Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
I think in my setup, I'm more simply trying to compare with or without the Melco switch:

1. Router > lan > OM > FO (70') > eRegen > lan > Melco > EXT

2. Router> lan > OM > FO > EXT

The eRegen in option 2 functions only as another FMC so that the Melco can be in the chain.
I could, however, switch up the FMC set up and put the eRegen first and the OM second.

Wil,
what is the reason for all these conversions from copper to fiber and fiber to copper in your set-up?
1. OM copper to fiber
2. ER fiber to copper
3. Melco copper to fiber
4. EXT fiber to copper

Sorry, I do not understand it. If you want a FMC only the OM is certainly the best device.
As I understand Emile it might be an SQ advantage to feed the Extreme with fiber.
However, in my view it does not make sense to have multiple conversions.

Best

Matt

Last edited:

wil

Jul 22, 2015
Wil,
what is the reason for all these conversions from copper to fiber and fiber to copper in your set-up?
1. OM copper to fiber
2. ER fiber to copper
3. Melco copper to fiber
4. EXT fiber to copper

Sorry, I do not understand it. If you want a FMC only the OM is the certainly the best device.
As I understand Emile it might be an advantage to feed the Extreme with fiber.
In my view it does not make sense to have multiple conversions.

Best

Matt
I does seem overly complex, and I'm hoping the straight OM > fiber > EXT option will end up sounding as good or better!

The reason for all the conversions is to allow for three things:
1. to use fiber for the 70' distance from modem/router to the audio system
2. to insert the Melco into the chain
3. to use fiber in the last leg to the EXT

If the Melco could take fiber in and fiber out, it would eliminate the need for two conversions. The Melco does have two SFP ports, but I've never been able to get them to work fiber in > fiber out. Which is frustrating...

Thanks, Will

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
I does seem overly complex, and I'm hoping the straight OM > fiber > EXT option will end up sounding as good or better!

Hopefully, good luck :)

Matt

MarkusBarkus

Feb 6, 2021
I am only a week into my Extreme project, but am using fiber into the Extreme to good effect, so far.

In my case, I have both an OM and PFBuffalo switch in the chain, and fiber into the home.

This network is 100% dedicated to audio. Everything else on copper from a different ISP.

It's too early to be swapping around gear, but my testing will be: OM vs. PFBuffalo. It would probably bring tears to remove that PFB...

Reactions: wil

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Has anyone had issues with TAS where the music stops playing and won’t restart unless you clear the queue and re-add music? This happens to me pretty often, especially if I have over 20 songs in the queue. It won’t restart even if I hit the play button either on the “playing” page or in the queue.

oldmustang

Dec 1, 2012
Has anyone had issues with TAS where the music stops playing and won’t restart unless you clear the queue and re-add music? This happens to me pretty often, especially if I have over 20 songs in the queue. It won’t restart even if I hit the play button either on the “playing” page or in the queue.
I've found from time to time it's helpful to either turn off and restart the mode of TAS I'm using or sometimes completely shutdown and restart the app when I'm having weirdness with the queue.

I haven't experienced the same problem you describe, but I have experienced things like adding a track to the queue and finding two line items in the queue for that track, or most recently finding that streaming selections appear to be loading but never play, either sequentially as the next item up, or when hitting the Play icon for a streaming track.

A restart of the player has cured both problems so far.

Steve Z

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
I've found from time to time it's helpful to either turn off and restart the mode of TAS I'm using or sometimes completely shutdown and restart the app when I'm having weirdness with the queue.

I haven't experienced the same problem you describe, but I have experienced things like adding a track to the queue and finding two line items in the queue for that track, or most recently finding that streaming selections appear to be loading but never play, either sequentially as the next item up, or when hitting the Play icon for a streaming track.

A restart of the player has cured both problems so far.

Steve Z

What is the best way to restart the player?

Do you ever have 2-3 hours of music in your queue at one time? Just trying to understand how you use TAS.

cat6man

Feb 6, 2013
west of NYC, east of SF

i found odd things with over 20 in the queue if i was using gapless/batch.
this is a known beta limitation for batch/gapless.
i think (?) i had to change players (gapless-->serial) to fix it, but i'm not positive about that.

i don't see any of those problems with serial playback and queues of over >100 tracks/11 hours.

Last edited:

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
i found odd things with over 20 in the queue if i was using gapless/batch.
there is a known beta limitation for batch/gapless.
i think (?) i had to change players (gapless-->serial) to fix it, but i'm not about that.

i don't see any of those problems with serial playback and queues of over >100 tracks/11 hours.

Thanks, good to know. Frankly, I just want to make sure the issue isn’t just with my setup.

Right now I am running the Extreme all day to break it in which is why I am adding a lot of tracks. Sounds like I should just use serial play.

seatrope

Mar 9, 2017
I have predominantly used serial and not batch play, and have never experienced what you described David.

Reactions: dminches

oldmustang

Dec 1, 2012
What is the best way to restart the player?

Do you ever have 2-3 hours of music in your queue at one time? Just trying to understand how you use TAS.
I can't tell you what the best way to restart the player is, but here is what I do --

1. Tap the "System Settings" icon (page 20, TAS Manual v1.1)

2. On the System Settings page, the current mode of operation (direct, batch, HQPlayer) will have its little slider switch icon showing green with the slider to the right. Slide the switch to the left to turn off that mode.

3. After the player is off, slide the selector switch icon back the right again to turn on that mode.

Lower down on the same window, you can also select between TAS and Roon, however my understanding it this doesn't actually turn off TAS, which remains active in the background.

Finally, the bottom item on the System Settings page is "Restart Extreme" which will reboot the Extreme.

Screen Shot 2021-03-07 at 1.48.08 PM.png

Last edited:
Reactions: dminches

seatrope

Mar 9, 2017
Thanks, good to know. Frankly, I just want to make sure the issue isn’t just with my setup.

Right now I am running the Extreme all day to break it in which is why I am adding a lot of tracks. Sounds like I should just use serial play.
PS I kept the extreme playing nonstop with serial play to burn it in. I had a bill Evans album playing and 5 days later it was still going (had a bad work week so coukdnt listen at all).

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
PS I kept the extreme playing nonstop with serial play to burn it in. I had a bill Evans album playing and 5 days later it was still going (had a bad work week so coukdnt listen at all).

I am listening to “Everybody Dig Bill Evans” as I type...

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Love that. But I love Toots Thielemans as well, so it was “Affinity” that was playing for 5 days :)

My “best’ Bill Evans is my “Waltz for Debby” reel.

I am only 5 days into the process so I know I have a ways to go.

oldmustang

Dec 1, 2012

There is a little icon shown on page 6 of the TAS manual for repeat which will keep keep either the current selection or the whole queue playing continuously which might better serve your needs, though I haven't had a need to limit the number of selections in my queue in Direct mode.

Screen Shot 2021-03-07 at 1.52.38 PM.png

Last edited:

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Yea, repeat really is what I should be doing.

Reading the entire manual would help also but it sounds like changes are in store...

cat6man

Feb 6, 2013
west of NYC, east of SF
Yea, repeat really is what I should be doing.

Reading the entire manual would help also but it sounds like changes are in store...

my 11 hour playlist includes all resolutions and pcm/dsd, so i get to exercise all 24 bits to my totalDAC :)
wouldn't want the first 16 bits burned in and not the last 8 lsb, right?:p

EuroDriver

Sep 16, 2015
Monaco
Don't clear the Queue while the music is playing.

This is a known to break the command interface and will be fixed in the second Beta release

Reactions: ctydwn

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I have been asked by several Extreme owners where best to place the Center Stage 1.5 footers under the Extreme

I found that the 1.5's work best when placed inside the stock feet but the two in the front are pushed forward and the two in the rear are pushed back so that they sit just under the edge of the Extreme

Here are a few photos that I attached in a different thread

Reactions: micky22

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing