Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
I think it depends on the configuration. I will let Emile correct me if I mis-speak here.

Unscrew screw on top plate and remove. Of course turn of the power to the Extreme.

To get the best sound you want the new usb card in the pci 5 slot. BUT my SS drive was in the pci5 slot.

Long story short you unscrew one screw on the SSD drive that holds it in place, (small clip on bottom of the SSD drive holds it in place as well), relocate the SS Drive to pci1 slot (closest to the CPUs). Then you relocate the fiber card to pci2. slot. Each involves taking out one screw then the boards pull out easily.

Then you place the new usb card into the pci5 slot. There is a cable that comes with the card. One end connects into the card, the other end has a four pin connector that connects to a connector on the inside of the front plate. VERY OBVIOUS.

It took about 15 minutes total. No driver updates. Put the top back on, connect the usb to the new port, turn the Extreme on and hit play.

If anyone is inserting their card and has an issue feel free to give me a call, be glad to help.
Bob, you need to do a USB unboxing and installation video! :)

Reactions: ctydwn

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Bob, you need to do a USB unboxing and installation video! :)
I SHOULD have done that, but I was so excited, just to hear it. Ever since, about 5 hours I can't stop listening. I listened to one album all the way through and then listened to it again all the way through. I was afraid to listen to another album and that it would not sound as good. The album was Touch by YELLO. It was an experience.

• Haha
Reactions: howiebrou

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
So what's the damage for this USB card? I might have missed it....
$1600 Euros is the price from Taiko. I am selling them for $2Kusd in the US with shipping/import included.

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Thanks Bob. That seems like a worthwhile upgrade.
Imho the best bang for the $$$ that any of us will spend this year.
Although TAS and the usb driver are hard to compete with , being that they were free:p

jbrrp1

Aug 3, 2020
Is the USB board useful only with the TAS driver? Or will it upgrade SQ for other installations? (I still have the Amanero USB input on my Pacific...)

EuroDriver

Sep 16, 2015
Monaco
Is the USB board useful only with the TAS driver? Or will it upgrade SQ for other installations? (I still have the Amanero USB input on my Pacific...)
I am testing the Taiko USB card with a Chord DAVE which has a Amanero USB receiver

the SQ uplift is similarly jaw dropping as it was with XMOS DAC’s with the Taiko Driver

Dare I say ? It sounds like this USB card is a game changer in computer audio playback

EuroDriver

Sep 16, 2015
Monaco
The no. 2 listening room in Oldenzaal with Magico A5. - we are very impressed

Oldenzaal is becoming a must visit destination for digital Audiophiles

Attachments

• A1C8A952-824A-4860-98D0-35B07F507F8E.jpeg
    A1C8A952-824A-4860-98D0-35B07F507F8E.jpeg
    283.9 KB · Views: 28

heebrog

May 12, 2018
Perth, WA
I am testing the Taiko USB card with a Chord DAVE which has a Amanero USB receiver

the SQ uplift is similarly jaw dropping as it was with XMOS DAC’s with the Taiko Driver

Dare I say ? It sounds like this USB card is a game changer in computer audio playback
Can your Extreme run 2 USB cards?

Earlier there was speculation that the USB card might have more effect for Amanero.
Is that not the case or too early to tell?

G

Blackmorec

Feb 1, 2019
I SHOULD have done that, but I was so excited, just to hear it. Ever since, about 5 hours I can't stop listening. I listened to one album all the way through and then listened to it again all the way through. I was afraid to listen to another album and that it would not sound as good. The album was Touch by YELLO. It was an experience.
Touch is a wholly engineered album with one of the most spectacular, 3 dimensional, immersive soundstages (Soundscape). The musical and spacial elements play together to create a continuous firework display of music flying around all over the soundspace it creates. The clever use of 2 channels and phase manipulation makes it almost hypnotic and mind altering in places. As I remember, the bass is really gorgeous sounding....created to be musically pleasing, it more than hits the mark. You can feel the bass as it energises the space it plays in, including the listener. There is a seemingly endless depth, a kind of ethereal, eternal nature to the soundscape created. You can hear incredible depth and transparency, like looking into space with no atmosphere to hinder the clarity. The interplay between instruments is mesmerising and the PR&T will practically bounce you out of your seat. A few of the tracks you may label as being a little ‘commercial’ but then they just take off into beautifully musical, highly mesmerising, mindblowingly spacial musical artistry. When played at realistic levels, this album, and several other Yello albums allow an extremely well resolved system to provide incredible listener involvement. Background thoughts are obliterated and the music absolutely takes over, with no extraneous thoughts intruding. If you liked Touch, try
Stella - Yello
Electrified - Boris Blank
Mettavolution - Rodrigo y Gabriela
Convergence - Malia
Whole Lotta Love - 2 cellos
Essentially albums where the music and the studio engineering share the same pinnacle of creativity that ideally exhibit and demonstrate the full capabilities of super accurate, highly resolving, fully involving systems like the Taiko Extreme.

Last edited:

EuroDriver

Sep 16, 2015
Monaco
Can your Extreme run 2 USB cards?

Earlier there was speculation that the USB card might have more effect for Amanero.
Is that not the case or too early to tell?

G
Theoretically one could install a second USB card but we would not recommend it

the SQ Delta on Amanero is in the same ball park as XMOS, quite transformative

its been a longtime since I have heard a DAVE

the charming harmonic sound signature is still the same

Reactions: heebrog and jbrrp1

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
After having the usb card playing for 12 hours of constant streaming (overnight) the resolution and transparency are VERY NOTICEABLE especially in the high frequencies, also in the midrange and down through the full spectrum to the lowest frequencies.

The soundstage is IMMENSE and each instrument is solidly placed on the soundstage and each string or stroke of each note on the piano jumps out at you as if the performers with their instruments are in the room. And I'm listening to a 70's rock album "America".

Three acoustic guitars are so clear from each other and you can hear different strings from each guitar SO clearly. It is also very cohesive and musical at the same time.

I agree with what Ed said above "Dare I say ? It sounds like this USB card is a game changer in computer audio playback". I can't say it any better than that.

I have to add that I am sitting here at 7:05am listening to an old rock album and I have goosebumps all over my arms.....enough said:p

Last edited:

LR319

May 7, 2019
My Pac just came back from Poland tour. Got the JL board updrade. Waiting for TAS + USB Board + USB Driver now. 2 weeks downtime but worth the wait.

Reactions: ctydwn and jbrrp1

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
"Broken record" sorry.

Last night I was a bit apprehensive to gush as much as I did. You never know if you are over-stating and exaggerating although I think I said plenty.

Today - if I was playing poker and had every dollar that I owned sitting in front of me, I would push it ALL into the center of the table/pot and say "ALL IN". You all are not going to believe it until you hear it.

nuway

Jun 26, 2019
Is this USB Board works best with or without network tweak?. I read Emile somewhere that using the M12 is not recommended with the New USB Card?

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Is this USB Board works best with or without network tweak?. I read Emile somewhere that using the M12 is not recommended with the New USB Card?
It will be interesting when someone experiments with it. For me I'm only using a Signature Gold Ethernet cable from a splitter into the Extreme usb card. The splitter is connected to a 50' long run of cheap copper cable to my Verizon Fios Router. The router has an Aurender on it, along with all of my wi-fi and a few other connections.

Coming from the splitter I do have two M12s/LPS feeding the Aurender, which the switches provide a big uptick in SQ for the N20 Aurender.

I have no further desire to experiment with it.

Reactions: nuway

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing