T+A SDV 3100 opinions?

tdx44

Feb 13, 2023
Hi everyone,

I'm gearing to replace my current DAC (Esoteric N-05XD), which, while really nice, still makes me want to explore other (higher-priced) options. I'm a mostly HP guy, so I would be using my Riviera AIC10 amp and Susvara HPs with most of my listening done through Roon/HQPlayer with a very powerful PC for upsampling.

One DAC that I was considering was the T+A DAC 200 since it's very HQplayer-facing (can do DSD1204 etc). But then I realized it might be just a sidegrade to my Esoteric DAC. But then I was able to find a good deal on T+A's top DAC, the SDV 3100 HV. Things is, it will be hard for me to audition, so I'd love to get some feedback if anyone has some.

My other #1 choice would be the MSB Premier, but for the same price I would pay for the SDV 3100 I would only be able to get the base unit with the standard power base and maybe one Pro USB module. So, for the same amount of money, not sure which of the two would bring the most sonic improvement over the Esoteric.

Which one would you fine people recommend?

Thanks!

Googaliser

VIP/Donor
Mar 31, 2019
Hi everyone,

I'm gearing to replace my current DAC (Esoteric N-05XD), which, while really nice, still makes me want to explore other (higher-priced) options. I'm a mostly HP guy, so I would be using my Riviera AIC10 amp and Susvara HPs with most of my listening done through Roon/HQPlayer with a very powerful PC for upsampling.

One DAC that I was considering was the T+A DAC 200 since it's very HQplayer-facing (can do DSD1204 etc). But then I realized it might be just a sidegrade to my Esoteric DAC. But then I was able to find a good deal on T+A's top DAC, the SDV 3100 HV. Things is, it will be hard for me to audition, so I'd love to get some feedback if anyone has some.

My other #1 choice would be the MSB Premier, but for the same price I would pay for the SDV 3100 I would only be able to get the base unit with the standard power base and maybe one Pro USB module. So, for the same amount of money, not sure which of the two would bring the most sonic improvement over the Esoteric.

Which one would you fine people recommend?

Thanks!
Having previously owned the T+A HV stack for a couple of years - I felt they were seriously underrated. The DAC was especially capable - and the customer service was first class. I would have no hesitation recommending them.

Reactions: Malcng and tdx44

tdx44

Feb 13, 2023
Having previously owned the T+A HV stack for a couple of years - I felt they were seriously underrated. The DAC was especially capable - and the customer service was first class. I would have no hesitation recommending them.
Thank you. I actually ended up going with a fully loaded MSB Premier instead for a number of reasons (price difference, upgradability, ease of repair). But I'll definitely try to audition the SDV 3100 one day...

Googaliser

VIP/Donor
Mar 31, 2019
Thank you. I actually ended up going with a fully loaded MSB Premier instead for a number of reasons (price difference, upgradability, ease of repair). But I'll definitely try to audition the SDV 3100 one day...
Now that you are on the MSB train - I doubt you will revisit T+A. Enjoy!

Reactions: tdx44

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing