Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

Indeed, our USB driver cannot support the Amanero interface, you can still change buffersizes using the driver supplied by Amanero but with a much more limited adjustment range.

The bottom line is you can use a DAC with an Amanero interface just fine but you will then lack a few more advanced SQ enhancing options which our own USB driver provides.

XDMS only supports USB, AES/EBU, SPDIF. For networked endpoints it only supports those sporting a network ASIO driver like RAVENNA (Merging DACs).
Hi , The prior Nagra HD DAC had Amanero USB interface, but cannot find what USB interface the newer Tube DAC has...will XDMS new software work with Nagra Tube DAC USB input? Thx for any advice...

Hi , The prior Nagra HD DAC had Amanero USB interface, but cannot find what USB interface the newer Tube DAC has...will XDMS new software work with Nagra Tube DAC USB input? Thx for any advice...
The Nagra Tube DAC has the same USB receiver as the flagship HD-X

We have received reports from Tube DAC owners being very happy with the sound they are getting

Reactions: ctydwn
OK that's a relief!!..Thx for the heads up. I am also very happy with Tube DAC, still on original Taiko OS from purchase, awaiting XDMS and new ethernet connection..

The Nagra Tube DAC has the same USB receiver as the flagship HD-X

We have received reports from Tube DAC owners being very happy with the sound they are getting
I am using the Tube DAC with Roon / USB Settings 2 and it sounds spectacular!
Update to my earlier post after adding a Daiza under the Tube DAC: the USB cord was not quite fully inserted and this likely caused the soundstage width to narrow. It pulled out slightly when I installed the Daiza. It’s amazing how everything matters!

Reactions: EuroDriver
Does it take time for the Extreme to sound its best after a Restart? I keep it on 24-7, but I’m having trouble with Roon which requires a restart to fix. Another reason the switch to XDMS will be welcome: Roon company support is non-existent!

Last edited:
Does it take time for the Extreme to sound its best after a Restart? I keep it on 24-7, but I’m having trouble with Roon which requires a restart to fix. Another reason to switch the XDMS (and Roon company support is non-existent).

It is a computer so a restart does temporarily change things. I haven’t felt the time to return to “best” sound is long. Frankly, I think there is value to doing periodic (every 2-3 weeks) restarts. Not sure if the Taiko team agrees.

Surge what kind of trouble with Roon?

Surge what kind of trouble with Roon?
Every 1-2 days it won’t play tracks. It runs through a track really quickly as if it’s playing it, but it doesn’t connect to the DAC. Restarting the Extreme does it. I suppose I could try quitting Roon and reloading it as well; but I just use VNC to restart the machine.
Not really a big deal since I won’t use Roon once XDMS arrives…

That's strange that it is intermittent? Regardless where you wind up it shouldn't be doing that. Maybe uninstall and then reinstall Roon?

@Surge1 Check and make sure your Roon Remote is the same 'Build Number' as the Core.

That could be it, which would explain intermittent.

Thanks. They are not the same build number! The Remote is 1.8 (935) and the Core is 1.8 (936). It’s not prompting an update so not sure how to force the Remote to update?
I have the same versions. I suspect a 936 for tablet is forthcoming.

218D7080-9F58-4F79-9958-67561DE26FE8.jpeg

I also have the same versions, so this, I don't think, is the problem you are having with Roon.

I wish that I could listen to Roon:( But every time that I test a track in TAS vs the same track in Roon there is such a sonic difference I can't bare to listen to Roon:(

Rhapsody, is Roon sounding so bad compared to TAS because of some compatibly issue? Or is TAS just that much better? This is hard for me to comprehend. My Extreme won't be here until the end of the month. I'm currently using ROON, Emm's DV2/NS1 (upgraded opti-link) with a external hard drive into a Nucleus, LPS, and a M12 switch. With Qobuz and Tidal. My streaming with this setup is excellent. I'm expecting Taiko to completely out perform what I currently have whether its Roon or TAS. Just a little dumbfounded with the EXTREME difference in SQ...John

Good morning John,

There’s no real way to discuss this until you have your Extreme and can listen to the differences for yourself.

Many people are totally happy with the sound of Roon. And everyone’s room and system is different and their ears are different as well.
For many people convenience and the incredible user interface of Roon trumps sound quality.

I love the Roon interface. Although sound quality trumps convenience for me personally when I am listening.

In my system or I should say systems TAS sound significantly better than Roon. But that is for me maybe someone else would listen and feel differently.
I’m sure your system and Roon sounds great. I personally would not be worrying about this or thinking about this until you get your extreme and then you can make your own judgments. It’s very difficult to listen to other peoples experiences and understand exactly what they are hearing in different rooms with different systems and different music and different personal preferences.

Just hold on for a bit longer as you shall be entering the gateway to sonic bliss. Of course Imho.

Enjoy your Sunday!

Last edited:
Well said, Words Of Wisdom that I actually know. Perspective is a good thing. Thank You for the reminder. The disease takes over and anticipation gets the better of me! Enjoy this day, and Thanks Again...John

Reactions: Rhapsody
Well said, Words Of Wisdom that I actually know. Perspective is a good thing. Thank You for the reminder. The disease takes over and anticipation gets the better of me! Enjoy this day, and Thanks Again...John
Here is what I am listening to this morning via Extreme/TAS....

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing