Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

So, it appears our paradigm is shifting! Audiophile Switch(s) -- goodbye; Linear Power Supplies for Switch(s) -- goodbye ; After-market clocks for Switch(s) -- goodbye ; Audiophile ethernet cables -- goodbye.

I'm wondering about one network tweak I was preparing to implement: that is, to hack and bypass my all-in-one crappy ATT Modem/Router so that I can use a separate router (like Edge Router).

I recall Emile saying awhile back that he was finding the Switch to not be critical, but that he thought a focus of improving at the Router end would be fruitful.

With the new normal at hand, do you believe it will still be useful to focus on improving the Router end of the network?
I still keep my swiches and power supplys as well as cables .
This is a must to have in my system. Waiting for Emile to create his router or swich.

I asked the ISP to turn modem into transparent mode.
Than I sent that modem to Jord to replace the clock with PinkFaun ultra.
It is all powered by DC4 arc6 rails.
Than I connected the Dream Machine pro router ( same Emile has) to act as a main brain.
It is as big difference as the last OS upate Emile did with his magic hands.

Reactions: MarkusBarkus
I still keep my swiches and power supplys as well as cables .
This is a must to have in my system. Waiting for Emile to create his router or swich.

I asked the ISP to turn modem into transparent mode.
Than I sent that modem to Jord to replace the clock with PinkFaun ultra.
It is all powered by DC4 arc6 rails.
Than I connected the Dream Machine pro router ( same Emile has) to act as a main brain.
It is as big difference as the last OS upate Emile did with his magic hands.
Hi Kris,

I’m trying to see if I understood your point correctly:

So the changes you made to your switches and power supplies created a Delta positive improvement over your original switches/power supplies in the sonic performance of your system PRIOR to the last OS update Emile did.

And then, after installing Emile’s OS update you got another DELTA or greater increase in the sonic performance of your system?

So that in effect, you’ve gotten a 2*DELTA or greater improvement over your original switches/power supplies in the sonic performance of your system? Is that correct?

All this talk about the upgrades is soul destroying. I've been unable to get home for about 6 weeks. Even my Roon hasn't even been updated. I think I'm 2 updates behind now. And certainly no way to get any Taiko updates as everything is off and I can't get access from overseas anyway.o_O

Many of us have shielded LAN cable installed in-wall. It may be impractical to run an external unshielded cable. If it is the shielding that conduct noise, can we just use a RJ45 connector to connect a cat 6 unshielded cable just before the extreme?
Disconnecting the shield would indeed break that connection.

Last edited:
On the subject of shielded and un-sheilded: If a cable with shielding connectors also has a floating ground does that eliminated concern over shared ground plane between the Switch and Server? Might this design be the best combination?

Yes, I would just suggest to always use a standard unshielded cat5 cable as a reference and carefully evaluate every audiophile grade component you introduce versus that reference.

Last edited:
Reactions: kyoya78
All this talk about the upgrades is soul destroying. I've been unable to get home for about 6 weeks. Even my Roon hasn't even been updated. I think I'm 2 updates behind now. And certainly no way to get any Taiko updates as everything is off and I can't get access from overseas anyway.o_O

That’s rough. I just tucked away one update for you so you can be sure we won’t have run when you finally return home!

In same position Emile, actually not far from you at the moment. Save one for me too!;)

Reactions: Taiko Audio
That’s rough. I just tucked away one update for you so you can be sure we won’t have run when you finally return home!
He's hoping he'll have some apple pie waiting too.

Reactions: Bobvin
Am I misunderstanding some threads. I feel I am hearing hear and on the Wadax thread that servers are getting so good the network data equipment is becoming irrelevant.

Yet I also think I'm hearing the manufacturer of these servers are soon to launch their own network data equipment?????

Are we about to come of an age where you purchase a server, and then get a modem, router and switch that are "Tuned" to optimal with the server.

Reactions: marty
Taiko clearly has the best understanding of the mechanisms at work, and clearly no voodoo in your boxes, just pure science. I sent ya a email. I would love a chat. I want to find a way to try and actually measure things that correlate to what we all hear with these digital streams.
I always applaud legitimate scientific inquiry. I anticipate that your conversations with the Taiko team will be very productive.

Reactions: Xymox
Everyone's system is dfferent.

I have two JCAT switches with two LPS's and JCAT Gold Sig connecting cables.

I disconnected the lan cable coming form the wall/router that connects into the first switch and connected it directly into the Extreme, taking the switches/LPSs/cables out of the system . I was HOPING that the sound would be better or at least as good.

it wasn't...sigh.

At least I know I’m starting with the ‘reference’ position… my patch cord from wall to Extreme is just an off-the-shelf cat5 cable that probably shipped with some piece of network switch/NAS/router. As basic as it gets.

I’ll look forward to new Taiko products, but will likely upgrade that patch cord too.

Everyone's system is dfferent.

I have two JCAT switches with two LPS's and JCAT Gold Sig connecting cables.

I disconnected the lan cable coming form the wall/router that connects into the first switch and connected it directly into the Extreme, taking the switches/LPSs/cables out of the system . I was HOPING that the sound would be better or at least as good.

it wasn't...sigh.

A very sensible approach, Rhapsody, and one I urge all to try. There really is not a single correct answer.

Start with the direct attach from router to establish a new baseline, and then add back your previous network voodoo elements one by one.

My results mirror yours. My switch chain still makes a difference. Sigh, indeed!

I suggest anyone working with their own Cat 6 use these connectors. See link. What makes these superior to others outside the simplicity, is the design keeps all the strands the same length.

Xymox has done some pretty amazing work I have followed in the past. It would be great if someone such as himself could help us know what are optimum lengths of CAT 6 or higher to reduce reflections or other influences that impact digital playback. And how tight are the tolerance.

FWIW, these Belden ends can be shielded or unshielded. If you have a shielded cable, you can fairly easily re-terminate one end with a non shielded jack and break the ground connection.

https://www.belden.com/products/con...ctors/copper-rj45-jacks/cat6-keyconnect-jacks

/watch?v=NqtxUO3cyk8

Reactions: Taiko Audio

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing