Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
Big thanks to Emile updating the OS for me late last night. I listened to it tonight and yes there is a big SQ improvement. After updating the Roon and familiarizing I have listened for an hour or so and it is better than the HQplayer/NAA I was using before. I am using the Holo Audio May and I am still experimenting with the 4 USB profiles. USB 3 comes out better than the others in my system. I checked the DAC list and I just wonder anything special about USBx in the line of Holo Audio May? I also have the Denafrips Terminator Plus and any suggestion which USB profile will work best for it? Thanks.

Hi,

You are actually the only one, as far as I know, owning those DACs, the USB dumps do not give us sufficient information to extrapolate the optimal profile. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but it appears you will really need to listen to what's best. Please do share your experiences so we can update the list!

jelt2359

Nov 17, 2020
Thanks for all the feedback. How important is it to eliminate all fibre before the Extreme? I have a long run of fibre from the living room to my study that also serves to extend internet access throughout my apartment; I guess I could run a very long unshielded cable from the Extreme to the living room but that would take a lot of time and effort!

QuantumWave

Feb 5, 2021
Quick question to Taiko team on 3rd party software. I have installed PGGB on the Taiko, simply because of lack of other mean to process such files. My understanding is that PGGB isn’t running, but I can imagine it might still degrade sound quality indirectly via registry being crowded etc… would you recommend getting rid of PGGB or would say this falls within what is acceptable? A few others with Dave DACs might be in the same boat hence I thought to post here.

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
Quick question to Taiko team on 3rd party software. I have installed PGGB on the Taiko, simply because of lack of other mean to process such files. My understanding is that PGGB isn’t running, but I can imagine it might still degrade sound quality indirectly via registry being crowded etc… would you recommend getting rid of PGGB or would say this falls within what is acceptable? A few others with Dave DACs might be in the same boat hence I thought to post here.

I don't know, sorry!

Reactions: QuantumWave

onlychild

Sep 18, 2019
There is no longer a difference between LAN1 and LAN2, apart from LAN1 being slightly "directer", you'd probably be challenged to hear a difference between the 2.
Interesting. Wondering if another source of the HF noise I was hearing on day one was Roon doing its database update since I hadn’t used it in years.

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
Interesting. Wondering if another source of the HF noise I was hearing on day one was Roon doing its database update since I hadn’t used it in years.

You cannot connect until it finishes doing the database update. If it rescans your library you'll see a spinning animated icon (circle) at the top of your remote screen.

onlychild

Sep 18, 2019
You cannot connect until it finishes doing the database update. If it rescans your library you'll see a spinning animated icon (circle) at the top of your remote screen.
Yes, I meant rescanning my music. That spinning icon was there for most of day one.

QuantumWave

Feb 5, 2021
... and thanks to Emile super-hyper-duper-responsiveness, we could even make a A-B test, so conclusion ---> if you want an upgrade, either buy a new component or remove a software, both give a nice uptick !
One of the latter is cheaper .. and less obvious to the spouse :) PGGB was indeed refraining things a bit, now things sound more effortless. Now I am on trying to remove my switch - less is more apparently is the new moto

oldmustang

Dec 1, 2012
Best advice.....when Emile talks, the community should listen. Truly this is a case where less is more. Time for people to shed all of their tweaks and stop trying to second guess Emile by adding things that not only serve no purpose but in reality have a negative effect on their overall sound quality. Time for people to emerge from the rabbit hole. If the new OS update along with Emile's recommendations hasn't convinced you yet that less is more.........I have followed Emile's recommendations since day one and have never deviated from any of his recommendations and with all of the updates it just seems so obvious...........

Everyone should just sit back and enjoy the ride. Air Taiko and Captain Emile at the helm giving specific instructions should be the flight we all take to reach the Nirvana we all seek
I hear you, Steve. Some of us just have to test the guardrails though. A character flaw that gave my parents grey hair.

Steve Z

wil

Jul 22, 2015
So, it appears our paradigm is shifting! Audiophile Switch(s) -- goodbye; Linear Power Supplies for Switch(s) -- goodbye ; After-market clocks for Switch(s) -- goodbye ; Audiophile ethernet cables -- goodbye.

I'm wondering about one network tweak I was preparing to implement: that is, to hack and bypass my all-in-one crappy ATT Modem/Router so that I can use a separate router (like Edge Router).

I recall Emile saying awhile back that he was finding the Switch to not be critical, but that he thought a focus of improving at the Router end would be fruitful.

With the new normal at hand, do you believe it will still be useful to focus on improving the Router end of the network?

kswanson27

Nov 21, 2018
So, it appears our paradigm is shifting! Audiophile Switch(s) -- goodbye; Linear Power Supplies for Switch(s) -- goodbye ; After-market clocks for Switch(s) -- goodbye ; Audiophile ethernet cables -- goodbye.

I'm wondering about one network tweak I was preparing to implement: that is, to hack and bypass my all-in-one crappy ATT Modem/Router so that I can use a separate router (like Edge Router).

I recall Emile saying awhile back that he was finding the Switch to not be critical, but that he thought a focus of improving at the Router end would be fruitful.

With the new normal at hand, do you believe it will still be useful to focus on improving the Router end of the network?
FWIW I'm going to hang tough on any network tweaks until Emile either comes out with his router/modem/switch, whatever it is, or until he gives us more info and a timeline for it's release. XDMS will be the next big change for me.

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
FWIW I'm going to hang tough on any network tweaks until Emile either comes out with his router/modem/switch, whatever it is, or until he gives us more info and a timeline for it's release. XDMS will be the next big change for me.
+1
I see there's a revolution in place now to get rid of network switches with their LPS's that were all the rage only a year or two ago. From what I'm reading, there is not a clear separation of effects between all the boxes, and the connectors used between them. Fiber suddenly seems to be a leading culprit among those with performance complaints. Isn't it a bit presumptuous to suddenly think that getting rid of network switches is a panacea or that these devices aren't useful at all? Will you say that when Taiko comes out with their own switch? If you have a swItch now, I wouldn't trash it just yet. Try your system with it in and with it out and then decide. Personally, my SOtM w LPS makes a difference when it's in so it's a keeper...until Emile comes out with his switch.

penny for emile.jpg

Last edited:

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
FWIW, I still prefer TAS over Roon in my system. The difference has gotten smaller but I find TAS to sound more pleasing.

I will revisit in a couple days after all the Roon update stuff and scanning is completely settled in.

audioquattr

VIP/Donor
Sep 7, 2016
Netherlands
+1
I see there's a revolution in place now to get rid of network switches with their LPS's that were all the rage only a year or two ago. From what I'm reading, there is not a clear separation of effects between all the boxes, and the connectors used between them. Fiber suddenly seems to be a leading culprit among those with performance complaints. Isn't it a presumptuous to suddenly think that getting rid of network switches is a panacea or that these devices aren't useful at all? Will you say that when Taiko comes out with their own switch? If you have a swItch now, I wouldn't trash it just yet. Try your system with it in and with it out and then decide. Personally, my SOtM w LPS makes a difference when it's in so it's a keeper...until Emile comes out with his switch.

View attachment 89351

Agree.
I still use a good switch.
From my home inletbox(incl wifi) a 50ft stock cat 6 cable to the switch and from there a 6 feet (not shielded cable and connectors) cable in to the Extreme.
With this setup i tested the countless (100 ++) different OS and usb and network configurations for this latest software update. During this last 6 weeks of testing i tried as well without switch and just a router and all kind of cables. But the above setup was the best. Also much much better than fiber.

Yes this works absolutely fine, until Emile comes with a switch :) .

Kris

Mar 4, 2019
+1
I see there's a revolution in place now to get rid of network switches with their LPS's that were all the rage only a year or two ago. From what I'm reading, there is not a clear separation of effects between all the boxes, and the connectors used between them. Fiber suddenly seems to be a leading culprit among those with performance complaints. Isn't it a presumptuous to suddenly think that getting rid of network switches is a panacea or that these devices aren't useful at all? Will you say that when Taiko comes out with their own switch? If you have a swItch now, I wouldn't trash it just yet. Try your system with it in and with it out and then decide. Personally, my SOtM w LPS makes a difference when it's in so it's a keeper...until Emile comes out with his switch.

View attachment 89351
I keep my Buffalo 2016 switches.
The difference with and without them is smaller than it was before but is still significant.
The difference is much biggger if you have Pinkfaun ultra clocks installed and all supplyed by DC4 arc6 rails.

Reactions: MarkusBarkus

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
IMO the smartest comment of the day

EuroDriver

Sep 16, 2015
Monaco
Agree.
I still use a good switch.
From my home inletbox(incl wifi) a 50ft stock cat 6 cable to the switch and from there a 6 feet (not shielded cable and connectors) cable in to the Extreme.
With this setup i tested the countless (100 ++) different OS and usb and network configurations for this latest software update. During this last 6 weeks of testing i tried as well without switch and just a router and all kind of cables. But the above setup was the best. Also much much better than fiber.

Yes this works absolutely fine, until Emile comes with a switch :) .
Audioquattr deserves a major shout out from all on the Taiko Team. He has contributed so much to the tuning and optimization of TAS from the very begining, and lately the major Extreme OS upgrade.

We all look forward to working even more intensly with Audioquattro going forward to reach new sonic highs

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing