Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
If I were Javier of Wadax, I will be unhappy/feel sorry after reading the "discussion" on this Extreme thread.
His supporter is making Wadax looks stupid.

To be frank, Wadax is a good brand.
Its products belong to the top league in the market.
I heard that a Reference Series server will be launched in 2020.
I am sure Javier wants the reputation of Wadax to be built NOT by queationing the success of other brands.

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
If I were Javier of Wadax, I will be unhappy/feel sorry after reading the "discussion" on this Extreme thread.
His supporter is making Wadax looks stupid.

To be frank, Wadax is a good brand.
Its products belong to the top league in the market.
I heard that a Reference Series server will be launched in 2020.
I am sure Javier wants the reputation of Wadax to be built NOT by queationing the success of other brands.

CK, no one could have said that better....thank you!

Last edited:
Reactions: CKKeung

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Well, the AE buzz on Wadax Reference dac would convince you that finally digital matches/exceeds analog on the hallowed turf of midrange density, pretty much the killer app of vinyl.

If that dac sounds as good as the buzz contends, and Extreme is pretty much shown now to be the peak of current server performance, future proofed for many years, this reference Wadax server is gonna have to pull out all the stops.

Throw in the humungous JMF universal disc transport for fun.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Well, the AE buzz on Wadax Reference dac would convince you that finally digital matches/exceeds analog on the hallowed turf of midrange density, pretty much the killer app of vinyl.

If that dac sounds as good as the buzz contends, and Extreme is pretty much shown now to be the peak of current server performance, future proofed for many years, this reference Wadax server is gonna have to pull out all the stops.

Throw in the humungous JMF universal disc transport for fun.

Can you point us a direct link to this buzz?

Stereophonic

Jun 9, 2013
Spain
Post removed. I would just like to state that this post was very disappointing in nature and I would hope to never have to read one like this again. We will not ban you but please be advised that if another post like this is made, we will show you the door.

We strive to be cordial, polite and constructive here at the WBF and this post was the exact opposite of what we are trying to achieve.

Consider this your first but final formal warning. We will not and cannot put up with bashing other members on this site. Thanks you and I wish you and yours a very happy holiday season.

Tom

Last edited by a moderator:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
Guys let's just calm the waters a bit can we? Let's clear the air and I'm sure all queries regarding the extreme can be answered without resorting to aggressive undertones from any party. I myself am trying to educate myself about the extreme and I'm sure like many rely on this thread for that purpose. I have also found that sending pm to Emile provides immediate responses and is well worth considering. :)

Reactions: Taiko Audio

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Howie,
Most of the members engaged in discussion on this thread are rational and polite and their opinions are based on fact or personal audition/experience.

And Emile as a brand owner/designer is both humble and neutral.
He never criticise other brands but enlightens us with a lot of useful tech info and CAS tricks.

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
Howie,
Most of the members engaged in discussion on this thread are rational and polite and their opinions are based on fact or personal audition/experience.

He never criticise other brands but enlightens us with a lot of useful tech info and CAS tricks.
CK, yes I agree with you of course. Just trying to reduce the bitch slapping!

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Howie,

As the evidence from the recent Daizas bruhaha clearly demonstrates.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Well
Just a significant link, please ... ;)
Well Francisco, in HK etc they're pointing to WBF re the buzz on MSB Select 2 being described in the same glowing terms.

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
Howie,

Thank you.

On that note, Marcin of JCAT / JPLAY send me the Telegartner magic and gold M12 switches for testing. I have only been listening to the gold so far and it's a nice switch. On its own it gives you a degree of clarity you get from Fiber, but retains more of the "warmth" of copper networking. It creates very palpable 3 dimensional images with a lot of air. Right now I'm running fiber to it using 2 Startech FMCs which gives it the same clarity as fiber alone but with an overall more rounded presentation. I still have to test using it in front of a fiber link. More detail to follow.

Romaz kindly offered to send me his Sotm switch stack after Christmas for testing, he has the maxed out versions.

As far as value for money goes, at 20-30% of the Extreme's retail, it does not give you that percentage of improvement, if you view it in the context of your total system investment, it is probably worth it. They undeniably work and it's a nice improvement. I do intend to test these with less elaborate server builds and I suspect the improvement can be more substantial with those.

Edit: The question here is how significant value for money is in high end. If you would ask me right now if I would buy one of these switches as a private person, I probably would. As a professional, these would be counter productive to my design process.

Last edited:

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com

I do not expect digital to ever sound the same as analogue. I am convinced you can enjoy music from both technologies to a similar degree. We seem to have reached a level of comparing apples to oranges, the mastering process , personal taste and conditioning determining which of the 2 formats you would consider to be superior. I do not see either replacing the other in the future, rather being used side by side, with their owners picking their source depending on mood and/or source material availability.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Emile, please report if you ever hear an Extreme install w Wadax Reference dac.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Emile, I think they might let you in Lol.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
I do think there's a system with the Wadax Reference DAC and the Extreme in Hong Kong. Maybe I would be allowed to visit that system when I am there.
That owner of both Ref DAC & Extreme is a good friend of mine.
I shall arrange. No problem!
;)

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Well, if there is still a qualitative difference btwn digital and analog, even at the highest level, it's analog mids density, what I term "carved from stone". The buzz on AE is that the Wadax Ref is the first digital to have cracked this barrier. AE listeners incl long standing vinylphiles are reporting no major shortfall in this area listening to music on this dac.

If that's true and not typical AE hyperbole, maybe a paradigm shift is happening.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing