Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
Communication between Switch and server is constant, although you can play files that are on the server directly from the server to the DAC via USB. As I do not have Extreme I will not say that Extreme is not immune to the noise of the switch (although I would be surprised) but in my Melco it is very clear. Change the quality of the switch's power supply or change a commercial switch to a modified one or "Audiophile Switch” and you will immediately notice the change in SQ, even if it transmits local files.

It does indeed affect both streaming and local file playback.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
It does indeed affect both streaming and local file playback.

I shouldn’t have said that a switch would have no effect since there is always communication going on but can you say how big an effect an external switch could have when you are playing local files? Do you think it could be significant?

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain
Hugely significant. Believe me I have done many tests.

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
I shouldn’t have said that a switch would have no effect since there is always communication going on but can you say how big an effect an external switch could have when you are playing local files? Do you think it could be significant?

There is continuous traffic on a network, therefor there is a continuous impact. Streaming increases traffic, so it will have an even bigger impact.

Reactions: onsionsi

dminches

Oct 22, 2011

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain
Yes but not that huge with the Extreme, though I’m starting to repeat myself here.

I do not say that it is not so. And it will surely make the increase in SQ with Switch like EtherREGEN and others, less significant, than with other servers.

Last edited:

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Yes, Steve's terminology is off. Ethernet can be done over copper or fiber. And funnily enough, with MSB DACs, you can do USB via fiber as well :D
Emile, I'm not recommend "stacking" either.
The poll is just that, a poll. How many of those have MSB DACs and have tried the Renderer w/ SoTM (or other switches)?
USB is by far the most prevalent connection method, and I know that. That doesn't make it automatically the best.

I'm doing USB over fiber right now with my 12 year old Playback Designs MPS-5 and the USB Xlll box which is essentially identical to the MSB USB Pro Interface

and yes I meant USB when I said copper

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
The whole subject of tweaks is complicated because there are SO many different configurations.

For example, if you have all your music on the internal Extreme drives and use USB I don’t see how a switch would make a difference. It would only affect music streamed from Tidal/Qobuz. But if the music was external then it could make a difference.
My music is on 16 TB of internal cards of the Extreme so perhaps that is also affecting my comments

Alex your opinion of what is the best music is respectfully, that. ....an opinion. I appreciate that but I have zero desire to pursue it because what I'm hearing now with a 12 yo DAC is pretty friggin'' amazing, with the knowledge that a new DAC will be even better

Reactions: Taiko Audio

Blackmorec

Feb 1, 2019
Communication between Switch and server is constant, although you can play files that are on the server directly from the server to the DAC via USB. As I do not have Extreme I will not say that Extreme is not immune to the noise of the switch (although I would be surprised) but in my Melco it is very clear. Change the quality of the switch's power supply or change a commercial switch to a modified one or "Audiophile Switch” and you will immediately notice the change in SQ, even if it transmits local files.
This is exactly my experience with various Innuos servers. Anything that removes or isolates noise from the network supply to the server, has a direct affect on the server’s output, regardless where the files originate, local or remote. It seems that as long as the server is connected to the network, network noise will find its way to the server unless countermeasures are implemented. .
There’s no doubt that the Extreme has a lot of measures to block noise but the very fact that isolation via optical makes a difference and that different optical systems result in different levels of sound quality indicated that the Extreme is not immune for network-borne noise. Therefore, if a switch upstream of an Extreme is capable of removing noise and jitter to a significant degree, its a rather high likelihood that SQ will improve.
Please note that I’m talking upstream.....downstream is an entirely different conundrum. There I’ve sound that a simple high quality cable connection between server and DAC provides the. highest fidelity. Of course its only one man’s experience

gds7368

VIP/Donor
Jan 9, 2015
Why not just unplug any network cables from the back of the Extreme when listening to locally stored files?

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Why not just unplug any network cables from the back of the Extreme when listening to locally stored files?

Then you lose control of Roon (unless there is a wireless option).

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com

It is not even that big a difference:

I noticed a small difference in sound quality when I took the network cable out of the Extreme when playing files from PCIe drives . It is why I am interested in trying optimal fibre optics - I currently just have an optical link using TPlink media converters before the listening room Netgear 108 router .

joaovieira

Feb 16, 2013
Brazil

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Curiously I find that the USB cable changes more the sound of my system than any router modification I have tried. I am using the Intona Reference but after sampling a few other cables (unfortunately I could not keep them time enough to get a definitive opinion) I would like to find an USB cable with a more "liquid" balance in the treble, like moving from the Audio Research Ref 40 to the GAT2 preamplfier.

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
Curiously I find that the USB cable changes more the sound of my system than any router modification I have tried. I am using the Intona Reference but after sampling a few other cables (unfortunately I could not keep them time enough to get a definitive opinion) I would like to find an USB cable with a more "liquid" balance in the treble, like moving from the Audio Research Ref 40 to the GAT2 preamplfier.

My first suggestion would be to try a Sablon then.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing