Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
Is this USB Board works best with or without network tweak?. I read Emile somewhere that using the M12 is not recommended with the New USB Card?

You should just experiment for yourself. In our big system it introduces obvious colouration, top end roll off and mutes dynamics. In our small system it's less obvious, there it is simply "dark" which can still be considered a good thing depending on system voicing.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
Really for all users.

We did actually start with that but changed to developing a switch as we figured out that was more efficient. Now the Extreme universe has changed with TAS and how the USB card turned out. We are currently modifying our switch design accordingly and will see how far we get with that first before deciding on reviving the network card project.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
How did you people get yours so fast????

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
I have to add that I am sitting here at 7:05am listening to an old rock album and I have goosebumps all over my arms.....enough said:p
Bob, sunrise today in NYC was at 6:50 am. Even werewolves return to human form in daylight. I guess audiophiles know no such limitations. :cool:

Reactions: ctydwn

cat6man

Feb 6, 2013
west of NYC, east of SF
"Broken record" sorry.

Last night I was a bit apprehensive to gush as much as I did. You never know if you are over-stating and exaggerating although I think I said plenty.

Today - if I was playing poker and had every dollar that I owned sitting in front of me, I would push it ALL into the center of the table/pot and say "ALL IN". You all are not going to believe it until you hear it.

Sounds like it's time for everyone to make this a true daily double!

Reactions: Rhapsody

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Bob, sunrise today in NYC was at 6:50 am. Even werewolves return to human form in daylight. I guess audiophiles know no such limitations. :cool:
And I had already been listening for an hour:cool:

Reactions: oldmustang

jbrrp1

Aug 3, 2020
Theoretically one could install a second USB card but we would not recommend it

the SQ Delta on Amanero is in the same ball park as XMOS, quite transformative

its been a longtime since I have heard a DAVE

the charming harmonic sound signature is still the same
So, I'm guessing that there is still a cumulative gain to be had by changing the Amanero USB out for the XMOS. Is this correct?

kswanson27

Nov 21, 2018

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Bob,

Have you switched back to Roon with the new USB card?
I did try it this morning, although only to listen to Radio Swiss Classic. I did NOT play any Qobuz or files, just the radio. I can't say whether I heard a big difference or not, but it was the MP3 internet radio. It sounded good, but it always sounds pretty good, BUT nothing like the streaming or files.

Reactions: Taiko Audio

Blackmorec

Feb 1, 2019
I have to say that this is far and away the most customer beneficial business model I’ve ever seen. I’m not even a product user but my admiration for what Emile and Taiko team are achieving is ‘Extremely’ high . For most, near all I’m guessing, the Extreme you bought is not at all the same as the Extreme you now own. The Extreme was the best Roon player on the planet.
If you‘d stayed with Roon there’s a good chance that aural supremacy would dwindle as other SW music players evolved mainly in the direction of music quality, and not with bundles of new , computer-resource-requiring features that contribute nothing to sound quality improvements.
Now you have an Extreme optimized for use with TAS, an operating system and resource allocation that ensure that all key processes have all the quality DC and processing power they need, ensuring that the process flows effortlessly with no unnecessary stops and starts and perfect timing where its required. Essentially it seems that the Extreme + TAS is the first piece of equipment on the planet that can dig out an almost perfect music stream from a completely unoptimized network to produce a close to perfect musical USB stream and present it perfectly to the DAC, cable notwithstanding. At the start, it required an uber excellent network as Roon didn’t have the capability to dig out and improve the signal to the degree that what’s presented to the DAC is almost perfect, but now with TAS, a custom driver and the new USB board, the perfect network has become unnecessary. That’s quite a massive improvement to the Extreme’s value proposition, given that a genuinely fully optimized network will set you back almost as much as an Extreme....but even a Roon based Extreme with the finest network still wouldn’t outperform a TAS - based system. That’s value for money given that all its cost is a new USB board. Quite remarkable in this day and age

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
I listened to Roon (I forgot how to use the interface), through the new usb card. I hate to say it, but I would be fine if this is what I had to listen to. It's not TAS, BUT it's REALLY GREAT sounding through the new USB card.

Last edited:

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
I hate to say it, but I like Roon with the new USB card as much as I liked TAS without the new USB card.....blasphemy:eek:

Then when you play the same track on TAS it's a NIGHT AND DAY difference from Roon. But Roon sounds really good through the new usb card.

Last edited:

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
I hate to say it, but I like Roon with the new USB card as much as I liked TAS without the new USB card.....blasphemy:eek:

Then when you play the same track on TAS it's a NIGHT AND DAY difference from Roon. But Roon sounds really good through the new usb card.

I’m personally even ranking Roon with the new USB card above TAS without. However the delta between the two with seems to have increased, to my ears atleast.

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
I’m personally even ranking Roon with the new USB card above TAS without. However the delta between the two with seems to have increased, to my ears atleast.
Thx. I thought I was crazy. Totally agreed.

Reactions: Taiko Audio

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing