outlet. This weekend I'll give a listen to local music with network, and local music with oM powered down.

That being said, @austinpop setup is a better indication of how sensitive the Extreme + USB card is to network traffic. I suspect the 5 examples Emile cites above probably aren't isolating subnets. My subnet strategy basically sidesteps the network question by isolating my Extreme from all network traffic that is not routed to it (it is the only device on the subnet), while in Rajiv's set up, his system is be exposed to all the network traffic on his home network (even though it is passed through a stack of switches).

austinpop

May 23, 2017
Austin, TX
austinpop, Thank You for taking your time and sharing all these data. I've noticed above that you mixed SFP: Planet on the Buffalo and Finisar on the Sotm, Is that correct? Which SFP are ywheou using on the Extreme?
For me, the best results are Finisar on the Extreme and Planet on the OM.

Apologies if I confused you there! I have a pair of each transceiver deployed. So when I say:

Upstream > Supra Cat 8 > (A) eR (A) > Sablon Eth > modded Buffalo > Planet SFP > sNH-10g > Finisar SFP > Extreme

That means:
- I have a pair of Planet Tech MGB-TLX transceivers, one in the Buffalo's SFP slot, the other in the SOtM's SFP slot, and
- a pair of Finisar FTLF1324 transceivers, one in the other SOtM SFP slot, and the other in the Extreme fiber card's SFP slot.

Hope that clarifies matters?

Reactions: nuway

nuway

Jun 26, 2019
Apologies if I confused you there! I have a pair of each transceiver deployed. So when I say:

That means:
- I have a pair of Planet Tech MGB-TLX transceivers, one in the Buffalo's SFP slot, the other in the SOtM's SFP slot, and
- a pair of Finisar FTLF1324 transceivers, one in the other SOtM SFP slot, and the other in the Extreme fiber card's SFP slot.

Hope that clarifies matters?
Yes, Thank You for the Clarifications!

Kris

Mar 4, 2019
I recall Emile saying that his M12 switch was not beneficial in his system with the TAS/new USB set up. Bob (Rhapsody) reported the same after TAS.

Kris, who has a seriously tricked out set-up (with multiple switches, clocks, power supplies), reported they still improve his sq after TAS. I don't think he's said if that's still the case after the USB card? I'd be curious to know about that. I believe Markus Barkus also has a clock-modded Buffalo switch...

I have a Melco switch with nice Sean Jacob power supply and am looking forward to comparing with and without now.

My USB card is not fully burned in . 4 days only and it is still improving.
It is a true game changer for my system. I love the SQ improvement.
Thanks to Emile, Edward and all from Taiko Team!

In regards to Buffalows 2016 I tested it yesterday and I must say they still do the job !
yes my 2 Buffalows are fully moded with Pink Faun ultra clocks , 2 are Nenon moded with Mundorf siver gold DC wire.
Aall is powered by SJ DC4 rails (Nenon mode with Mundorf siver gold internal wireing).

I also have Router that I moded with Pink Faun ultra clock and modem that has PF ulta clock Installed.
Every single thing is still making noticable positive difference .

As Austinpop mentioned full stack of switches ( 4 Buffalo 2016 in my case) is the best .
The only better thing is to disconnect the last switch after starting the music.
But be aware your Pink Faiun ultra clock should never be turned off !
It takes upto 2 days to have full performance once disconnected.
So if you test it , please disconnect the Buffalo 2016 swich power off and keep its clock powered at all times. This is just to make sure the others are not using wrong methodology when testing.

As a side not not only the streaming is improved . The local files playback is also much better with stack of switches and good power supplys.

So as few of us already mentioned including Emile it will alwasy be noticable change once you add
someting to the chain.

As I dont trust myself when it comes to „first impressions” and I love testing ,
I am planning to redo this switch tests in a week when usb card is fully broken.
I predict it will still be important to keep them. I would prefer to say they are not important
and sell all Buffalows but it is impossible.
I thik this will be possible when Emile decides to create the Taiko Network card that will be as good as the USB is.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing